Wooden slat walls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wooden slat walls?

Hello, For our garage haunt "The Forsaken Crypt" I was wondering if a wooden slat wall get up would look as professional as it can go. Any suggestions or tips?
    Matthew Colton
    Frightworld America's Screampark
    http://www.frightworld.com/

When you say wooden slat wall "get up", do you mean something that a person could wear, or otherwise move around in, or an actual stationary wall? For plain old walls and such, I actually have access to some really decrepit looking old fence pickets, but I've seen artistic haunters make good facsimiles out of cardboard strips. Cardboard would, of course, be much lighter to set up and move, and if your haunt is entirely inside, you won't need to worry about the elements(I produce a hayride, so I think about wind and rain a lot).

If you're looking for something that can be worn and will flex with an actor's movements, you'll probably want to find some foam rubber, probably 1/2 inch thick or so, and paints that will:

a.) Stay on,
    b.) Flex with the foam and
    c.) Not destroy the foam.

That probably means latex, which fortunately is easy to come by. You can even get mismatched buckets on the cheap(relatively) and have them tinted to the colors you like.

I hope some of this helped. Once I know more about exactly what you're looking for, I'll be happy to help you get the look you're going for.

Howdy to all on the boards, by the way! I have a mild parenthesis addiction, so I hope my writing style isn't too distracting.
    Last edited by DogStar; 07-16-2009, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Pallet Walls

Depending on your layout, pallets should work just fine. You can even cover them with other materials, cobwebs, burlap, etc... to create a different look.
      Best bet as far as securing them and for safety, it may seem obvious, but if the walls are going to be double high ( Stacked on top of each other) I would suggest putting them on their sides so that the solid sides are touching. More stable that way, but not as high, just over 6 feet as opposed to closer to 8 ft. Also, use good solid heavy ones for the bottom and lighter weight pine ones for the top should make it easier as well. If possible, remove as many boards from the back of the top pallet as you can. This will make it even lighter.
      To secure them, just get simple rectangular metal connectors with holes for the screws at any hardware store. You can even use the removed boards as connecting braces to screw the pallets together.
      Connect the pallets into an L shape or T shape if possible will make them much more stable, almost immovable at that point.
      I wouldn't go higher than 2 pallets though unless you do have some longer boards or other materials for bracing.
      Hope that helps.

Chainsaw

Comment

Keep in mind, that with pallets, they can be very heavy, different sizes, and sometimes have splinters/protruding nails. You also have to store them somewhere, or toss them once you are done (Don't toss them though! Offer them to someone here if you don't want them any longer).

They also can hurt someone if they were to collapse onto someone, so make sure that if you use them, they are very secure. Sand them down to make sure people wont get splinters, and make sure that you check each and every inch of each board for protruding nails/screws.

Comment

Working...
        X