Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halloween Ticket Prices - Up or Same?

Hi Haunters,

Since Halloween falls on Saturday this season what are your thoughts on charging more for general addmission that night?

In my case we will be at capacity, so the basic rule of supply and demand tell me to charge more. However, would this be viewed by our loyal fans as unfair pricing and cause a back lash?
    Last edited by twohlgemuth; 06-15-2009, 07:03 AM.
    Tony Wohlgemuth,
    Comes up with the fun stuff!
    Kersey Valley, Inc.
    www.KerseyValley.com

So, your supply of TICKETS will be LOW on Halloween night? The only thing I could predict happening is that you get price gouging complaints. What I would do, is stay open longer! Have special "extended hours" on Halloween night, allow yourself to get more people through.

Just a thought. -Tyler
    Chris Riehl
    Sales@spookyfinder.com
    (586)209-6935
    www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Nothing... as long as you advertise it in advance!
      We have been toying with the idea of charging more on Friday and Saturday night due to our high volume those nights - in an attempt to push people to Thursday or Sunday.

Some might see it as a price gouge but I truly believe if you advertise it and don't go more than $2 to $4 more on that night - it's completely understandable... but this year will be a true view of what the economy is doing...
      We have had to increase our door price ($22) but that's only $2 more than our normal price for the past 3 years....

I'm hoping we can pull off some coupon or discount nights to help alleviate the cost to many people that can't afford our show.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightgore View Post
        So, your supply of TICKETS will be LOW on Halloween night? The only thing I could predict happening is that you get price gouging complaints. What I would do, is stay open longer! Have special "extended hours" on Halloween night, allow yourself to get more people through.

Just a thought. -Tyler
        Hi Tyler,

The issue is time vs. ticket price. We can only run a certain amount of people through per hour and to be open longer will be a plan as well. But the question is would the public view a higher price on Halloween night to make more profit due to supply and demand as price gouging.
        Tony Wohlgemuth,
        Kersey Valley, Inc.
        www.KerseyValley.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Nightmarez View Post
          Nothing... as long as you advertise it in advance!
          We have been toying with the idea of charging more on Friday and Saturday night due to our high volume those nights - in an attempt to push people to Thursday or Sunday.

Some might see it as a price gouge but I truly believe if you advertise it and don't go more than $2 to $4 more on that night - it's completely understandable... but this year will be a true view of what the economy is doing...
          We have had to increase our door price ($22) but that's only $2 more than our normal price for the past 3 years....

I'm hoping we can pull off some coupon or discount nights to help alleviate the cost to many people that can't afford our show.
          Hi Mr. Nightmarez,

I also increased our General Admission last year to $22 up from $20. I had no complaints, but I also gave a free wrist band with our logo and website.

I have a reservation ticket for a 15 minute time slot priced at $27, but this is limited to 50 tickets per 15 minute time slot. My thoughts were to raise General Admission to $27, a $5 up charge, on Halloween and keep the reservation the same.

We are advertising more than ever this year and we have buy one get one free coupons in an attractions book that is sold through the schools. That is very aggressive and last time we offered those coupons our revenue increased overall.

Thanks for the replies!
          Tony Wohlgemuth,
          Kersey Valley, Inc.
          www.KerseyValley.com

Comment

IDK... Alot of good points here! But! I think if you advertise in advance, no one will come on Halloween night, or at least not what you expected. Let's see, the view of the GP:

"... WHAT! More money on Halloween than any other night? Let's just go now, instead of later!..."

So, I think advertising in advance could actually hurt. BUT! If you say somewhere that:

"Tickets prices, dates and times are subject to change without notice."

That way, all you have to do is on Halloween night.... put up a sign in the ticket queue posting the ticket increase and some extended hours! I think that would make everyone happy. -Tyler
            Chris Riehl
            Sales@spookyfinder.com
            (586)209-6935
            www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Instead of an upcharge on a specific night, I like to turn it around the other way. Raise rates accross the board, and then have discounts and specials on the nights you want to push them to.

If normal price is $22 and they have to pay $27 on Halloween, then they might see it as price gouging.

If normal price is is $27 and they get a $5 discount on most nights, then they are getting a deal.

Its economic application of Machiavelli.
              sigpic

There are three rules to designing a haunt. Unfortunately, nobody knows what they are.

Haunt: www.ScarecrowTheater.com

Comment

HauntedMemphis,
                That's what I was thinking as I was reading down through.

Raise prices Fridays/Saturdays and advertise Thursdays/Sundays as being lower than normal price.

Tyler,
                I do agree with you man. Advertising in advance charging more on Halloween night...hmm? I'm more apt to go when it's cheaper, unless there's something in it extra to make it worth paying more (ie. celebrity that night, extra rooms, etc.).

Just my thoughts,

Kirk
                Kirk Boemmel
                Dark Ghost Manor
                www.darkghostmanor.com

sigpic

Comment

Let's sell every Chevy we can crank out for...$60,000! What happened to that thinking?
                  The customer's reluctance and inability to afford the tarriff happened.
                  I could see alot more customers for less than $12.00 but would I want to?
                  I see alot fewer drunks at $12.00= makes life easier.
                  Since I'm open almost every night of the year Halloween itself is not that busy because everyone knows they can come see me later.
                  As far as staying open longer for more customers...that is when the problems walk in your door, drunks, punks and ker-thunks.
                  I do have a very different sort of thing going on here in every aspect so anyone looking to my place for any real, usable operating advice may not find it worth that much.
                  I spend almost nothing on advertising but I do put Alot of Effort entertaining my patrons who "advertise" for me year-round. I guess if I spent tons to lure people in here my ticket price would have to be increased greatly.
                  Here it is Wednesday morning and at 11 O'Clock a group will be here , who paid in advance, followed by a couple on their Honeymoon an hour and ahalf later.
                  Of course I also happen to have more fun and laughs doing this haunted entertaining than anyone should ever be allowed. I guess that's why I wake up and keep going, I love seeing people react to what I do here.
                  ...now it's the day after, Wednesday seemed like a weekend to me with the people I saw coming here.
                  So now I feel pretty run over like it's Monday.
                  Last edited by Jim Warfield; 06-17-2009, 10:13 AM.
                  hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

This is a great topic and one that I'm really interested in hearing everyone's opinion on, especially those who have tried it. I would be inclined to to add some form of takeaways for the nights of higher pricing. I guess it would be similar to how we give our VIP guests Mardi-Gras beads and glowing ghost pins. Just another thought...

Kel
                    sigpic
                    Kelly Allen
                    Raycliff Manor Haunted Attraction
                    www.RaycliffManor.com
                    www.Facebook.com/RaycliffManor
                    www.HauntBook.com

Comment

Working...
                    X