If you could give only one piece of advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you could give only one piece of advice

I've only been on here a few weeks and have realized the depth and breadth of experience here is immeasurable. Many of you are certainly qualified to be paid consultants and I've read about, '...if you don't hire a consultant, don't start a haunt'. So, not fishing for a pro bono consult, just a brief, gratis, tip or two.

If you could give only one piece of advice to a new haunter what would it be [besides, 'don't do it'] My Haunt will be in Greater Nashville TN, 2010

To give some perspective, these are some of the basics about the haunter and the resources:

Experienced field sales manager for a large multinational
    Experience as a small business owner, HR, buyer, marketer, sales, general
    First haunt for sixth grade Fall Festival, volunteer in college for Jaycees
    Production experience in ENG video and stage management
    Board member for visual arts not-for-profit group - access to tons of artists
    Brother's my partner, is a professional visual artist

So bottom line is, I know a little about a lot. My video and stage management experience are the most on point, in my view, to the actual production of a haunt. I know enough about small business to at least know what to investigate there, i.e. I've done plenty of lease work, HR, Insurance, etc. I manage venues and art shows for the group here so I've done a lot of liability and planning work.

Lastly, I think I've read every online article available here and on other magazine sites. Below are some of the areas I'll be deciding on over the next six months.

Urban core OR high rent suburb [A level mall corridor]
    Best bang for the prop buck - animatronics, pneumatic, etc
    Marketing bang [best for the money] billboard, radio, TV, etc [I have access to all free PR outlets]
    Flex light industrial area OR Retail area OR old warehouse district
    Biggest HR dedication - actors, security, construction

If anyone has any input on these types of things I will be greatly appreciative. Baptism by fire has been my most common learning experience and I've re-invented several wheels, so any input or sage words are a bonus. Thanks from a Noob.

Greg
    Last edited by Twin Locusts; 06-16-2009, 09:50 AM.

Visit as many haunted attractions as possible. There are big clusters of successful events - and with careful planning you can hit multiple targets over the course of an extended weekend. DOn't just focus on the fun stuff - but really look at the operations and organization involved in dealing with 100's or even thousands of people and cars in a single night.

Remember that it's a business - and most businesses take at least a couple years to return the initial investment. Too many haunts crash because they think they will turn a profit in year one. Create a business plan and stick to it.

Invest the $$ and buy bunches of Hauntworld videos and back issues of both HW and Haunted Attraction.

Also, join the HHA.
    Scott Simmons
    The ScareHouse / Undead Productions Inc.

http://www.scarehouse.com
    http://youtube.com/thescarehouse

Comment

<plug>

Hire me to do your advertising voicework for TV/Radio and to train your actors...

</plug>
      http://www.bigscaryshow.com
      http://www.rabidbadger.org

Comment

Do not rely on message boards for answers for everything. You will get 100 opinions.
        Damon
        Damon Carson

Comment

Make great use of your marketing skill.
          It is all about getting your attraction in front of an audience, and making your event bigger than life.
          Billboards, website etc...
          Be willing to spend your money here because it is your single best return on investment.
          Kevin R. Alvey
          info at gore-galore.com
          www.gore-galore.com
          www.halloweenmusicgalore.com
          www.youtube.com/goregalore13
          www.facebook.com/goregalore

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the quick start on input!!

Scott -

I'm a lifelong Stillers fan; my wife and I go up for a home game every season; this year we may make it the Bengals game in Nov., maybe we could work something out to see your place? If we get browns tics it'll be during season so... It's tough living in the belly of the beast, these oiler fans hate my Steelers! 1 2 3 4 5 6

Damon -

I agree about the 'everyone's got an opinion' thing. I tend to like a lot of different opinions, especially disagreement; among all the differences good ideas tend to shake out. I already have pretty strong notions on most of my direction but I like it to be challenged by experience. Thanks for the input.

Greg
            Last edited by Twin Locusts; 06-16-2009, 11:16 AM.

Comment

"Hear" all opinions and "see" all things, but only "listen" to your gut.
              Do Vegan Zombies eat heads of lettuce?

Comment

My best line of advice...

Love it. Put your heart into it.
                We didn't have much of a budget (still don't compared to most) but 2 years and only 1 complaint (a lady said it was too dark in certain areas for her to see everything). Everyone we asked while they left said they loved it or were too shaking and scared to respond.

Kirk
                Kirk Boemmel
                Dark Ghost Manor
                www.darkghostmanor.com

sigpic

Comment

One piece of advice?

Haunting is not a get-rich-quick scheme.

There are probably fewer than 500 people in this country making a full-time living with dark attractions.

Most of those are darkride jocks making $9 an hour.

There are millionaire haunters but no one is actually making millions from haunting alone.

Add up all the time spent getting a haunt up and running...

Hell... most of us don't even make minimum wage.

Haunt because you love it... not because you think it's the yellow brick road.
                  Guerilla Haunter

Comment

Two things TIME and MONEY!!

Money-Figure out what you think it will cost and DOUBLE it, if someone else is doing it- quadruple it!!! Then you'll only be a litle off!

Time- Fiure how long you think something will take. 10 minutes- replace minutes with HOURS, 10 hours- replace hour with DAYS, 10 days- replace days with WEEKS, 10 weeks-replace weeks with MONTHS.

Now you can properly estimate time and money!!!
                    R&J Productions
                    Las Vegas, NV
                    www.LasVegasHaunts.com

Comment

Originally posted by RJ Productions View Post
                      Two things TIME and MONEY!!

Money-Figure out what you think it will cost and DOUBLE it, if someone else is doing it- quadruple it!!! Then you'll only be a litle off!

Time- Fiure how long you think something will take. 10 minutes- replace minutes with HOURS, 10 hours- replace hour with DAYS, 10 days- replace days with WEEKS, 10 weeks-replace weeks with MONTHS.

Now you can properly estimate time and money!!!
                      wow, CAPS and gratuitous exclamation marks in the same paragraph!!! Thanks for the warning, I believe you.

Vegas, what a strange place. You could give away a foreclosed home to every 100th patron this season.

I spend about two weeks a year out there, my wife's brothers an engineer with one of the hotel builders, first time I went they were building the bellagio annex, now he's finishing the planet hollywood hotel. Then they have nothing, nada, nothings moving. he's been there so long he has grass, and got to keep it including the irrigation system.

The best things about vegas are winter golf [when the wind's down] and that there are enough New Yorkers living out there you can get real Italian food. The best malls they have look like a thug shootout could break out at any moment. I love the place but it's really hard to see the real vegas. Two Christmases ago I asked my nephew to take me somewhere that was there twenty years ago and not strip related. It was good to see some of the older town.

Comment

I have more experience from the actor side, so from that area here it is.

Common sense. I know you probably heard it before, but be smart. I have seen people really get themselves hurt because they didn't use their heads and stay away from the big drunk man. So use your noggin so it won't end up splattered up the wall.

Comment

I started researching last September/October prepping in the Memphis area for 2010 as well. I think I'm going through a lot of what you will be, so my advice is from what I've experienced so far.

In the Nashville area, you have about 10 haunts already. Learn what you can from them. Make sure you visit every one of them this October. When you do so, talk to customers. What do they like and dislike about the various haunts. Do they go to multiple haunts? You'd be surprised what you can learn informally while standing in line.

See if you can meet with some of the various haunt owners in your area too. I can't speak for Nashville, but here in Memphis, the haunters I've met with have been great, and very supportive.

If you really want to get in deeper, see if you can volunteer with one of the haunts this fall to see what you can pick up about your market you are dealing with.

I definately recommend hitting shows next year to go to workshops, see products, and network. Only question is whether it's getting too late by the time next years shows hit. You will likely be committed at that point. Go anyway. Anything you learn makes things easier on you.
                          sigpic

There are three rules to designing a haunt. Unfortunately, nobody knows what they are.

Haunt: www.ScarecrowTheater.com

Comment

Don't Buy..

Last edited by Jim Warfield; 06-22-2009, 10:38 PM.
                            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Heed the "Jimisms" he knows all.
                              Well almost all.
                              Er atleast gives off that impression.
                              Or perhaps its that he has an opinion on all?
                              Who knows.
                              Well you probably do Jim.
                              But i don't.

So i'm done...

Comment

Working...
                              X