• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice

Don't pick at it or it will never heal
    and if her hands and feet are bigger than yours she is probably not a she

Comment

Treat your actors well, with respect and with kindness, recognize their work and dedication. Your actors become a driving force as your attraction grows, and you want to make sure that they want to come back no matter what year after year.

Treat your props and products the same, wear and tear happen but you want your investments to last. Make sure storage is thought about beforehand, and not till the third weekend of October.

Invest in a few makeup classes or a makeup artist. Makeup knowladge is as important as anything else, and is frequently left till last. Understand that you dont have to be a SPFX genius but having a general knowladge of makeup can benifit you in the long run.

Listen...Learn...be open to criticisim....and put your heart into it...

Best of Luck

Jackie
      Rotting Flesh Radio Haunt Hottie
      “Happiness is the sublime moment when you step out of your corset at the end of the night.”

“Actors love mental disorders, dialects, and corsets. Give them one of the three and they're happy.”

Comment

Having worked for two very large haunts over the past 10ish years i do have good knowledge of being the somewhat next in charge besides the owner. We did have other managers but i was skilled on almost all feilds while others were in charge of their feild of specialty.

Some of my best qualitys were i was genuine with people no matter if it's the goth kid in a slipknot shirt or an older adult with a degree, i treated them all the same.

To name a few more haunt qualitys, Make up, Building and set design, Actor training, Actor managment, Costume design, Public Relations,Advertising,Recruitment and on and on, i was the guy that had to be part of all of it.

The two owners i worked for thought they were people person type's which they were not, it's hard to run a team if your not a true people person to both clientel and staff. You can have all your marbles in place financially but if you can't run an ever changing team forget about it!

Your people i truly believe are your biggest assests, create a team, promise them nothing but give when you can from your heart and you'll do good. People that talk behind peoples backs, cut down, scream at people or are just irrate is in no way good people persons. Expect people to screw up, talk to them, praise them and move on. You must be true to yourself to sell yourself to others in a good way.

That said IF your that kind of funloving,good at dealing with stress kind of person i would say your ready, a huge pocketbook helps but you can start small and grow yearly if you have the key help by your side.

If your not running your actors somebody thats passionate and can give advice nicely is key.

Once youv'e got a good group of people that keep coming back then TRAIN them! The more you train them the more they learn just like any other company. Company's train their employee's for good reason, it makes the team work better and the product becomes better hence more people will buy.

To lay it out in importance.
        1. Good team by your side
        2. Your haunt can be small but if you have good acting, good make up, and characters people will love your show and want more, bring people back for a second look. High dollar props are nice but are meduim level scares, real people scare at high levels if well trained.
        3.Once your profitting build themes not everybody has,be original. If there are three haunts next door and they all have clowns...Don't do clowns. There are enough themes out there and plenty of places to get idea's.
        4. Build a good SCARY haunt. You want people freaking out as they walk out to there cars, they go to school or work and a freind asks "What did you do this weekend?" When they say they went to a haunt and it was scary as shit that message multiplys through the workplace and schools.
        If it was a lame experience you'll be pegged as just an O.K. haunt. If it's so scary to some and they say it was so scary they won't ever go back, Great others will want to see what the whinners talking about. More Customers Keep it up!

Those a a few majors i think of right off my head, hope they help.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Dells View Post
          Having worked for two very large haunts over the past 10ish years i do have good knowledge of being the somewhat next in charge besides the owner. We did have other managers but i was skilled on almost all feilds while others were in charge of their feild of specialty.

Some of my best qualitys were i was genuine with people no matter if it's the goth kid in a slipknot shirt or an older adult with a degree, i treated them all the same.

To name a few more haunt qualitys, Make up, Building and set design, Actor training, Actor managment, Costume design, Public Relations,Advertising,Recruitment and on and on, i was the guy that had to be part of all of it.

The two owners i worked for thought they were people person type's which they were not, it's hard to run a team if your not a true people person to both clientel and staff. You can have all your marbles in place financially but if you can't run an ever changing team forget about it!

Your people i truly believe are your biggest assests, create a team, promise them nothing but give when you can from your heart and you'll do good. People that talk behind peoples backs, cut down, scream at people or are just irrate is in no way good people persons. Expect people to screw up, talk to them, praise them and move on. You must be true to yourself to sell yourself to others in a good way.

That said IF your that kind of funloving,good at dealing with stress kind of person i would say your ready, a huge pocketbook helps but you can start small and grow yearly if you have the key help by your side.

If your not running your actors somebody thats passionate and can give advice nicely is key.

Once youv'e got a good group of people that keep coming back then TRAIN them! The more you train them the more they learn just like any other company. Company's train their employee's for good reason, it makes the team work better and the product becomes better hence more people will buy.

To lay it out in importance.
          1. Good team by your side
          2. Your haunt can be small but if you have good acting, good make up, and characters people will love your show and want more, bring people back for a second look. High dollar props are nice but are meduim level scares, real people scare at high levels if well trained.
          3.Once your profitting build themes not everybody has,be original. If there are three haunts next door and they all have clowns...Don't do clowns. There are enough themes out there and plenty of places to get idea's.
          4. Build a good SCARY haunt. You want people freaking out as they walk out to there cars, they go to school or work and a freind asks "What did you do this weekend?" When they say they went to a haunt and it was scary as shit that message multiplys through the workplace and schools.
          If it was a lame experience you'll be pegged as just an O.K. haunt. If it's so scary to some and they say it was so scary they won't ever go back, Great others will want to see what the whinners talking about. More Customers Keep it up!

Those a a few majors i think of right off my head, hope they help.
          Thanks Kevin, you get it.

Comment

Hmmmnnn.....one piece of advice.
            Stop watching television, use that time to work on your show. Really, business plan, logo, sculpting, molding, searching the internet for new products that are begging to be brought to the industry, working on costumes. Wait....in my rambling I have discovered my tidbit of advice to pass on. Costumes, work on your costumes first. Get them done by july and make 10 more than you think you will need. Costumes are something that most people put off until the last minute, they are often an after thought and most haunts have terrible costumes because of it.
            There is no excuse for this, they can be started as soon as you know your theme, they are easy to store, and can make a huge impression on your guests. Think about it, once you have a location and actors you can have a decent haunt just by throwing costumes into the mix, ten of your friends with no costumes and two cool animatronics would be a crappy show. the same ten friends in cool costumes on a wooded trail and you have a modest show.
            Best of luck to you in your endeavors,
            Allen H
            www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
            http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by allen h View Post
              hmmmnnn.....one piece of advice.
              Stop watching television, use that time to work on your show. Really, business plan, logo, sculpting, molding, searching the internet for new products that are begging to be brought to the industry, working on costumes. Wait....in my rambling i have discovered my tidbit of advice to pass on. Costumes, work on your costumes first. Get them done by july and make 10 more than you think you will need. Costumes are something that most people put off until the last minute, they are often an after thought and most haunts have terrible costumes because of it.
              There is no excuse for this, they can be started as soon as you know your theme, they are easy to store, and can make a huge impression on your guests. Think about it, once you have a location and actors you can have a decent haunt just by throwing costumes into the mix, ten of your friends with no costumes and two cool animatronics would be a crappy show. The same ten friends in cool costumes on a wooded trail and you have a modest show.
              Best of luck to you in your endeavors,
              allen h
              awesome, awesome, awesome!
              O'Shawn McClendon
              Creative Chair -- Operator: Cayce-West Columbia Hall of Horrors

One mans junk is another mans kick-ass new prop...

http://www.hallofhorrors.com

http://twitter.com/hallofhorrors

http://cwchallofhorrors.blogspot.com

http://www.youtube.com/hallofhorrors

http://www.myspace.com/cwcjc_hallofhorrors

Comment

Working...
              X