People Where Are You?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People Where Are You?

Actually I think I know. Can you believe July 4th is right around the corner! My best guess is that everyone is fighting the heat and working on their haunts. So guys and gals tell me whats up. Who is working on their haunts? What are you doing to it? Where do you stand as far as being complete! Shane and its when the 4th gets here its all down hill from there! Shane this time.
    sigpic

Shane i thought about you the other day lol!

I drove by an apartment complex the other day called GREYSTONE MANOR

i started laughing my butt off!

LOL

Jackie
    Rotting Flesh Radio Haunt Hottie
    “Happiness is the sublime moment when you step out of your corset at the end of the night.”

“Actors love mental disorders, dialects, and corsets. Give them one of the three and they're happy.”

Comment

Shane's right.

It's always a challenge to try and attempt to enjoy some of the summer and get everything done at the haunt that needs to be done in time. I never consider my haunt finished, I just run out of time. Last year I had two empty poles where giant monsters were suppose to be. The public never knew because there was so much other stuff to look at. I hope to finish a big vampire, clown and a new 34 foot scarecrow design along with a bunch of other stuff this year. It always comes down to the wire but is very exciting to watch the progress as each huge monster goes up and gets lighted near the end. It all comes together in a short time because we are out doors. We make paths out of corn stalks and some tunnels out of pine boughs along with our permanent structures. The effect is awesome at night and it smells like Christmas, you would like that Shane, lol! It's very labor intensive but well worth it.

The corn is coming up for our maze section so I will be planning out the maze and mowing it down next week. We already moved our portable hillbilly shacks into new positions so the corn can grow up around them. It's a creepy feeling to come across a scary building with creatures and maniacs in the middle of a dense corn field.

A detailed project I'm working on now are these big skulls for the new "Soul Takers Burial Ground". It will consist of many upright old school coffins arranged in a maze with 8, 10' to 12' foot tall reaper figures amongst the coffins to navigate. The possibilities for this scene are endless. Actors and static figures will be in the coffins and some actors will pop out from the reapers cloaks. The lighting and fog will be key in this scene. I know it will look insane when finished and I am really excited to see the scares this maze will produce. As soon as I get the 8 heads and hands finished I can move on to the bigger monsters. The bodies will go up relatively fast for these figures because of the black cloaks. I am posting a step by step of this process on the HHA help desk. I should have more photos up there by Monday night of the progress of the skulls and finger bones.

The last two years I think our weakest area has been local marketing. We are ramping up that end of the business this year as well.

Good luck to everyone on their projects this year, I better stop typing and get to work, lol! Here are a few photos of the heads 50% done. Much more detailing to do. The skin texture and teeth detail will make them pop and look real when finished.

If anyone has a second I would love to see some of your build photos.

Enjoy,

Eric

www.hauntedoverload.com

Comment

Wow Eric those skulls are awesome! Yes, we have now completed to large pumpkin heads for the scarecrows in the corn maze. We are detailing out the barn and doing some work on the ghost town. I will get pics up soon.
        Kim

Comment

Wow

Eric I always love seeing those skull pics of yours!!!!! Looking good bro! I am like Eric here I too would love to see some cool pics! As soon as I can I will get some of the new upcharge haunt were doing. Decided to keep with the Graystone theme and have now added Graystone's Asylum Nightmare! It will be a Asylum/Clinic theme ending with a bad nightmare. Shane and its if you don't wake up before you hit bottom your dead! Shane this time.
          sigpic

Comment

Well Shane your right. i think most of us are busy working on our haunts. We had a parade this morning at 9 and we have another one this evening at 5 in another county. As soon as we get that done it's back to the haunt for more modifications.

For those of you that came to Fearfest this spring we totaly ripped out Slashmasters Asylum right after the tour and it is in the process of getting a MAJOR upgrade. We are excited about the plans we have and the way it is turning out.
            Sarahs Legend is also getting some improvements.
            Our corn field is about a foot tall right now but all the rain we've had lately is hurting it instead of helping. We need some 90 degree sunny days to make it pop up and get going.
            All in all 09 looks to be a great season for us.
            Our new website is almost complete. our TV commercials and movie trailers are ready to go and our radio commercials are in the works. needless to say we have been very busy getting everything organized and prepared. That about raps it up for whats going on here in Columbia Missouri. What about the rest of you?
            Greg
            Fearfest
            Greg Allen
            scarygreg@andersonfarms.com
            www.andersonfarms.com

Comment

We're working on our haunt... TONS of stuff to do prior to opening night. I'm a little afraid that it won't all get done in time... AHHH!!!! That's where I'm at. -Tyler
              Chris Riehl
              Sales@spookyfinder.com
              (586)209-6935
              www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

hi shane.
                We start the hardcore construction monday.
                We have to order our lumber in 3 sections as lowes dosent have enough in stock.
                So the first one gets dropped off monday morning. We got our full teams of workers ready there monday afternoon to work.
                We also got our P.R. teams allready hard at work.
                We are hopefully getting a great site set up by sinister visions soon.
                So were doing allright.

Hope everyone else is doing good.
                Owner of The Fear Experience Haunted House in Cleveland, Ohio, voted the #1 haunted house in Ohio, and #14 in America by Funtober. The Fear Experience Haunted House was called the premier haunted attraction in northeast ohio by cleveland.com and #1 in cleveland by metromix.

Comment

Nick My Young Friend...

Great to hear everything is working out for you! Also everyone keep the updates and photos coming if you have them! Shane and its looking like a Great Year for everyone! Shane this time!!!
                  sigpic

Comment

Hey Shane, doing the same here. The heat is hard. I also work full time like most of you. I do what I can. I'm working hard to get open in 2010!! I can't imagine opening this year. I wish I could but I don't have the help and frankly right now I would feel too bad making anyone work in this awful heat. Must really get going when there is a break in the weather though. Everyone keep up the good work. I find myself needing more encourgement then ever because everyone around me (here) does not want me to do this. I will get it done and I will open. I must keep telling myself that. Happy haunt building guys!!!
                    http://www.GraystoneHaunt.com

Comment

Build photos

Nick, good luck this year, you have your work cut out for you but it sounds like you have a good team in place already. Keep us posted.

Terrormasue, it's awesome that you continue to plan long term and keep your eye on a goal to open in 2010. I know how tough it can be with working full time. I spread my work out over the entire year so it isn't so overwhelming at the end, then have to take vacation from my job to set up the haunt and on the event nights. Most of my weekends I do something haunt related even if it's an hour or two. Actions speak louder than words, keep telling yourself you can do it but also do a little something each day like if it's too hot to build, work on your web site or marketing campaign. Pretty soon, by next year you will have a ton done on the project. Good luck and the people around you will see that you are serious and you will open whether they like it or not. More than likely they will become involved when they see it coming to life.

I found a few more progress shots.

The first one is some of the coffins I was talking about. They are all different sizes, the one I'm in the back is 7 feet tall. We built them in my basement this winter and bring them to the farm to make more room for other projects down there. The other shots were taken 2 weeks ago when we were moving the sheds into the corn field. Thank God for that tractor! The landscape really changes when the corn grows tall, you can't even see the sheds at that point until you come upon them in the maze. We will build another tunnel structure in there this year.

It's raining today so I can work on the big skull heads some more. Lets see if we can load this thread up with progress shots and build photos.

Enjoy,

Eric

www.hauntedoverload.com

Comment

Hey Eric, The shacks look sweet! Where did you get the plank wood to make them out of? Is it old barn wood or something else? Awsome job!
                        Greg
                        Fearfest
                        Greg Allen
                        scarygreg@andersonfarms.com
                        www.andersonfarms.com

Comment

Shacks

Greg,

I have been very lucky with the planks for these particular sheds. My grandfather who turns 100 next month sawed these wide pine boards with a home made saw mill when I was a kid. They sat around all this time, and he finally gave them to me for the haunt. They are like gold because of the natural weathering.

You can also go to saw mills if there are any in your area and ask for rough slabs that haven't been plained or bad planks and leave them out in the weather. Like you said old barn boards from demo sites look great because of the old layers of paint and natural weathering. You can do it with new rough sawed wood also and make nicks and cuts with a chain saw, stain it and lightly spray paint the edges black for a weathered look. Also rub real mud on the boards.

Here's how these sheds looked in the corn field last year. Lighting and fog make a huge difference. The actor was on stilts and people thought he was a prop until he banged a chain against the shed. Very effective in the cornfield setting.

Last years entrance to the queue line.

Corn field lighting

Another shack in a different area, chainsaw guy coming out.
                          www.hauntedoverload.com

Comment

I always love Erics Photos!

So here is a couple for you Eric. One is my swamp there are several swamp houses there. This pic was took standing on the covered bridge that our guest walk across. When you come out of the mansion you have to go through the swamp before you go back into the second half of the haunt. When you come out the second part then you go through another outdoor area of a cemetery. Both outside areas are surrounded by the haunt they are giant courtyard areas if you can imagine. None are visiable to the public till they go through the attraction. At night the pond has a fogg chiller that keeps the fog on the pond and its lit with laterns all around!

These were taken a couple of weeks ago and they are really cool! A added a couple more of just some close ups of a couple of props!Hope you enjoy! Shane and its I am going to make a wall photo of the swamp for the house LOL! Shane this time!
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by graystone; 06-21-2009, 09:14 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Why is Anthony Bourdain sleeping in your coffin?

If you guys haven't seen 'No Reservations' you're missing out; your guy could be Bourdains body double! - can he cook?

Comment

Working...
                              X