Promotional Sky/Search Lights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promotional Sky/Search Lights?

We are in the process of relocating our Haunt and would like to push promotions to a bigger level. We were thinking about using sky/search lights and wanted to know if its better to build our own. We live in Westchester N.Y. Any help much appreciated. So far about $500 a night for 3hrs. Thanks

At 100 Acres Manor in Pittsburgh PA they use them and they look awesome. If im not mistaken they're located somewhere behind their facade and it shines thru every few seconds, you can see them for miles and they give a great look to the place. Mixed with tons of fog pumping out everywhere its a nice effect.

Jackie
    Rotting Flesh Radio Haunt Hottie
    “Happiness is the sublime moment when you step out of your corset at the end of the night.”

“Actors love mental disorders, dialects, and corsets. Give them one of the three and they're happy.”

Comment

This is probably as cheap as you could ever hope to find: http://hauntworld.com/haunted_house_...ht=searchlight

I wouldn't even consider making something like that. Too many reasons for it to break down, and you don't want to be fixing it every night after it dies the first ten minutes.

There are several threads where searchlights are discussed. Type in the word under the Search feature in the yellow toolbar up towards the top of the page.
      Last edited by shawnc; 06-23-2009, 04:23 AM. Reason: Need new keyboard

Comment

As Jackie mentioned, we have one at our haunt. It's made by (more than likely, imported by) USA Searchlights. It has a full season under it's belt with no issues. The only thing I can knock it for is the wiring configuration. It's setup for 120v 30amp. A lot of gensets (many of the residential units from the big-box stores) can't supply high current 120v, but they can supply 240v. For example, due to the way the stator on my Coleman generator is made, while it's a 4000w genset and should have no problem running a 30a 120v load, it can't. Instead the two duplex outlets are only capable of putting out 16amps each, or 240v @ 16amp which would run the light just fine. But now I'm just getting nit-picky. The light can easily be rewired as a 120/240 device by seperating the power supplies out.

I love to make stuff but that's one thing I wouldn't consider making. It's basic in principal, but finding a reflector, especially one that can handle the intense heat is probably the biggest hurdle right off the bat. The power supplies aren't exactly common off the shelf parts either (for a Xenon Arc at least).

The Ad-Light in that link is a badass little light, no special power requirements, small and light, easy to move around and you can even rent the thing out on the side.

If you go with something larger like a 3k-7k Xenon Arc, keep in mind the power requirements. They're not cheap to operate, especially if you have to run a genset for them and have some pretty healty power needs. The 4000k watt versions require anywhere from 20-30 amps @ 240v depending on what light it is. The 7000w versions pull 50 amps @ 240v.
        -Brandon Kelm
        Operations Manager & Technical Director

sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X