No announcement yet.

Using Copywrited Material in a Haunted House

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok here is my 2 sense and know that I am new here and a mere pion in the haunt industry being just a haunter. As i read all the arguements i see how using movie characters can take away from the haunt and me playing the part of a movie character you have opened my eyes to convince my boss to let me incorporate my character who ive spent 2 yrs developing and never jad the balls to use until now BUT! At my haunt we have completely detailed to the max sets devoted to Jason, myers and leatherface. On the hayride we have a huge camp crystal lake equiped with cabins bunks, tool shed and campers. Fllowed by a huge movie quality meat house with pigs squeals and meat hooks the hole 9 then an isane asylum haunted by. You guessed it myers! Now I no what your thinking how lame but our actors make it all worth it. Our Jason is 7ft tall 340lbs myers is 6'3 250lbs and I play leatherface 6ft1 300lbs. None or our costumes are NOT store bought all custom made to fit and the mask are molded, sculpted and custom painted by our creative directer who operates the grave yard prop shop all with his own twist. I think it's great that we use this but I would love to do my own thing. Everyone has there own opinion and there all valid. If it were up to me movie characters would stay imortalized where the belong on the silver screen but hey nobody is perfect. Sorry for the rant ladies and gents
    Tim McCall

Comment

Originally posted by Allen H View Post
      Freak?
      "And LOW BUDGET is what you should refer to haunts that use masks as."
      Freak what kind of masks are you referring to? If not latex or silicone? Lots of shows use latex masks and a blend of latex ,silicone ,and Make up is In my opinion the best way to go. Latex masks are a great option for costuming depending on the character you are trying to portray.
      I suppose I should not bristle to much, I suppose that "The Trail of Terror" (my show) is a low budget show, but the park Im director (SCREAMS) of is not a low budget show. Both use masks and make up.
      Allen H
      I apologize for not elaborating. I assumed it was implied by "masks" that I meant store bought masks from stores such as Walmart and the like; masks that have been licensed to the stores and are reproduced in an inexpensive, lower quality way. By no means am I referring to masks brought to the industry by big budget fx companies with hundred dollar products.

And second, I disagree with the fact people are saying no one will "live up to the characters". I don't believe most haunt TRY to live up to a mirror image of the characters UNLESS that is a theme of your haunt. If you decided to throw one of your characters in a completely random room with a freddy mask for a quick "boo" scare, then you are obviously not TRYING to live up to A Nightmare on Elm Street, HOWEVER, if you are marketing your haunt as such and you have the rooms, props and characters, THEN it would be fair to say most haunters don't live up to the original characters. But like I said...most haunters who use the "inexpensive walmart masks" aren't trying to convince everyone they are at Camp Crystal Lake with Jason Vorhees breathing down their necks. Just Sayin
      Last edited by freak 'n' stein; 06-24-2009, 01:42 AM.
      O'Shawn McClendon
      Creative Chair -- Operator: Cayce-West Columbia Hall of Horrors

One mans junk is another mans kick-ass new prop...

http://www.hallofhorrors.com

http://twitter.com/hallofhorrors

http://cwchallofhorrors.blogspot.com

http://www.youtube.com/hallofhorrors

http://www.myspace.com/cwcjc_hallofhorrors

Comment

I agree that if characters from movies, etc are to be used, they need to be done right, not in a "cheap scare" fashion....and they can actually be very good if the "scene is set" correctly.

~Natethegreat
        www.Fearoverload.com

Comment

Originally posted by Nightgore View Post
          Rocky Point... 13th Gate... Universal Studios... it doesn't matter, still lazy! Just my opinion and I'm sticking to it! -Tyler
          If you had ever walked through Rocky Point you wouldn't be saying this. Their bone room for the TCM section was designed and dressed by the man that did it for the movie and the Pirates of the Scare-ibbean section rivaled any set Johnny Depp ever stepped foot on.
          Pain is just an un-avoidable side effect

Comment

Universal's announcement....

Well Universal has just announced their line-up for HHN this year:

drumroll...

Saw (which everyone knew), Chucky (Child's Play), and The Wolfman. The theme is Ripped from the Silver Screen.

Not sure how they are going to make Chucky scary, but we'll see.

Gahaunter
            Last edited by Gahaunter; 06-26-2009, 07:38 AM. Reason: spelling
            Lee D. Sanders

Comment

Sad... -Tyler

PS: For anyone who hasn't been to HHN... it's not scary, not at all. The sets are AWESOME, the designs are WAY cool, but actors SUCK and it's not scary. Maybe to the GP, but I didn't think it was scary at all.
              Chris Riehl
              Sales@spookyfinder.com
              (586)209-6935
              www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Originally posted by Gahaunter View Post
                Well Universal has just announced their line-up for HHN this year:

drumroll...

Saw (which everyone knew), Chucky (Child's Play), and The Wolfman. The theme is Ripped from the Silver Screen.

Not sure how they are going to make Chucky scary, but we'll see.

Gahaunter
                FREAKIN AWESOME!!! That's what I'm talking about. They put SOOOO much work into developing original stuff every year. They'll do everyone of those themes justice...I'd put money on it.

If anyone goes, which I'm sure SOMEONE on here will, let me know how it is!! I want to TRY and go this year, but I don't know if it will happen.
                O'Shawn McClendon
                Creative Chair -- Operator: Cayce-West Columbia Hall of Horrors

One mans junk is another mans kick-ass new prop...

http://www.hallofhorrors.com

http://twitter.com/hallofhorrors

http://cwchallofhorrors.blogspot.com

http://www.youtube.com/hallofhorrors

http://www.myspace.com/cwcjc_hallofhorrors

Comment

How can you have any kind of continuity if you have someone else's character? I don't understand how an iconic character can just "fit in" Unless you have the most sinister character ever conceived how could any of the major villains fit into just one scene? At first we just ran with the simple idea that the land was haunted. After a few years we came up with our own icon whose spirit infected the land with his foul spirit, and drew evil to the area.
                  . . . Experience the Agony

Comment

As Soon As Everyone Finds Out..

About the hideous massacre and blood play in the costume aisle at Wal-Mart then everyone will be rushing to buy those el-cheap-o masks ..because then they will be considered So Scary!
                    A former employee (an" Associate") remained successfully hidden in the costume rack, striking out randomly , killing countless customers quietly for days and nights on end, hiding the body parts by hanging them from the ceiling where almost nobody would notice them.
                    His blazer said on it:"How may I kill you?"
                    There.
                    See?
                    I just provided a storyline to make those cheap Wally-world masks scary for any haunt to be able to use, all you have to do is tell the story first. I know, telling a story takes time, and telling a story well takes talent...just like everything else in this life.

Did the Baby mask in the movie "Brazil" scare any of you? Remember it? The lunatic torturer wore it as his victim was strapped in a chair, this made that mask scary for me.
                    We learn it or have to be taught it..fear and just what to fear.
                    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

MORAL: Copyright....everyone has their own take on this, many will not steal an image from a fellow haunted house but their IPod, and PC are full of copyrighted material downloaded from the internet. Some will not steal and anything they consider art worthy ie; music, pictures, and such...but computer programs are made by mean nasty corporate giants and using there stuff is ok.

LEGAL: So there is the legal question of copyrighted material...if money is involved you can bet that the owner of the copyright will see it as an infringement...if it takes away from their brand...infringement. In fact to keep their brand they will always go after infringement and will file on almost any use of their material, to not do so jeopardizes their copyright.

I would also be willing to bet that all of us got our start in a haunt with an iconic character in it, maybe some black plastic, strobes everywhere, Halloween theme playing in the background over dad's speakers...when did we get so damn elite that we cant take some enjoyment at the...yes not professional...yes not even home haunter...but the regular ole joe or kid that is just trying to add a little fun to his or her neighborhood or town.

To finish, legally no its not legal, morally...that is a bit more gray and depends on who you ask, artistically...again depends on who you ask and how you do it. But back in the 80's I had alot of fun with those iconic characters, nothing beat 2lbs of flour, water and oil applied directly to the face with food color to make it look burnt...waaalaaa my Freddy Krueger, downside was the dyed face from red food color.

In the end you have to decide what kind of haunt you want to be and how you can best entertain your customers...in the end that is the only question that really matters.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X