Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinion Poll: Thriller... is it too soon to...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinion Poll: Thriller... is it too soon to...

reinact Michael Jackson's "Thriller" on a 4th of July Parade Float? (this is our first year in the parade) and we have built a graveyard / mauseleum (sp?) float (approx 10x25). It is coming together nicely... The plan was to reinact a zombie thriller for the judges... Now, Michael Jackson is dead... is it too soon to perform Thriller on the 4th of July?

side note: The theme of the parade is "American Heros, past and present"
    Waaaay too soon, it would be in bad taste
    12.50%
    a little too soon... Some people might be offended...
    9.38%
    Not too soon... people might enjoy it
    31.25%
    It'll smash...
    46.88%

The poll is expired.

Patrick Barberry
    www.legendsofthefog.com
    sigpic

Let's see some pics of your float sounds cool!

I think its a good idea, why not? It's tribute.

Darkangel

Comment

I think I'd add a sign that says "In Memory of Michael Jackson" or something to that effect. I think people will like it.

Kel
      sigpic
      Kelly Allen
      Raycliff Manor Haunted Attraction
      www.RaycliffManor.com
      www.Facebook.com/RaycliffManor
      www.HauntBook.com

Comment

I do like Kel's sign idea. And I think the Zombie Thriller theme would have been a perfect tribute, especially for the theme "American Heros, past and present." However, because MJ just died, I think people may be bothered more by the graveyard/mausoleum setting than by the zombies or Thriller tribute. Something to consider.
        Last edited by HauntPhReAk; 06-26-2009, 10:07 AM.
        They call me PhReAk for a reason...

Comment

I think for heroes they mean Military heroes or politicians, rather than pop stars right?

Darkangel

Comment

I would consider MJ a hero. You should definitely do it. Like others have said, it's a tribute.
            O'Shawn McClendon
            Creative Chair -- Operator: Cayce-West Columbia Hall of Horrors

One mans junk is another mans kick-ass new prop...

http://www.hallofhorrors.com

http://twitter.com/hallofhorrors

http://cwchallofhorrors.blogspot.com

http://www.youtube.com/hallofhorrors

http://www.myspace.com/cwcjc_hallofhorrors

Comment

Not too soon - too late. I think many people will be tired of him by then.

And think what you will, but many people do not look at him as a hero.

Comment

that video has been talked about since 1982. It has staying power and I think the float is a sweet (not like "awe, nice of you" sweet) idea. I loved the FX work. They set the bar high. You have your work cut out
                StackerSteve
                LoT 27
                http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lot-27...060788?ref=sgm

Comment

I love the dancing zombie float with plaque idea, but I'd avoid putting the gravestones out.

That might be too morbid for the casual fan.

Comment

I agree with Accipiter and Hauntphreak that the Thriller/zombie reenactment will likely be accepted well because most do consider Michael Jackson a hero.

I also agree with them that some may think the graveyard may be a bit too much this early. A possible solution? Remove any gravestones you can and use the mausoleum(s) as "plaques" to write tributes to Michael. If you have more than one, write different tributes as needed. These could be on all sides as needed. You'll figure out something. Even just the name of some of his songs (and don't forget his "We Are the World" efforts) could be a start.

I just know that it sounds like you already have the graveyard float, and I'm a bit concerned about that and don't want you to miss out on this great opportunity either. We wish you success! Let us know how it goes!

BarbieHaunt
                    Friends Sold Separately
                    (You Too Can Be Sold -
                    Just Join Our Friends List!
                    Obviously Kidding About Being Sold)

Actually, as explained previously in a thread we started, the silly name BarbieHaunt has absolutely nothing to do with Barbie dolls but was our private joke name because before the haunt's pink and blue styrofoam walls are hard coated and painted, it reminds us of a Barbie Dream Haunt.

Comment

Originally posted by BarbieHaunt View Post
                      most do consider Michael Jackson a hero.

I disagree with the "most" part of that statement. A celebrity, yes. A hero, no.

This probably isn't the time or place for this discussion but since the theme of the parade is "American Heros, past and present" I would be very careful. For all of his fans, there are many who see him as a child molestor who bought his way out of prison. And didn't he turn his back on America for a while? I was actually surprised when I heard he was in L.A.

Comment

And what's with these polls? All of the choices are on one side of the column.

Do you like President Obama:
                        A. More than life itself
                        B. More than I've ever loved anyone before
                        C. A lot; he's amazing
                        D. Very much

End result released by Gallop: Americans love the president by an overwhelming majority. See how you can skew results to make polls say anything you want?

Comment

You're right, of course, Shawn. It was a poor choice of words on my part. I'm just not at my sharpest this late.

I agree that it may NOT be true that "most" Americans think of him as a "hero." However, I do still think that most will value the Thriller/zombie tribute without the graveyard at this time. Most of the news reports I've seen (even from around America) show people mourning the loss of a great American icon, not generally speaking of whether he was a child molester. There has been continual coverage of his life and death on the cable news networks.

Farrah died the same day, and I've seen almost nothing about her, which I think is really sad. I also heard that a war hero died that day but I never even heard who it was because they only are covering Michael Jackson's death, not the bad, but the good, except for all of the speculation about the prescription drug abuse.

Perhaps now Michael seriously can FINALLY rest in peace.

BarbieHaunt
                          Friends Sold Separately
                          (You Too Can Be Sold -

Actually, as explained previously in a thread we started, the silly name BarbieHaunt has absolutely nothing to do with Barbie dolls but was our private joke name because before the haunt's pink and blue styrofoam walls are hard coated and painted, it reminds us of a Barbie Dream Haunt.

Comment

I have since learned that the war hero they were referring to was Ed McMahon, who died a couple of days before Michael and Farrah.

BarbieHaunt
                            Friends Sold Separately
                            (You Too Can Be Sold -

Comment

Michael Jackson was a pop star, a great performer the best there was in his day. A hero though, he is not. He never risked his life for someone else or anything like that he just sang and performed well and made great video people get carried away and toss the "hero" word around too lightly.

He will certainly be missed for sure....

Darlangel

Comment

Working...
                              X