Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• foam inside attractions?

Hi,
    I am new to these message boards (and also to the haunting community). I run a small, all-volunteer haunted house for charity in Northern Virginia. This year will be our third year and our theme is a haunted library. One of our challenges is that we want to have small groupings of books on shelves between the rooms to keep the theme going. But books are obviously quite flammable. So, we are considering sculpting groups of books out of foam. We have never used foam before and are concerned about its fire safety. Do any of you actually use foam inside of your attractions? If so, are there certain precautions you take to keep it safe? Are there certain types of foam that are better for this?

Thanks so much for any information or ideas!
    Lisa

Welcome! I'm guessing that you are speaking of styrofoam. If so, there is lots of info about this already posted. I'm new here too and just asked how to hard coat styrofoam sheets so that they could be used as walls of haunts. People gave me info and links in my thread, and at least one of those links was to another thread with even more links of useful information. I'm assuming you could do something similar with styrofoam blocks instead of sheets so that you could make books so that they would be safe (somebody PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong), so here's the link to my thread, which has lots of info and links with lots of other links. I hope that you find it helpful.

http://www.hauntworld.com/haunted_ho...ead.php?t=8846

BarbieHaunt
    Friends Sold Separately
    (You Too Can Be Sold -
    Just Join Our Friends List!
    Obviously Kidding About Being Sold)

Actually, as explained previously in a thread we started, the silly name BarbieHaunt has absolutely nothing to do with Barbie dolls but was our private joke name because before the haunt's pink and blue styrofoam walls are hard coated and painted, it reminds us of a Barbie Dream Haunt.

Comment

If the books are going to be closed, on a shelf, I can't forsee any issues. Have you ever tried to light a closed book on fire? It's just as difficult as trying to light a 2x4 on fire, it's just to dense to quickly support a flame.

Spray em' with Fire Shield and call it done
      -Brandon Kelm
      Operations Manager & Technical Director

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon_K View Post
        Have you ever tried to light a closed book on fire? It's just as difficult as trying to light a 2x4 on fire, it's just to dense to quickly support a flame.
        Especially if they're glued shut.

Comment

Thanks for your replies. I just heard back from my fire marshall yesterday and in fact, we can use real books. He said that books are not considered "decoration" and he would prefer we just use hard-back books vs. any kind of foam. So, I guess that takes care of that!

The only bummer is that we were hoping to use foam for some other items too...so I wasn't thrilled to hear his opinion on foam use in general. So, I need to figure out how to fire-proof other items that we might make.

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
          X