Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• books and GUNS!!!

well hello to all!!!

a little about me, i have been in the haunt industry for about 9 years as a actor. now i have been feeling it's time to move on. SO that way i can start my own.

any ways..

i am here to ask you, what book is better..

"The Complete Haunted House Book"

by Tim Harkleroad

OR..

Make Your House Everything You've Ever Haunted!

by Tim Harkleroad

i would like to know about this and see if i am making the right move here. I know that money can talk. Book 3 is about $30 and his first book you could hopefully find at maybe $150-250. so i know what i mite be buying but what's better...

now for the guns part..
    i have seen some blank guns for sale and just asking if any one has uesd them in there haunt or you seen them in action before.. or in all just stay away from them. Were you shoot the guns with blanks at the zombies or something like that. I don't know if it will be a bad or a good idea for that. Not only that but the cost for one and the bullets too. for one blank gun that i want will be around $200 and a box of 50 blank bullets will cost me $30.

i am really look in to this for my haunt. My haunt will not be opening for another 1-2 years. I thank you for reading this and i hope you have a good day.

HG
    it's ok... the dark has many faces you can't see..

I would not recommend using a blank gun or any gun in your show, you will recieve many opinions here, but the fact that you felt the need to ask should tell you its a bad idea.
    Allen H
    www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

so why do you think it's a bad idea?? for me in my eyes..

one... yes it can be bad
      it will be to loud and some one mite get hurt too.

but..

i see it beening cool because your customers will feel like there in a real horror zombie movie or something like that.
      Last edited by hauntedghost; 06-26-2009, 11:42 PM.

Comment

We have only ever used shotgun. I believe the cost for shells have gone up a
        lot this year. We were paying $13 for box of 25. There are lower cost shells on market but the problem is most shotgun shells throw out a plastic or paper
        wad that could harm someone. Winchester popper shells lack this wad. Still, there is danger of the burning powder that shots out for few feet. Another thing to consider is distance between groups of people as the blast will give its shelf a way prior to next group of customers reaching the scene. An be sure to wear
        hearing protection.

You might want to look into a 22 cal training pistols from $19.00 to $100.00. One 22 Shorts blanks shells are discribed as loud for $12.75 per 100. Make sure they
        don't shoot out any wad discribed above.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkSchaefer View Post
          We have only ever used shotgun. I believe the cost for shells have gone up a
          lot this year. We were paying $13 for box of 25. There are lower cost shells on market but the problem is most shotgun shells throw out a plastic or paper
          wad that could harm someone. Winchester popper shells lack this wad. Still, there is danger of the burning powder that shots out for few feet. Another thing to consider is distance between groups of people as the blast will give its shelf a way prior to next group of customers reaching the scene. An be sure to wear
          hearing protection.

You might want to look into a 22 cal training pistols from $19.00 to $100.00. One 22 Shorts blanks shells are discribed as loud for $12.75 per 100. Make sure they
          don't shoot out any wad discribed above.

Good info here.

A little more info, I'm sure Mark already knows this, but just to explain the wad projectile. In a normal cartridge, the bullet seated into the casing provides pressure for the powder charge to explode against.

In a squib or blank, there still has to be some way to pressurize the powder. Even if they only used wax or paper, there will still be a dangerous projectile for several feet down range from the fire.

I have considerable and lifelong experience with firearms and can tell you that using any type of firearm for entertainment poses more risks than it's worth. You would need a gun wrangler soley responsible for that firearm, you would also have to inform your insurer and you'd get baked on the premium, don't tell them, have an accident and lose everything you ever thought about having, because you'll default on your ins. contract.

I would advise against it.

Comment

I think there have been a couple of actors killed by guns loaded with blanks.

Comment

Get Tim's Book
              "Make Your House Everything You've Ever Haunted!"
              It's new and up to date. Full of good info.

Guns BAD BAD BAD idea
              (KID you could shoot your I out)
              Gary
              Midnight Evil Productions
              www.MidnightEvil.com
              Owner/Operator of www.CoffinCreek.com/
              www.Twitter.com/CoffinCreek

Comment

"so why do you think it's a bad idea?? for me in my eyes.."
                Um ...its a gun, its made to kill things/people. I do not think you need it to scare people. there are a million reasons why its a bad idea, the only reason it is a good idea is because it is scary. There are a million other ways to scare people, so there is no need to do one that is risky.
                A trained bear charging the group would scare the heck out of them, but there is a risk so do not do it.
                Again, just my thoughts
                Allen H
                www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
                http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by shawnc View Post
                  I think there have been a couple of actors killed by guns loaded with blanks.
                  This is correct.

Brandon Lee (Bruce Lee's son) was killed by a "blank" while filming The Crow. The gun wasn't loaded properly when a stage hand other than the firearms expert got involved with the prop.

John-Erik Hexum had the wad from a blank fired at his head at close range, and it penetrated his skull. He was on set filming a TV series called Cover Up.
                  sigpic

There are three rules to designing a haunt. Unfortunately, nobody knows what they are.

Haunt: www.ScarecrowTheater.com

Comment

Originally posted by Allen H View Post
                    ... There are a million other ways to scare people, so there is no need to do one that is risky.
                    A trained bear charging the group would scare the heck out of them, but there is a risk so do not do it...
                    I agree with Allen's entire post, but I thought he couldn't have said it better than by using the trained bear example. Look what happened to Roy of "Siegfried and Roy" after all of the years of performing the same routine with his precious pet tigers. Just one accident is all it takes.

Just because something is scary doesn't mean you should use it. People get killed every day with guns filled with blanks. One mishap is all it takes. Do you want to spend the rest of your life in jail for manslaughter?
                    They call me PhReAk for a reason...

Comment

i also heard that there is a gun were you can buy that runs off compressed air or something like that.. it does not shoot blanks at all. i don't know if this is ture or not. and by the way i am geting Tim's first book. the cost $150... iam seen the ways of the bad of this but i need to find a better way to do this.

the thing i am using it, is this.. there will be a big "thing" and there is army guys trying to shoot at it while your costomers are behind them in this walk way/ fox hole.

it will be something out like the cloverfield movie.

Comment

Tim's first book, while great, is priced like that just because of its rarity. They hardly ever come up for sale so those who have them price them really high. I think his later books actually deal more with today's situations.

Comment

Originally posted by HauntPhReAk View Post
                          I agree with Allen's entire post, but I thought he couldn't have said it better than by using the trained bear example. Look what happened to Roy of "Siegfried and Roy" after all of the years of performing the same routine with his precious pet tigers. Just one accident is all it takes.

Just because something is scary doesn't mean you should use it. People get killed every day with guns filled with blanks. One mishap is all it takes. Do you want to spend the rest of your life in jail for manslaughter?
                          yes i know, know......i just wish there was some way i can do with out the guns or find a prop gun with out useing blank too. i did buy tim's frist book and it cost me a nice $150 for it too. so i think i am going to hold on to it in tell i die or some thing like that. by the way has anyone read tim's frist book?? was it good or bad? i would like to hear what you say about it. thanks!!

Comment

A blank gun can still kill if fired to close to someone, USE PROP GUNS ONLY!!!! As for not using any gun, to each his own.
                            Giving People The Chills Since 2005

http://www.warehouse31.com

Comment

Even blanks are dangerous

I was working in a "Girl-To-Gorilla" show many years ago, where we'd shoot the "gorilla" with a blank gun as it broke out of its cage. One day the flame from the barrel of the gun set the gorilla suit on fire.

The situation was immediately brought under control and no on was injured - but GO FIGURE.

And besides, some parts of the world the sound of gunfire can have all the mindless pukes pulling THEIR guns out ready to 'pop off a cap'. If you're not metal-detecting them upon entry to your event, there is THAT possibility.

If you were familiar with some crowds out there these days, you wouldn't even CONSIDER using a prop gun as an effect.

Comment

Working...
                              X