Width of Haunt Aisle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Width of Haunt Aisle

Hello! I'm in the midst of drawing out our first floorplan sketch and I was wondering what width seems like a good width for aisles. I'll also be having many rooms in between. I know there are ADA requirements, but those are usually smaller than I would make the aisles anyways. My idea was 4 foot aisles, anyone done this width before? Good? Bad? Ugly?

What has worked for you in the past?

~Natethegreat
    www.fearoverload.com

Our haunt was required to do 4ft hallways with 5ft turns. It had to be wheel chair accessable. It was a bummer because I feel that narrow hallways are more frightning.

Comment

4' isles is standard for regulated haunts, 42" is the ADA requirement (in TX at least pretty sure thats standard) Id love to go narrower to and I used to in my "county property" days. the advantage to 48" hallways is that its really easy to lay the show out on graph paper.
      Allen H
      www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
      http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Four feet is the norm, but I've seen haunts that get around this requirement in certain sections. It really helps to get to know your fire marshall and work with him... or at least step him through your thought process. Good luck!

- Ryan

Blood Lake Haunted House & Haunts of Richmond Ghost Tours
        www.bloodlakeva.com www.hauntsofrichmond.com
        Located in Richmond, VA

Comment

4 ft works great. You dont want much wider or less.
          Damon
          Damon Carson

Comment

Mine vary between 42" and 48".
            Kevin
            MindWerxKMG, LLC

Comment

One thing I learned in the park service is that an attraction or ticketed event, private or public, must offer some form or portion of it's entertainment to ADA applicable visitors. Your entire attraction doesn't have to be accessible.

That is, lets say your haunt is 3000 lineal feet of path; you could have 2000 of it accessible and 1000 not and be legal. You'd have a lower ticket price as well for that portion. That way your last 1000 could be modified beyond the 48" rule so long as it met all exit and fire codes.

I could be wrong on this last part, but ADA is a federal law so at least the basic core regulations are standard nationwide. I wouldn't be surprised if California regulations are different from Alaska but there has to be some standard set of rules that apply everywhere.

It'd be interesting to see how the large market, multiple story haunts handle this. Elevators?

Comment

Indiana has a special code section just for haunted houses and it states that walls must be 36 inches wide but can go down to 24 wide and 24 tall for 12 feet (I think) but must have 50 feet of 36" aisle way before you do another 24 x 24 section.

Comment

4 feet is standard I understand. You really need this width when you have folks in wheelchairs come through.

Allan

Comment

Our minimum was 36" but for the most part we are between 42 and 48. That was determined by the architect that we were required to have draw up the plans and both the building inspector and fire inspector have passed us each year.
                    Jared Layman

Comment

Working...
                    X