Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vendors, Haunters, Anyone... Want to Help us Brainstorm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vendors, Haunters, Anyone... Want to Help us Brainstorm?

Hey there fellow haunters and haunt enthusiasts! I'm looking for anyone who is interested in helping us brainstorm. We're getting close to putting a wrap on the Raycliff Manor renovations and beginning to think hard about the new Carriage House attraction. I'm hoping vendors with products they think will work in the new attraction will share their ideas with us. I'm also hoping that all you haunters (owners, actors, enthusiasts) will share your ideas too! We're planning to have Kip from Pale Night Productions come back out and help us with the implementation of the new features in the Raycliff Carriage House. This attraction is going to have a steampunk look and feel.

In case you haven't read it in another of my posts, the following is the theme for the new Carriage House attraction...

"Something strange has been taking place in the old Raycliff Manor Carriage House. Odd sounds have been heard and unusual flashes of light have been seen appearing in the normally darkened windows. There's a feeling of electricity in the air and steam appears to be rising from the top of the Raycliff Carriage House!

In the Raycliff Carriage House, Professor Walter Widget has stumbled upon some old equipment, not just any equipment, but that used by Dr. Raycliff himself in his experiments to extract fears from those unfortunate enough to be submitted to his treatments. Now the professor has figured out how to re-ignite the old steam driven machinery and a strange obsession has overtaken him. All he needs are willing subjects. Are you willing? Come and encounter the disorienting and mind bending experience the victims of Raycliff Manor faced when suffering the extraction of their fears. You may also be confronted with your fears as you brave the many twists and turns inside the Raycliff CARRIAGE HOUSE!"

We plan to have an intro scene with Professor Walter Widget greeting the guests and then pulling a lever to fire up the old steam driven machinery. A door will open allowing the guests to enter the "fear extractor" machine and begin their journey. We're looking for ideas to incorporate into the rooms and halls of the attraction.

If you feel like helping us brainstorm, please feel free to post your ideas and suggestions, or email me at info@raycliffmanor.com with your feedback. All responses are greatly appreciated!

Kel
    sigpic
    Kelly Allen
    Raycliff Manor Haunted Attraction
    www.RaycliffManor.com
    www.Facebook.com/RaycliffManor
    www.HauntBook.com

Kilbot from Edge productions makes a lot of sense in a steampunk type of theme. Don't know if it sold, but 4 weeks ago, the floor model from transworld was still up for sale at half price. Can't ask much more than that. http://www.hauntworld.com/haunted_ho...ead.php?t=8602

While checking that out at www.edgedesignsonline.com, I'd also suggest taking a look at the selection of gears, equipment dials. I thought they also had steam pipes and sparking electrical equipment that would fit, but I don't see those on their website.

PS. Just to clarify, you are going for a more victorian , Jules Verne or H.G. Wells style steampunk, not a more gritty, industrial steampunk, right? From what I saw of the character you mentioned, it seemed like the victorian style.
    Last edited by HauntedMemphis; 07-05-2009, 11:39 PM.
    sigpic

There are three rules to designing a haunt. Unfortunately, nobody knows what they are.

Haunt: www.ScarecrowTheater.com

Comment

While making your own props, I found some real nice sites for making props. Not exactly what you were looking for as far as stuff to just buy, but some really nice looking stuff.

http://www.datamancer.net/ --- Has some beautiful props like making computer components look like they are steampunk.

http://www.steampunklab.com/ --- Lots of prop making including lots of variations of steampunk goggles and even cooler looking watches
      sigpic

There are three rules to designing a haunt. Unfortunately, nobody knows what they are.

Comment

Yes, we're definitely going for the Victorian / Jules Verne look and not the grungy industrial lookl. Thanks for the heads up on the Edge Design show floor props for sale. We're actually getting the steam pipes from them. We're also trying to determine how to incorporate the gears and gagues. Thanks for the links too... awesome stuff!

Kel
        sigpic
        Kelly Allen
        www.RaycliffManor.com
        www.HauntBook.com

Comment

Kelly,
          There was a role playing game (still is actually) called DEADLANDS google image search it. It has a western flair to it, but it is also steam punk. Instead of coal they use "ghost rock" it screams as it burns. There is alot of neat steam punky monsters and imagery.
          Just doing an association with steampunk and fear I think of
          Fear "harvesters" like a steam punk version of the borg
          Metal insects and spider are very steam punky and could be scary. (I think a hot wire foam cutter will be your friend)
          Make a latex mold of a big bolt heads, to pour them up use hot glue it cools in the mold and gives you many cheap pieces.
          Fusion spray paint has great spray metallic paint, they have brass, bronze, and copper as well as a couple "hand hammered" textured ones.
          The guests being inside of a giant clock would be cool, use mirrors to make it seem bigger and to have more moving gears than it does
          when I think of steam I think of trains, so perhaps the train noise maker from fright props?
          When I think of machinery I think of gremlins, so maybe you could work them in.

Thats all thats popping into my head now but I will revisit this later,
          Allen H
          www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
          http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Thanks Allen! I'll google DEADLANDS for sure and check it out! Thanks for the feedback!

Kel
            sigpic
            Kelly Allen
            www.RaycliffManor.com
            www.HauntBook.com

Comment

If you are looking for more sources of genre inspiration, and are just looking for something kind of fun, there was a video game called Arcanum that was released sometime around 2000 or 2001 for the PC. It's based on the steampunk genre with a mix of magic and fantasy. Could be a side thing to do "research" with, and if I remember correctly, it was actually a decently done game.
              sigpic

Comment

Hmmm

Giant gears and clock parts
                Foam coated
                Call me or tell Kipp too!
                Gee could it get any better than this?

Comment

ideas for the manor

Love the ideas everyone else had. Im definatly feeling the big gears thing as well. Make as much of the haunt feel like the inside of a machine. Almost like the 13 Ghosts movie.

Maybe some type of room that the patrons enter and exit from the same doorway. Maybe that room actually moved with the guests in it. Would really make them feel confused but like they are very much part of the house....part of the machine.

All my thoughts for now,

Kelly Anderson
                  HauntYourHouse.net
                  Kelly Anderson
                  Owner- Halloween Undercroft
                  http://www.halloweenundercroft.com/
                  Owner- Haunt Your House llc

Comment

We gathered a lot of inspiration from DARKWATCH (Video game)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darkwatch Our second year. Might fit the genre....

Kel, I have a ton of music I did and sound effects from that year if you want to hear a sample or heck I can send a cd - just holler! lol

T

Comment

Thanks for the additional responses. I've just returned from 9 days in Vegas. What they are doing on Fremont Street (Summer of 69) is just awesome. At any rate, I'm trying to get caught up as fast as possible. Only 9 days left to get the new attraction ready to open! Yikes! Thanks again for all the feedback, ideas and inspiration!

Kel
                      sigpic
                      Kelly Allen
                      www.RaycliffManor.com
                      www.HauntBook.com

Comment

Working...
                      X