HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

View Poll Results: Do You Feel Any Nostalgia For The Old "Black Wall/Day-Glo Painted" Haunts?

6. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1) Yes, there was a certain cheesy charm to them that I miss.

3 50.00%
  • 2) Heck no, they looked cheap and weren't that good

1 16.67%
  • 3) I've never been to one before

2 33.33%

Thread: Anyone Remember "Baron Funfrite" In Daytona Beach,

1. Default Anyone Remember "Baron Funfrite" In Daytona Beach, 
    Whilst recently reminiscing about my semi-misspent youth, I was looking at some pictures I'd taken during my trip to Daytona Beach for Spring Break back in '86. I remember there being a haunted attraction located there on the Daytona Beach Boardwalk called "Baron Funfrite's Haunted House". I didn't go inside (I was more interested in conserving beer money at the time), but I recall it was a fairly large building and some of the artwork on the outside was a scene depicting two Conan The Barbarian-types getting ready to tear into each other, with a boxing referee standing between them (!) and the image of Baron Funfrite himself (who resembled the Monopoly guy) uttering the phrase "It's A FUN HOUSE of Course!".

Did anyone out there ever visit or does anyone remember this place? I've done several web searches and came up without so much as a mention about it and I know they did a major revamping of the Daytona Beach Boardwalk about 10 years ago, so odds are it's long gone...

Warren Vanderdark;
    Owner & Head Mortician,
    The Baxter Avenue Morgue,

"We all go a little mad sometimes..."

- Norman Bates

2. Default  
    Cedarburg, WI
    I remember that one. I have been to Daytona almost 29 times now, and I almost moved to FLA a few years back. I was alot younger in 86 (hahaha only 10) but I do have some old pictures of the place and me in front of it.

I love that old Daytona Beach Boardwalk it was always a blast, even last year when I was there again.

"The Original Haunt Industry, Halloween and Horror Podcast"

"Bringing Halloween to Disabled and Less Fortunate Children"

3. Default  
    In response to the poll, I miss the black wall and GiD paint. They were just fun to go to. They were scary too. Although they weren't detailed like larger haunts such as The Darkness, I think people expect to be scared, most of them aren't looking for the detail, at least at the average attraction. If people are knowingly going to a detailed haunt, and paying alot of dough, yes they are expecting a detailed haunt. But most people just want to be scared, and expect the black maze kind of haunt.
    "If you fail to plan, plan to fail"

Thread Information