Building inexpensive Haunt Rooms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building inexpensive Haunt Rooms?

Hi I just wanted some ideas on building rooms for a haunt that would be inexpensive and scary. List the ideas. Thanks

Wow...this is open. First I will give you unsolicited advice, then I will answer your question.
    If you need this level of help perhaps you should consider a consultant. Do you want rooms or themes? what is your current occupation (what assets do you have?) What is cheap form some is expensive to others. I do all of my own sculpting and molding, so props are cheaper for me than most, Im piss poor at electrical so those effects are expensive for me because I need someone else to do alot of it.
    Have you worked for a haunted house yet? Or are you wanting to jump right into owning your own? I would highly recommend learning the ropes on someone else's dime.

The cheapest haunts do do are CNN or zombie haunts. Since both crazy people and zombies are (or used to be) people the sets where you would find them are full of easy to get people stuff. no special time period is required.
    What is your location? If you have a wooded trail, then a few old fence panels, some malibu lights, and some costumes and you could have a decent show for just a grand or so. Pick a theme that is easy to do, set it in modern times, and that will keep the cost down.
    Think of your goals and then find a cheap way to get there. example
    Goal: to have mutants in the show
    how to get there #1 aliens are mutating people
    #2 genetic research gone wrong
    #3 Inbreeding hillbillies
    The research lab is to expensive of a set to do and have it look right, an alien space craft or facility could also get expensive, but hillbillies are cheap! so go with the inbreds.
    It would be easier for us for you to tell us your goals and then ask for help getting there cheaply. Your post kinda seems like you want us to do all of your planning for you.
    good luck,
    Allen H
    www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Allan check out my website www.haunteddeadend.com We are expanding and with the economy and all we have tons of ideas but looking for some inexpensive ideas for the rooms. We have a theme and ideas but always looking for other ideas that people have found our were easy to make/setup and gave great scares and people loved.

Comment

haunt room ideas

Ive been a part of a haunt now for about 6-7 years. I've had great success building shrink rooms or rooms with panels on the walls that drop and characters can pop out for the scare. Ive also made rooms where the walls of the room lower, which can drastically change the appearence of the room and taking the patron off gaurd while setting up your next scare.

The shrink room and panel dropping room were probably the cheapest to build and extremely effective. The wall dropping room was quite a bit more involved but totally worth the extra effort. Depending on the materials you have access to, you may be able to do the same relatively cheap.

Ive wrote a page on my website about these ideas if your interested. www.hauntyourhouse.net Click on "The Haunted House". If you would like further detail dont hesitate to ask. Good Luck!!

Kelly Anderson
        www.hauntyourhouse.net
        Kelly Anderson
        Owner- Halloween Undercroft
        http://www.halloweenundercroft.com/
        Owner- Haunt Your House llc

Comment

Cheap Room.

A totally dark room. An obsessed storyteller and the room becomes terror-filled.
          Poisoning the rooms of their mind. Convulsions of fear follow.
          THEY know what scares them, we don't.
          The grinning monkey asked me infront of his co-workers that afternoon:"Do you have Tupperware in that house?"
          "Yes I do. It was a torture device in my murder mystery, a man got a very sensitive part severely pinched when the Tupperware lid closed on him in the motel room that afternoon."
          His smile faded.
          That night the group came through my house, except for "Mr. Tupperware", he chickened out even though he was the office clown, wild& crazy guy, but Tupperware did him in.
          Nobody could have guessed this beforehand.
          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Perhaps a black (completely dark) room with sound effects? There is a lot you can do with sound effects alone.

Comment

Curtain maze
              Door maze
              upside down room
              kitchen from hell (craigslist for props)
              scare crow sets
              grim reaper set
              an attic/ closet set (walking through a long closet with clothes hung on both sides, actors can be hidden behind the clothes)
              if the thread stays alive long enough I will think of and post more.
              Allen H

Comment

Originally posted by HauntedDeadEnd View Post
                Allan check out my website www.haunteddeadend.com We are expanding and with the economy and all we have tons of ideas but looking for some inexpensive ideas for the rooms. We have a theme and ideas but always looking for other ideas that people have found our were easy to make/setup and gave great scares and people loved.
                Wow, looks like you have been putting a lot of work into making your home haunt really something.

What is the theme you have picked? It will really make it easier to narrow down ideas with a more direct starting point.

Comment

"Special Helpers" here last night.

A girl said, "Did you touch my foot?" To the boy sitting beside of her, then I activated a display near them and she wanted to blame that device or me for the sensation of something brushing along the bottom of her foot. "?"! I took the time to do everything over again just to show her that it was nothing that I had done.
                  One portion of the basement often sees special helpers there, they have mastered invisibilty and never say a word they just touch some people on their backs or pull their hair ever so slightly except for the over-dressed Chinese-American woman whose expensive hair flew up over her head as if someone had grabbed two big handfulls of hair and threw them strongly , or as if she had walked over a big blast of air. I doubt very much if she will ever be coming back here again!
                  This extreme hair incident happened in the well-lit exit tunel where solid concrete arched walls/ceiling eliminate any possible hiding places for people or devices.
                  Then there is the terrifying thing called "Ambient Sound", we have wheelbarrows full here and it does rattle some customers and often there will be no explanation I can find either.
                  hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

A few more cheap room ideas...
                    I saw online once a haunt did a whole room covered in camo net and Had a giant mouth puppet operated by an actor hidden against the wall, very cool effect.

A spiders lair- tons of webbing in a room with a giant web across the cielieng the web can be on a pulley to drop a foot or two and really freak out the whole group.

Jim,
                    we cant all have that kind of free help at our shows. There was rumor of a ghost at Terror on Church street when I was there, he was called "the yellow man".
                    Allen H

Comment

Here's a link for building the Big Mouth. There are a few good ideas on the site.

http://www.scaryguys.com/bigmouth.htm

Comment

Working...
                      X