Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• animatronic problems. help

Hi,
    Last year my one animatronic (I do a home haunt) was not going up everytime. The motion sensor, solenoid, and all other eletronics activated just fine everytime, but the actual prop just didnt have enough "kick" to get up.

I was told a way to fix this would be by hooking up a blaster tank. I dont know what these are or how to hook them up but the idea was that this small tank would fill up with enough air to give it that kick it needed.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Drew
    Drew and Shane
    www.deadenddungeon.com

It sounds like the real issue is your compressor is not powerful enough, or the pressure is to low going to the piston. The "blaster" tank they are referring to is just a small perhaps 5 gallon tank hooked up in line between the piston and the compressor, your compressor charges the tank and the tanks pressure activates the piston.
    I get mine at Harbor freight
    http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...tank&Submit=Go
    make sure to have the pressure set right for the prop you are using, do not exceed the max PSI listed. put a regulator between the storage tank and the prop.
    There are far better pneumatic guru's on the board than I, and I hope they fill in any blanks I might have left out .
    Allen H
    www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Drew and Shane,

To me a blaster tank is an air cannon. An air cannon is NOT what you want to use in this situation.

I would recommend a tank (reserve tank) with a the large enough capacity to operate your prop 3 to 5 times. On this tank I would also suggest a 1-way or a check valve to restrict the flow back in the direction of the compressor. this will ensure once that tank is full it will not force air back towards the compressor in the event the system/compressor's pressure drops below the required pressure to operate your prop.

Another recommendation I would offer is to be sure your air lines are large enough to flow the required air to keep your prop activated.

With out knowing every detail in your air supply system I cannot give you a surefire answer to your issue (air compressor size, and CFM of the air compressor, supply lines (from compressor to prop- from valve to cylinder), valve and cylinder type & size, air dryer or not, and oiler or not.

If the above recommendations don't help, get ahold of us and we will help you out.
      Ken
      www.boocrewproduction.com

Comment

More Help

I think what you're asking about is a buffer tank. Not that this wasn't explained already but to put pictures with words, check out this website. Hope it helps and good luck.

http://www.teamdavinci.com/understanding_pneumatics.htm

Comment

animatronic problem

Did the prop your talking about ever work properly for you? If so how old is the props pnuematics? Has an oiler and a filter dryer been added to the air supply lines?

In my haunt, the building we use can get damp. At least the humidity can get quite high and theres not alot of air exchange through out the year except during construction. I have to pay close attention the the pnuematic components and keep things oiled and free of moisture to prevent the cylinders from getting those sticky spots in them.

Maybe one of the pro's here can touch on maintenance for pnuematics.

Kelly Anderson
          HauntYourHouse.net
          Kelly Anderson
          Owner- Halloween Undercroft
          http://www.halloweenundercroft.com/
          Owner- Haunt Your House llc

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly Anderson View Post
            Did the prop your talking about ever work properly for you? If so how old is the props pnuematics? Has an oiler and a filter dryer been added to the air supply lines?

In my haunt, the building we use can get damp. At least the humidity can get quite high and theres not alot of air exchange through out the year except during construction. I have to pay close attention the the pnuematic components and keep things oiled and free of moisture to prevent the cylinders from getting those sticky spots in them.

Maybe one of the pro's here can touch on maintenance for pnuematics.

Kelly Anderson
            HauntYourHouse.net
            Yes, the prop works great most of the time but every twenty times or so it would not go up. I pulled it out yesterday and found that whenever the compressor was getting close to the min. psi set for the prop is when it would stop working and a few min later after the tank filled up it would work fine. It is only a year old. I got it from frightprops. here is the link to it http://www.frightprops.com/FrightPro...ct.asp?ID=0759
            Drew and Shane
            www.deadenddungeon.com

Comment

animatronic problem

Definately sounds like a lack of stored air. The air tank on the air compressor is a bit small for as many times as the prop is going off and the compressor cant keep up. You could aquire a bigger air compressor with more air capacity or as mentioned earlier, just another air tank close to your prop.

Kelly Anderson
              HauntYourHouse.net
              Kelly Anderson

Comment

Drew and Shane,

As Kelly says it sounds like it is due to lack of air. adding a tank my help a little, although without a compressor that can go to a higher minimum pressure you will still encounter the problem.

In my opinion, the cylinder may be too small to handle the weight of the prop you are mounting to it. I try to keep my mechanisms well below the minimum air pressure compressors kick on at.

EXAMPLE: Many compressors kick on at 90 PSI and off at 120 PSI. So if your prop requires 110 PSI to operate you will have the issue you are currently having. I work to keep my pressures down around the 60 PSI arena, so you won't encounter low pressure.

Two things will solve your problem. 1) is to buy a compressor that has a higher PSI setting. 2) install a larger diameter cylinder on the mechanism, although; to install a larger diameter cylinder you will have to totally revamp the mechanism. WELL actually there are 3 ways, you could buy one of our mechanisms that are rated for a lower PSI...lol We are also willing to alter our designs to meet the needs of our customers.

shameless self plug there...

Not to bash anyone's equipment; there are several factors that needs to be addressed when designing a mechanism. Sometimes factors get over looked for price and sometimes quality. These same factors should also be addressed when buying mechanisms.
                Ken
                www.boocrewproduction.com

Comment

Originally posted by Boo Crew Production View Post
                  Drew and Shane,

As Kelly says it sounds like it is due to lack of air. adding a tank my help a little, although without a compressor that can go to a higher minimum pressure you will still encounter the problem.

In my opinion, the cylinder may be too small to handle the weight of the prop you are mounting to it. I try to keep my mechanisms well below the minimum air pressure compressors kick on at.

EXAMPLE: Many compressors kick on at 90 PSI and off at 120 PSI. So if your prop requires 110 PSI to operate you will have the issue you are currently having. I work to keep my pressures down around the 60 PSI arena, so you won't encounter low pressure.

Two things will solve your problem. 1) is to buy a compressor that has a higher PSI setting. 2) install a larger diameter cylinder on the mechanism, although; to install a larger diameter cylinder you will have to totally revamp the mechanism. WELL actually there are 3 ways, you could buy one of our mechanisms that are rated for a lower PSI...lol We are also willing to alter our designs to meet the needs of our customers.

shameless self plug there...

Not to bash anyone's equipment; there are several factors that needs to be addressed when designing a mechanism. Sometimes factors get over looked for price and sometimes quality. These same factors should also be addressed when buying mechanisms.
                  Great info. Thanks Boo Crew!!
                  Kelly Anderson

Comment

Working...
                  X