1st Walkthrough Setup this year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Walkthrough Setup this year

Question for Home Haunters that have had walkthrough attractions on their property. I've had a yard haunt for the last five years but have had always separated my scenes and actors on my property and crowd on the street.
    This year I'm planning to set some scenes on the street, and have people walk between them and the ones on the yard.
    My concern is over insurance issues. How have other folks dealt with that issue with having people in your yard or garage?
    Only plan on having this up for 2 hours during halloween night.
    Thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

Chainsaw

We actually went to the permit office and asked them about any problems we might have with our haunted attraction and they sent us over to the sheriffs office who said what we were doing was alright. So I would recommend doing the same thing, just go to your local permit office and explain what you are doing and see what they say. You might want to think about doing it for 3 hours, because you might find you want more time.

Comment

Cool Thanks.

Definitely going to check that out since part of my setup will be on the street.
      I'll have to see if they will let me extend for 1 hr more. Unfortunately we have an 8 pm curfew in the village where I am. If so it would be a more intense, splatter filled event then the regular hours that includes T'oT'ers and their parents.
      Thanks for the advice!

Comment

Ya another thing is that I know last year with the date of daylight savings changed it didn't start getting dark till around 7PM.

Comment

1st walkthrough

Wasn't too bad in my neck of the woods, but I hear ya. Unfortunately we are
          stuck with a 6pm to 8pm time frame in my village. Another reason to do a mostly
          covered, indoor type of show this year just in case. Basically using plywood roofs, a covered carport and some black plastic.

Comment

Ya if it is covered then you shouldn't have a problem with the light. It would probably still be nice to do it a little longer though. Ours is uncovered and we opened at 6 last year and it wasn't really good until 7 to go through. Luckily people were smart though and didn't come till then. We had a pretty steady stream of people from about 7:30 to 9. So this year we're expecting to have more people since last year everyone loved it. Were doing ours from 7-10 this year which is a pretty short amount of time considering all the work we put into it, but that way even if we have double the amount of people we should be able to get everyone through and if we have to stay open later we can. Plus it is always nice to have a consistent stream of people and if we have double the amount which would be the most I will expect we'll be busy all of our opening time.

Comment

1st walkthrough

So you have people come on to your personal property, and no issues with
              insurance or fear of accidents and someone suing? That's my biggest concern right now. I'm very focused on safety, but anything can or will happen.
              How do you handle those issues if I can ask.

Chainsaw

Comment

Well I'm guessing you mean walking though the haunted house because no matter what people are going to walk on to my property to get candy. But as far as people getting hurt on our rules sign we put "ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK." I mean no matter what you are probably going to run into that because I am not sure that there is anything you can do about it. When we talked to the sheriff she didn't say anything about that so... we just don't really worry about it. I think having the "enter at your own risk" helps. What kind of layout are you thinking of, is it like an enclosed maze type think or an open walk?

Comment

1st walkthrough

I'm actually planning a gauntlet type of walkthrough,
                  almost completely straight through with scenes on both sides, and
                  a small maze like at the end,
                  just a serpentine shape so that I only need 2 chainsaw guys but can still
                  "get them" 4 or 5 times. The whole structure is only going to be 48 to 53 ft long,
                  with two scenes outside, 1 before and 1 at the que line.
                  Appreciate the insights and advice Goat.

Chainsaw

Comment

LOL, that is funny we had actually though about doing that before, but we never did. Now we are actually doing a haunt in our front yard. Good Luck

Comment

Huge success

Completed out first walkthrough this year, The Chop Shop. A slaughterhouse theme with a chainsaw at the end of course. Had screams from beginning to end, one intense hit after the other. Total of 10 Actors and 5 people helping from the outside as well. Structure was a U shaped path with rooms on one side, and a long strobe lit tunnel leading to the Chainsaw room at the end. It was constructed of 165 wooden pallets, a carport and some pieces of plywood. Rooms were closed off with a strip of chicken wire to keep people out.
                      Next year we are doing a smaller haunt, without the pallets. It made for a very solid structure, but is very heavy and time consuming to stack and assemble all those pallets. Gonna go with 3 or 4 carport tents connected together and the theme will be a clown house.
                      Just wanted to update this forum and wish good luck to everyone for 2010.

Comment

Working...
                      X