Length of time to walk through your haunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Length of time to walk through your haunt

Was wondering what the average time for guests to go through your haunt is. The haunt I work with we average about 20 minutes. Depending on whether we use all three floors for our haunt, we had anywhere from 15 to over 25 minutes.

Also as a charity haunt we only charge $7 per ticket ( we upped it from $6 two years ago). We dont adjust our price to how long it takes to go through our haunt. Does the amount of time aloan to go through your haunts, whether big or small, play much of contributing factor in the price you charge?

Thanks for any feedback,

Kelly Anderson
    HauntYourHouse.net
    Kelly Anderson
    Owner- Halloween Undercroft
    http://www.halloweenundercroft.com/
    Owner- Haunt Your House llc

I just made this up because it sounded reasonable and honestly wasn't sure how others do it.

I(personally) think for every dollar we charge we should provide 2 minutes of entertainment. $5 charge I think we owe the public at minimum a 10 minute show. If we charge $7= 14 mins, $10=20 mins.
    Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it… Autograph your work with excellence!

Comment

I believe 20 minutes is a good time to walk through a haunted house. Sometimes it starts to drag on and I can't wait until the end comes.
      ~Bill Mlinac
      The Deadland Haunted House
      www.facebook.com/Deadlandhauntedhouse
      www.Thedeadland.comsigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Motograter View Post
        I believe 20 minutes is a good time to walk through a haunted house. Sometimes it starts to drag on and I can't wait until the end comes.
        CoughCoughTheDarknessCough.
        Zach Wiechmann
        www.frontyardfright.com

Comment

Legends of the Fog - times and prices

Originally posted by evilmanor View Post

I(personally) think for every dollar we charge we should provide 2 minutes of entertainment. $5 charge I think we owe the public at minimum a 10 minute show. If we charge $7= 14 mins, $10=20 mins.
          I know this has been presented before (someone's going to yell at me) but this is my concern with the coffin ride... the coffin ride is approx 2 minutes... and I can't see charging more than 3 bucks for the thing. But that's just me... I'm a stingy kind of guy. Some people on our staff think that $5 is a good number... but I would rather have a long line for the coffin ride at 3 bucks, than no line at 5 bucks. Any suggestions?

We're considering charging $5 for a coffin ride and a t-shirt at promotional events, and then giving them a $5 discount coupon to come to the attraction.

On the attraction side of life... I think 2-3 min/buck is fair
          Patrick Barberry
          www.legendsofthefog.com
          sigpic

Comment

Coffin Ride-$5.00 I. M. Opinion

A 2 minute ride probably doesnot include the time spent explaining the ride, the time spent answering questions, the time spent waiting while some debate whether or not to do it and probably doesnot include the time it takes some people to get out of it. Am I right about these items?
            Even explaining the simplest deal ever made just befuddles some people , especially if they are the least bit apprehensive already, I mean you might be rendering their bodies down into fat to make soap or something, right?
            A tour of The Ravens Grin has me doing alot of explaining about many things, personal things because we live here, questions about the hauntings here because it is a haunted, haunted house, then add the torture devices and I'm talking myself to death..but I have alot of fun here interacting this heavilly with the customers, I love it.
            Wouldn't trade it for a black maze for twice the income.
            One might walk through here in 45 min. but nobody ever does, too much strange stuff to see. A tour requires at least 90 min. usually.
            I'm open every night of the entire year.
            Who would come back, driving hours to get here for a 10 minute black maze and a chainsaw?
            Last edited by Jim Warfield; 07-15-2009, 08:13 AM.
            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

hmmm

Our haunt should be about 0.4 miles long if walking through it....I don't know how long this will take for people to go through. Any idea?

Thanks!

~Natethegreat
              www.fearoverload.com

Comment

as for me we have it about around 45 mins to walk though. the owners have them pay about $15 bucks a head. It would come out to be 33 cents a min.

IF it was me this what i would do...

45 mins walk though = $10 bucks a head. If my math is true then it would be about 22 cents a min.

now you see what makes a small differents in money?

now you take say..20 people X $10 bucks person = 200 dollers!!!

and 22 cents a min X 20 people = $4.40

any ways if my math is wrong then tell me it's late for me and can't think well right now.

HG
                it's ok... the dark has many faces you can't see..

Comment

So what if it takes 45 minutes or 15 minutes - there are so many other factors left out here.

How many actors per square foot? I mean come on - if I have 2 haunts both are 20 minute shows and one has 10 actors and the other has 40 - let's see... is there a difference?

I feel like 20-30 minutes is a good length for a long show anything over that is probably too long 45 minutes being the extreme. But is it a hayride, walk through, ??

If it's a hayride are all the tractors doing the same speed? If it's a walk through - how many run compared to how many that take in every detail and how many actually keep a decent pace in between... How many scenes, how many interaction points, how many actors, how many props etc...

Too many variables that need to be considered - - every haunt, show will be different.

If you price too low - people think it might suck - if you go too high - you risk losing people... the key ingredient is making the best show that rewards word of mouth and that in return will drive your traffic flow...

To maintain a non boring show that is not too long, yet memorable enough and longer than 5 minutes....

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Nightmarez View Post
                    So what if it takes 45 minutes or 15 minutes - there are so many other factors left out here.
                    I just come back to this thread to say pretty much the same thing. This will be my first year doing a charity based haunt (previous experience in home haunting). I've got to the point where realism is the key, ambience, layout, theme, etc... and I failed to identify that in my initial statement.

If it takes 20 mins to walk through a spirit store full of props I still wouldn't pay $5 to do it at night in the dark with fog, strobes and blacklights.

Now that I think about it I'm not sure why they don't try and do that after hours...lol
                    Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it… Autograph your work with excellence!

Comment

SW will have 8 separate mazes this year, each taking from 5-15 minutes to walk through. In addition there are three "Scare Zones" that people can enter and leave at their leisure. All of it is included in one price and customers can go through each maze as many times as they wish. Add in the roller coasters and other rides and it adds up to a lot of bang for the buck.

I think regular admission was $32.99. (with many discounts available) I can't do the math but I don't know many people that thought it was a bad deal.
                      http://www.bigscaryshow.com
                      http://www.rabidbadger.org

Comment

Everything is "Relative"

Depending upon how hard and long a person has to work to make those dollars. I'm 60 yrs. old, my first job working in a small factory paid me $64.50 a week for 40 hours. I obviously still remember it(since you are reading about it here)
                        The higher the admission the more people will expect from the experience and the more complaints if it doesn't live fully up to their expectations. No you will not please everybody we all should already know this, but....??
                        There was the formula hooking up a haunt admission price to the price it cost to see a movie, whether or not this worked, I don't know, but is anyone paying $32.00 to see a movie?
                        Alright, maybe with including the popcorn and pop, there would be the $32.oo!
                        There it is! $10.00 for the haunt ticket plus $22.00 for the pop and popcorn! Speed-Pass"? We grease up the popcorn, ever heard of poopcorn?
                        (Most movie popcorn always gave me stomach cramps)
                        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

In our area, this is a new form of local entertainment. We have to build a market, not complete with other haunts. Our theory ( and that is all that is ) is that if we can provide a similar entertainment value to a movie theater, then we have a shot at that money coming our way. So the pricing has to be in the general area and we need to provide a similar amount of entertainment time. In general we are trying to provide the guests with a 1 hour experience. This includes an approximately 25-30 minute haunt, 15-20 minute themed queue line entertainment, and then 15 minutes of general pre line fair type entertainment.
                          Randy Russom

www.midstatescare.com
                          Mid State Scare - San Luis Obispo and Santa Maria's favorite Haunted House
                          2013 - Hmmm, we shall see what gets conjured up

Comment

can we brainstorm on how long it takes a patron to walk through based on linear feet of travel.
                            Owner of The Fear Experience Haunted House in Cleveland, Ohio, voted the #1 haunted house in Ohio, and #14 in America by Funtober. The Fear Experience Haunted House was called the premier haunted attraction in northeast ohio by cleveland.com and #1 in cleveland by metromix.

Comment

<<can we brainstorm on how long it takes a patron to walk through based on linear feet of travel.>>

I'm not a math whiz, but I can tell you our inside haunt is 12,000 square feet and they traverse through standard size halls zig zagging throughout. It takes them about 20 to 30 minutes, depending on how fast the first person takes them (they go in groups). They also stop at various stations for scenes and interactive performances. There is another 3,000 to 4,000 feet outside that we also utilize, but that takes them very little time, because at that point, they are usually running.
                              www.TerrorOfTallahassee.com

Comment

Working...
                              X