Upper Torso with spine prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upper Torso with spine prop

Does anybody have a link to plans to build the prop like seen at the Ripleys haunted adventure. it has an actor that apperars as just an upper torso with a spine hanging down. I know its done with mirrors but any more info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dean
    www.2scary.com

Its pretty simple if you look at the pictures... if you need more help let me know.. This is a similar design just with a voodoo theme. Instead of a spine its a wooden pole.

Bill Rod.
    Dark Tech Effects
    Automated DMX Lighting
    Show Control - Audio / Visual Effects

Comment

Got to be honest here....... I never ever even closely understood this version of the illusion! BLECH!
      Buried deep beneath Darksyde acres Haunted house In Michigan I'm the Best at what I do, What I do Isn't very NICE!

Comment

You can see the picture here...( http://www.visualillusion.net/s.gif ) of how the illusion is constructed. With two mirrors angled, it will refelect the sides of the walls or box, thus hiding the body. I remember quite an old episode of Mr. wizard where he explained it using a head on a table, and the body below the table being hidden by mirrors. In the picture the letter "M" represents Mirrors at a 90 degree angle.

Here is another example, which better shows the idea:

And an even better description comes from the book:
        Magic: Stage Illusions, Scientific Diversions, Including Trick Photography
        and can be found through the link below. I recommend this reading to all halloween horror illusion fans, most of the tricks are from old old magic acts. I would read from page 69-73 to get the full description.
        http://books.google.com/books?id=-hQ...NIsVBGFINbGQEM

Hope this helps!
        Brod
        Bill Rod.
        Dark Tech Effects
        Automated DMX Lighting
        Show Control - Audio / Visual Effects

Comment

Or just hang one of Tuxedo Industries wonderfull signs below the rib cage that says "Ignore This For Total Effect!"
          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Thanks for the info. I have one question how far up does the mirrors come? im assuming up to the bottom of the torso.

Dean
            www.2scary.com

Comment

Yes. It can be done with one mirror that goes from one side of the 'box' to the other, then angles backward 90 degrees from the top front edge (under the torso or table top) to the lower back edge of the 'box'. The mirror reflects the pattern on the sides and bottom of the box making it appear to be a complete empty box. It takes a little messing around with the patterns and viewing angles to get it to look perfect. The actor is leaning forward and may need to brace his/her weight on the same 'shelf' that is holding the mirror, so make it strong enough to take it. This looks best if raised above the viewer's head or below his waist (like under a table).
              ------------------------
              The child is grown, the dream is gone.
              I have become comfortably numb.

Comment

Welcome back Scarlett! Can't wait to meet you at TW!!!

Kel
                Chris Riehl
                Sales@spookyfinder.com
                (586)209-6935
                www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Very.....clean.....mirrors....

I've seen a couple times when the mirror has scuff marks on it, same with the glass on a peppers ghost, nothing kills the night more than someone thinking you're supposed to see the glass or mirrors.

"Johnny, do you see the ghost on the glass there? SCARY!"

"JOHNNY! Look, that monster is hiding behind those mirrors!"
                  - - Luke - -

Comment

LOL! Isn't that the truth?

Long ago, my haunt mentors did a "Candy Man" bit where he appeared in the mirror. Naturally, it was a Pepper's Ghost trick. Sadly, somehow - a customer freeked and kicked the 1/2 mirrored glass hard enough to break it. The gag was ruined for the rest of the weekend until they could get to a hardware store and replace it.

-------------

Big Hugs, Kel! If we can't find each other in the Dark Zone - Can I look for you in the Crown Plaza Lobby?
                    ------------------------
                    The child is grown, the dream is gone.
                    I have become comfortably numb.

Comment

I have a feeling I'll be spending a good deal of time at the Crown Plaza. In 2005 Larry had stickers for us to pick up at his booth so we could put them on our lapels to identify each other as HauntWorld members. Will you be doing this again Larry? Maybe we could all set a place and time for the annual "Hi my name is Kelly and I'm a HauntWorld Aholic" meeting??? See you there Scar! :wink:

Kel
                      Chris Riehl
                      Sales@spookyfinder.com
                      (586)209-6935
                      www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Originally posted by SSP
                        Very.....clean.....mirrors....

I've seen a couple times when the mirror has scuff marks on it, same with the glass on a peppers ghost, nothing kills the night more than someone thinking you're supposed to see the glass or mirrors.

"Johnny, do you see the ghost on the glass there? SCARY!"

"JOHNNY! Look, that monster is hiding behind those mirrors!"
                        how would you go about protecting your mirrors from being broken or scuffed?

Comment

Get very clean mirrors, be extremely gentle on transportation and installation. Make sure they are anchored securly, keep them out of reach of the patrons, and clean them to perfection. Actors can break them too, so just make sure whoever is working near or in that scene knows where they are, how to get in and out, and to be very gentle. Any place where there is glass should be added to the saftey section of your actors training.

You can put a barrier, such as plywood or some sort of re-enforcement, on the back side of the mirror to make sure the actor doesn't accidently kick through it. Actually you probably wouldn't want to ever mount glass in a frame by itself without a backing
                          - - Luke - -

Comment

An aquaintance of mine used plexi-glass and the mirrored film. That way, it wasn't as fragile.

Comment

upper turrso

I have one that needs a little work. I'll sell it to you for $100.00

Comment

Working...
                              X