Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having bands playing at your haunt

Hello everyone

This is another thing i have to ask is this...

Having bands playing at you haunt and does it make you money or is it just nice to have at your haunt? I have been thinking about booking one and there just a small little band but they cost almost an arm and a leg for them.

what do you guys think?
    I go for it
    50.00%
    no bands
    42.86%
    I don't kno..
    7.14%

The poll is expired.

it's ok... the dark has many faces you can't see..

We had bands every fri. and sat. Not worth it. You think if you get popular bands they will bring more people. The people that come watch the band only and do not enter the house. It also ruins the effect of having a haunted house. My opinion.

John

Comment

I agree with xtreme, more work and not enough crossover $. Most of the bands we can afford wont draw a crowd. It can work in some applications, but in general I say no.

Allen H
      www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
      http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Like anything alot of it depends on What type of event you are and how big you are. I have seen some of your more edgy type haunts do it, and it compliments thier show very nicely.

We don't push the envelope with our community and I don't trust bands to keep thier onstage vocabulary insinc with our atmosphere.

Our county fair has always had country acts, perform. For years people in our community have practically begged for a rock band. We finally got one two years ago, every other word on the mic was F*** . In spite of the band signing a contract that they would keep thier show family friendly, the profanity blasted across the fairgrounds. The kids watching the show didn't mind, but parents and grandparents on the midway were fit to be tied. Now were back to country, Thanks guys...

Another thing to consider, is that you can make all necessary arrangements and there is a good chance the band won't show. As a side gig we publish a local entertainment paper. The biggest complaint I hear from venues is that they can't count on the bands to show up. They book them, advertise for it and then Sat. night comes and no band. It happens all the time. I'm not saying that all bands are like this but there is a good chance it could happen to you.

For all of those who think that a contract is the answer, in most cases you are dealing with people who have nothing to lose, you can't get blood from a turnup.

Don't get me wrong, I love the live music scene. I jump at the chance to go see a band, I just won't do business with them.
        www.haroldshaunt.com

Comment

"My Band Could Play Here!"

Said my one employee.
          Great! Who would do your job inside the house while you were beating the drums?
          ...he hadn't thought of that.
          Bands not showing sounds like the old "Wacky-
          weed" is still out there , befuddling brain cells and feelings of responsibility.
          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Works for us!

At Graystone Manor we have a Nashville based band that becomes the Manor's house band the Corn Stalkers and our crowds love them. They do funkey, wicked instrumentals and the beats they put out gets our crowds really into the fun and experience of the haunt. I guess it all depends on each haunt in my case they add so much excitement its wild! Shane and its dancing Shane this time!
            Last edited by graystone; 07-27-2009, 08:55 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Making bands work for you

Originally posted by graystone View Post
              At Graystone Manor we have a Nashville based band that becomes the Manor's house band the Corn Stalkers and our crowds love them. They do funkey, wicked instrumentals and the beats they put out gets out crowds really into the fun and experience of the haunt. I guess it all depends on each haunt in my case they add so much excitement its wild! Shane and its dancing Shane this time!
              I absolutely LOVE this concept! This season, we're working on hiring a band to play most of our nights... in costume... in character... and even write a song or two for our attraction.
              The other half of the nights.. we try to book successful local bands. Keep your eyes open for bands who have radio station affiliations (maybe your local radio dj has a band? you can get some free plugs?) Go to the biggest rock club/ local bar with music... ask around... who draws a crowd?
              Overall... bands will not make you any money. If you are selective, they will definitely pay for themselves.
              Come up with a rock-solid contract (you can find them on the internet) don't pay anyone more than 50% up front...
              If you go with local bands (smaller garage bands) let them sell tickets for you... and they keep a cut...

hope this helps. If you have any questions... shot me an e-mail.
              Patrick@legendsofthefog.com
              Patrick Barberry
              www.legendsofthefog.com
              sigpic

Comment

ASCAP? Anyone?

Is that what it's called?
                A local bar here had to pay (according to the Judge) $7,000.oo because the fees werenot paid concerning the music royaltys.
                The band? They didn't have any money..or maybe current addresses?
                Whoops!
                hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

bands

what about if they were bands that were mainstream..such as rob zombie, manson, etc...Those are big names...yet it can be done...We have put this off until next season...or maybe two seasons lol...But were in the process of negotiating a few contracts with some well known groups...Local bands we wont mess with...not worth the time or money..save it up...and get a REAL group that WILL attract crowds...Your concert ticket...gets you into everything..haunts too!....

Just my thoughts...

Kale
                  www.midwestfearfest.net

Comment

While on this subject..

Anyone like to tell what their experience was like a few years ago when a bunch of haunts across the country hired "Insane Clown Posse?"
                    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

We are having a witch’s ball (costume party) on Halloween. There will be 4 bands playing 4 different kinds of music. From covers to metal to Goth type stuff. Also we are having some mentalists, tarot card readers, gypsy dancers, a few vendors selling stuff that witches would buy.

I'm not exactly sure how it will turn out but everyone is donating their performances to help us restore our buildings.

Of course we are charging to get into the West Virginia's Witches Ball ($15 in advance, $25 at the gate but if you bring 2 canned goods for our local food pantry you get a $10 discount).

Hopefully, everything goes off without a hitch...
                      John Jordan
                      www.TheAsylumwv.com
                      www.Trans-AlleghenyLunaticAsylum.com

Comment

If you Forget..

To hitch your horse, it will go off!
                        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

what ever your target market your aiming for is, is a great way to decide what bands or singers to bring in. If your a family event I'd stay away from the hardcore bands....
                          Frightworld America's Screampark
                          www.hauntedbuffalo.com
                          Buffalo, New York

Comment

Working...
                          X