Help Settle A Debate!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Settle A Debate!

Hello everyone! I need help settling a debate.
    My business partner and I are having a disagreement with something (not within the haunt-we have that all planned out!).
    It's in the area of marketing/advertising...
    Here's the story in a nutshell...

A haunt owner who is 16 miles away who also does a Saturday night Chiller Theater type show on the local public access station with his icon character has decided to take this year off. He *might* try and reopen in the same town as us next year but is not sure if he will or not. Well, that leaves us as the only haunt in town this year. Now I've met with him and talked online with him and he seems like a great guy who loves the business and wants to help people. Okay, here's the argument part:

He said he'd come to our haunt in character if we want him to and sell his shirts/DVD's of the show since he's somewhat of a town celebrity (small town) and do it for FREE (he said he'll miss doing the haunt this year).

He also said we can go on his show (which has a following of teens/young adults primarily-our target market) and promote our haunt...all for FREE!

Plus he'd promote himself appearing at our haunt.

Well, my business partner thinks this would ruin our reputation (no matter if it brings more people through our haunt) and that IF he does do a haunt next year he'll be more popular.

I think "Hey, we need to get people to come through our haunt and blow their minds with our haunt!"

So, we've decided to ask other haunt owners what they would do in this situation...
    Well...?

Thanks,
    Kirk
    Kirk Boemmel
    Dark Ghost Manor
    www.darkghostmanor.com

sigpic

do it!!!!!!!
    Owner of The Fear Experience Haunted House in Cleveland, Ohio, voted the #1 haunted house in Ohio, and #14 in America by Funtober. The Fear Experience Haunted House was called the premier haunted attraction in northeast ohio by cleveland.com and #1 in cleveland by metromix.

Comment

I'm no expert so I'm just giving my humble opinion.

I think you should take him up on his offer. A lot can happen between this year and next year. He may decide not to bring back his haunt next year or he may be unable to for whatever reason. I don't think it could hurt to get him to help promote your haunt this year, and your gut is telling you that you can trust the guy.

But again, this is only my opinion.

Willow

Comment

I would also recommend allowing him access, the worst that can happen is that his haunt customers will be exposed to your show.
        Allen H
        www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
        http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

I say go for it. In my opinion, there's no advertising better than free advertising (as long as you don't get it from having your haunt on the news in a crime report)!
          ~Jon-Kyle Bailey
          Campbellsville, KY

Comment

Your business partner is turning down an opportunity for free advertising, including TV? The other haunt owner may "be more popular next year", but so will you.

He's wrong on this one. Go for it...
            http://www.bigscaryshow.com
            http://www.rabidbadger.org

Comment

Definately take him up on his offer.

And don't worry about 'next' year. What people will remember is seeing him at your haunt after his closed, so a lot of them will simply expect to see him there next year--even if he re-starts his haunt.

Comment

Kirk,

I know who you are referring to and if you get the opportunity to work with him, I say do it. He's a class act all the way and a very experienced haunter and talented performer and knows his character well. His haunt is one of the best out there and he knows what he's doing, working with him sounds like a great opportunity!

Good luck,

Allan

Comment

Thats something I would'nt pass up. Any free publicity you can get is great. And if you can build a true friendship so what if he opens a haunt. You will be able to co-promote with each other. Thats something I have never been able to find in this area. Another haunt I could trust to co-promote with me without stabbing me in the back. Wait I take that back 1 haunt called 13 Houses co-promoted with me and was cool. Wait I just thought of another Greg at Fear Fest has as well. Both are great guys. Hell you all know Greg. LOL!
                  Damon
                  Last edited by damon carson; 07-29-2009, 09:19 AM.
                  Damon Carson

Comment

You've gotten a lot of go for it's. I don't think you have gotten one that says not to... Now you do.

Zack
                    INSANITY SCREAM PARK

Comment

I would do it if I was you.
                      ~Bill Mlinac
                      The Deadland Haunted House
                      www.facebook.com/Deadlandhauntedhouse
                      www.Thedeadland.comsigpic

Comment

Thanks for the advice so far everyone!
                        Funny thing is, he even mentioned that he wanted to flyer swap last year (as did we, but never asked him) but his ex-business partner said "Nope, they're competition."
                        They are no longer business partners so he even said "Next year, if I start a haunt again, we should do a 'fun rivalry that co-promotes together'"
                        MDKing-You know who I mean? Wow, cool!
                        shredman-So you say no? Just a question...why? (Not arguing just want to know if you had a bad experience or what so I understand a bit more...)

Thanks again! Anyone else? Shane? Kel?

Kirk
                        Kirk Boemmel
                        Dark Ghost Manor
                        www.darkghostmanor.com

sigpic

Comment

Sorry to chime in late here. Still trying to catch up from our trip. I think it's an excellent opportunity to develop a great working relationship. I always maintain the belief that people who will attend one attraction will typically do the circuit. If this person and his haunt has an excellent reputation in the area, his endorsement by affiliation could be a true gift! ; )

Kel
                          sigpic
                          Kelly Allen
                          Raycliff Manor Haunted Attraction
                          www.RaycliffManor.com
                          www.Facebook.com/RaycliffManor
                          www.HauntBook.com

Comment

Wow, Kel, that was quick!
                            That's what I'm trying to get across is that we can help each other out.
                            If he reopens next year we'll cross promote and we both win!
                            I did talk to a lot of guys I work with (day job) and some own their own side businesses...everyone said we'd be dumb to pass it up.
                            Soooooooooo...we'll see!

Kirk
                            Kirk Boemmel
                            Dark Ghost Manor
                            www.darkghostmanor.com

sigpic

Comment

I'm a bridge builder.
                              I say have him promote in front of your haunt, let him see the class act you have going, build a rapore with him. Then when next year rolls around he will remember you (or you can remind him beofre then) and he may want to incorporate your operation into his plans.
                              Growth is a good thing and 2 haunts would be better than one.

You may want to predicate this years promotion with plans for next year.

Comment

Working...
                              X