No announcement yet.

Help Settle A Debate!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

its a no brainer doi it. Wost case is you add more customers and a create a better fan base.
    I'm only doing this to impress 2 people ... The fire marshal and the customer that's it !!!

Comment

Exactly my line of thought.
      I was writing up a pros/cons and I get WAY more pros. (Maybe one con and that's only being fair to what my business partner brought up which I don't agree with).

Kirk
      Kirk Boemmel
      Dark Ghost Manor
      www.darkghostmanor.com

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Badger View Post
        Your business partner is turning down an opportunity for free advertising, including TV? The other haunt owner may "be more popular next year", but so will you.

He's wrong on this one. Go for it...
        This is exactly what I was gonn say.
        Brad Bowen
        Owner/Operator of the Ultimate Fear Haunted House in Shreveport, LA
        www.ultimatefear.net

Comment

Looks like you won the debate!! Definitely do not pass this up! It will help your reputation, NOT damage it....
          Chip "Pigman" DeLong
          Scared to the Bone Productions
          Pigman's Lair Haunted Attraction
          Chelsea/Ann Arbor MI
          www.pigmanslair.com

Comment

Yeah Kirk, I'm surprised more people don't know who it is but again I say go for I know I would!

Allan

Comment

So who's the "other guy"? The only name I can think of in that part of of PA is Castle Blood and I know its not them....

Comment

skullman-You're right...it's not Castle Blood.
                I don't really want to bring names into it. Just want the advice.
                Sorry if it sounds stupid.

Kirk
                Kirk Boemmel
                Dark Ghost Manor
                www.darkghostmanor.com

sigpic

Comment

Hi all!
                  I've been getting a bunch of private messages asking who it is and guesses.
                  Truly, it's a small town celebrity (if you can call it that...) so I don't think anyone would know.
                  I just wanted to see what you'd do in *my* situation.
                  Thanks all for the advice. I'll keep you updated.

Kirk
                  Kirk Boemmel
                  Dark Ghost Manor
                  www.darkghostmanor.com

sigpic

Comment

The Problems, Ego and Credit.

Will you or your partner have a problem if some" brand confusion " happens as a result of buddying up with the known "celebrity"?
                    Sort of like in the 1960's when Ford was going to buy Ferrarri and Ford backed out because they figured when the race car lost it would be because it was a "Ford", everytime it won it would be because it was a Ferrarri!
                    The local Chamber of Commerce here ignored a few early requests from me for a small amount of help with some advertising and several of the main movers and shakers there hated what I was trying to do here...yet after I had large successes those same people wanted to tell me how I could not have done it without THEM!!!??
                    Shed the blame, run in to scoop up the credit.
                    Don't invest any time, effort or money, yet claim it all worked out because they were there (when they weren't)
                    I agree with all of the very positive posts here telling you to proceed with the celebrity helping promote you, just inventory your personalitys as far as this ego/thing goes.
                    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Originally posted by Darkblood View Post
                      ...Well, my business partner thinks this would ruin our reputation (no matter if it brings more people through our haunt) and that IF he does do a haunt next year he'll be more popular...
                      This is what I'm seeing that you are saying is the only downside to working with this person. I honestly don't understand. How does your business partner think this person's help will ruin your reputation?

I think that what your business partner is saying is a contradiction in itself. If he thinks that working with you will make the guy more popular, then I don't think that he really believes that his help will ruin your reputation. I think he's more afraid that his possible leaving you after a year will mean that you will lose customers next year that you gain this year as a result of the guy's help. I think he's very wrong about this. Even if you lose SOME of those additional customers, you will have an overall gain in customers because some should return the following year.

I think you have to convince your business partner this is a win-win situation and you should do it now. Who cares whether the guy is more popular the next year? He could go somewhere else now and become more popular too. You should jump on this opportunity now while you still have the chance.

BarbieHaunt
                      Friends Sold Separately
                      (You Too Can Be Sold -
                      Just Join Our Friends List!
                      Obviously Kidding About Being Sold)

Actually, as explained previously in a thread we started, the silly name BarbieHaunt has absolutely nothing to do with Barbie dolls but was our private joke name because before the haunt's pink and blue styrofoam walls are hard coated and painted, it reminds us of a Barbie Dream Haunt.

Comment

UPDATE 8-1-09

Well, the debate is over.
                        Thanks for all your input. My business partner is hardheaded and we worked on the haunt last night (didn't talk about the previous issue) and today he called said that he had spoken with his brother (who's a businessman) and thinks it's okay to go on the show but not have him at our haunt. He's afraid he'll steal our actors/ideas. Anyway, we're getting things lined up to go down and talk with him and discuss the show interview, etc.
                        I think once he meets the guy he'll be a bit more into all the promotion we can get. I've met him and he is an awesome guy/haunter with a passion for it.

Thanks again!

Kirk
                        Kirk Boemmel
                        Dark Ghost Manor
                        www.darkghostmanor.com

sigpic

Comment

To steal your ideas all he would have to do is buy a ticket so that's not really a valid argument.

As far as cross-promotion there are many haunts who do that with other attractions that are much closer. The comparison that has been made is movies. It used to be that there might be one or two big movies coming out a week, and you had to decide which one you would watch, and even whether you would go this weekend or next when you would have even more choices. Now everybody just goes to all of them. Same thing with haunts. No one is sitting home thinking should we go to this one or that one - they are trying to figure out a way to afford both.

Something else to think about is that as time progresses he may decide not to reopen his haunt at all and by then you would have built up yours more with his help and may develop a loyal permanent actor.
                          Last edited by shawnc; 08-02-2009, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Yep!
                            It's all good now and we're moving on with the season!
                            Should be a great one...we got lots of promotion in the works and our site up and building is rocking on!
                            Can't wait to get back to building! lol

Kirk
                            Kirk Boemmel
                            Dark Ghost Manor
                            www.darkghostmanor.com

sigpic

Comment

Speaking as a haunt owner AND a TV horror host ( 85 markets on the RTV network now, not local public access..okay, I'm on that too...)

I woulda thought this was a good deal for you.

mostly because it is always nice to be able to play nice with other haunts.
                              you spend the season with this guy, have meals together, grow a relationship, and even if he opens again in the future, he is now a buddy, and could be a great asset. 2 haunt combo tickets and all that. which of course means he automatically pimps YOUR place on his show.
                              and the toughest part about having a show, is getting good content, and having more than one haunt to shoot in, would be a great thing for him.

so you both benefit.

I suggest in general, NEVER be afraid to let people see your show. if you don't let them in as friends, they will find a way to come in as adversarys. please trust me on that.
                              100 acre manor, Foggy Bottom Fright Fest, Scare House, and Kenny wood, are always welcome here with free passes ( gotten thru thier owners, don't try to show up on your own and SAY you are with them LOL)

best of luck to all. no matter how it ends up. and as an aside, please remember that our show is always available to haunts to use as line entertainment, rights free. just buy the dvds, and have fun.

especially if we are on in your market already.
                              Gravely MacCabre
                              aka Ricky Dick
                              Castle Blood Haunted Adventure Tour
                              and
                              Midnight Monster Hop
                              Horror Host Show

Beallsville, PA 15313
                              www.castleblood.com
                              www.midnightmonsterhop.com
                              www.myspace.com/midnightmonsterhop.com

Media Director for National Halloween Convention

http://www.halloweenshow.com
                              Lifetime achievement award winner
                              International Costumers Guild

Comment

Good points, which brings up another one: It's always nice to be on good terms with a similar business nearby. Wouldn't it be great to call him up on October 15 if you run out of makeup or a part or something and need to borrow one? Do you really want to try and rush order something from a haunt vendor in the middle of October?

Comment

Working...
                                X