Trouble with the City!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble with the City!

Well, we went down to city a few days ago to review our plans with the Building and Fire Inspection Departments...

They had no problem with the actual layout or building. But we came back to them now to get offical approval, and apparently need a 'licensed design professional' to sign off on it. And we can't find anyone willing to sign off on the layout and put themselfs liable. We have already argued the fact that this is 'temporary' and had no luck. I think the city department here just hasn't ever seen a commercial haunt in the past, and just doesn't have experience with this type of event...

But, we are now sitting with a paid for location and a pre-fabbed haunt, but cannot get approval from the city to begin building.

Has anyone had to deal with anything like this in the past? Any advice?
    Jordan Renda
    www.NightTerrorsHauntedHouse.com

Yes.

You need to find an Architect. If you are lucky they can draw or use the existing building drawings and drop in your plan, if you have a good CAD design.

Worst case you are going to have to pay them to redraw the whole thing.

It is common if not standard to require an Architect to draw your plan, and put in all the things building and fire require.

Most importantly they need to stamp it...

I guess in some areas you can escape this, but is most places it is just the way it is.

By all means try to get a pass but don't count on it.

It could cost a few 1000, but the time it takes is what is really going to get you this time of year.

Good Luck!
    Ben Armstrong
    NETHERWORLD HAUNTED HOUSE
    www.Fearworld.com
    www.NetherworldNetwork.com

Comment

just get architect to reproduce them. not too costly, but better than not opening
      Owner of The Fear Experience Haunted House in Cleveland, Ohio, voted the #1 haunted house in Ohio, and #14 in America by Funtober. The Fear Experience Haunted House was called the premier haunted attraction in northeast ohio by cleveland.com and #1 in cleveland by metromix.

Comment

I feel your pain!

Been there done that. This is a common surprise! When I started I had already spent over $100,000.00 when I found out I needed the same thing. I lived through it and you will too. Good Luck and find you an architect it will cost ya but in the long run you will be glad you did. Shane and its think positive! Shane this time.
        sigpic

Comment

You should not have that difficult a time. Things are tough in the construction industry, so you should be able to find someone cheap. Don't go to the listings in yellow pages, go talk to some contractors. They all know a few one man architect operations that help them deal with the small simple jobs where a stamp is required. Your local blue print / reproduction shop will probably have some cards and names also.

I'm an architect, so it made the city process very smooth, but a lot of us small operations are hurting. A quick easy job like yours for a couple grand, someone will jump on it.
          Randy Russom

www.midstatescare.com
          Mid State Scare - San Luis Obispo and Santa Maria's favorite Haunted House
          2013 - Hmmm, we shall see what gets conjured up

Comment

Isn't there an architect in the industry who does this for hauters? If not, Why not?......Seems like a service that HHA or IAHA could provide or help people find.

Comment

Hard to cover nation wide. Each state has a seperate license. I'll do Calif.
              Randy Russom

www.midstatescare.com
              Mid State Scare - San Luis Obispo and Santa Maria's favorite Haunted House
              2013 - Hmmm, we shall see what gets conjured up

Comment

just a small point so u dont make mistake number 2 (as i did).we installed our own fire system 20 days before we opened on year one.couldnt find anyone to inspect it because they didnt install it.we ended up having to tear it all down and let a company do it so they would tag it each year

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Tryed to apply for a variance with the city, but they just wouldn't budge.

Still searching unfortunately...

Anyone who knows of a 'licensed design professional' in Florida, please give me a call. (904)-962-6062

Thanks!
                  Jordan Renda
                  www.NightTerrorsHauntedHouse.com

Comment

Working...
                  X