UV Paint Question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UV Paint Question?

I'm looking to add a castle wall to my 3-D haunt. Now I have done plenty of regular castle walls, but am thinking that doing it in uv 3-d is going to be quite different. Has anyone done this, and have any tips, tricks, photos? What is the best color to use, whats the best way to add highlight and shadow, cracks etc. If anyone has any photos or a link to a photo it would be helpfull, I cant find anything!
    Thanks,
    Justin
    The secret of life is to appreciate the pleasure of being terribly, terribly deceived.

Justin,
    color has nothing to do with what color something should be, it is all about how far the object is away from the viewer. basically orange is the closest to you and blue is the furthest away. Ig you can get John Burton's book its the best one on the subject. If you have specific questions email me then I will send you my #, I did a ton of 3D painting last year.
    Allen H
    www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Allen,

I actually bought John Burton's book and while close, red is actually the color that pops out the most at people. Then orange, yellow, green and blue.

If you think of a color wheel red pops out the most, orange the second most, then yellow, green and blue pops the least. From what I read in the book, the things you want to pop out the furthest should be red, then go into your oranges and yellows. The things you want to pop the least should be in green and blue.

Of course I've seen some places that ignore this rule and just paint using UV paints and blacklights and while it still pops out, I think it's a better rule to stick to the 3D color chart to create something that's more effective.

Comment

There I disagree a bit, of the reds and Oranges I painted with, Orange leaps out much further than red. I know the book says otherwise but I have found orange to pop the furthest. Paint brands may make a difference, I use the UV paints from Rosco.
        The traditional color wheel does not have "florescent" colors on it If it did, floescent orange wold "pop" the most which is why its used on safty vests and road cones.
        Allen H
        Last edited by Allen H; 08-10-2009, 04:10 PM.
        www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
        http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

one question. are you planning on using the Chromadepth glasses with this? Just checking..
          when you paint the bricks in your wall you will have to think of it in terms of the depth of each color. one thing i have found is if you want it to really have a huge depth have colors that are far apart on the spectrum next to each other. like below we have the orange/red letters on top of blue. man did those things pop out!! the blood spatter on the wall did too. in the other pic the tubes/pipes really jumped out. at least it give you an idea on depth.
          P.S. these pic still work on the PC if you look at them with ChromaDepth glasses.
          Attached Files
          www.kellymanor.com - - - - - - - - www.myspace.com/kellymanor

Comment

Allen,

Perhaps in fluorescent paints that may be the case. I'm just going by what the book said and what I've seen first hand at haunts I've worked at. With regular paints red seemed to be the color that popped the most. In fluorescent paints I think the red has more of a pink-ish tint to it (correct me if I'm wrong) and in that case I can see where it wouldn't pop as much as the orange. I'll go with you on different brands possibly having different effects as well.

On a side note if you have any pictures of the work you did last year I'd love to see them. Mentioning traffic cones painted for 3D piqued my interest.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips. I ended up going with blue on the bricks, and used the orange and red to airbrush faces and demons coming out of holes in the bricks. I wanted the faces to pop out more than the bricks did. Came out pretty good, I'll post some pics when I get a chance.
              Thanks again!
              The secret of life is to appreciate the pleasure of being terribly, terribly deceived.

Comment

Working...
              X