Heat sensors vrs Smoke detectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat sensors vrs Smoke detectors

Some one had posted a question earlier about fog machines and smoke detectors and someone suggested heat sensors. Does anyone know off hand if heat sensors aer ok in a haunt, or do you have to have smoke detectors?
    www.atheateroflostsouls.com Or if you need makeup or supplies www.abramagic.com

"I am a frickin evil genius who deserves some frickin respect!"

I have been researching that question myself. In my state, heat detectors are not classified as 'life safety devices'. They are 'property protection devices'. They can be combined with smoke detectors when used in limited areas such as a restaurant kitchen. Of course, there is no specific code on haunted houses, so I am waiting for a ruling from my fire marshal.

The principle drawback to the heat detectors are that they are not available (that I have been able to locate) in a version that can simply be interconnected by a single wire like smoke detectors. They are only usable as part of a complete panel system. In my state, and I assume most others, smoke detectors must be interconnected in such a fashion that if one goes off they all do.
    Brett Hays, Director
    Fear Fair
    www.fearfair.com

Comment

BOCA codes allow for use of a heat detector where special effect smoke could trigger a smoke detector. There is no known smoke device that I know of that won't activate if you use fog. Remember fog rises, and rises right into the smoke detector.

You should ALWAYS try and use heat detectors...they work just as good, they basically do the same job.

Larry
      Larry Kirchner
      President
      www.HalloweenProductions.com
      www.BlacklightAttractions.com
      www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
      www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

I just wish one standard could be applied fairly across the country.

BOCA codes are well and good. But we all know that our local fire marshal's and fire chief's have their own set of rules. I know they would never let me know have all heat detectors. I have tried to educate them on BOCA in the past, but it's pretty much the wild west around these parts and they are the law.

Have those of you using heat detectors in unheated buildings had any problems with false alarms. I know they are 'rate of rise' but it always seems our building goes from seeing your breath to sweating within an hour when we open just from body heat, etc.

Does anyone have a reliable source for used panel type fire systems other than eBay?
        Brett Hays, Director
        Fear Fair
        www.fearfair.com

Comment

Working...
        X