No announcement yet.

how did you start your haunt??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, I'll lay it all out for you from our perspective.
    We started small. We had years and years of acting experience for the local Lions Club haunt.
    We bought their stuff for cheap when they gave it up and stored it.
    Well, 2 years ago we were able to find a Fire Dept. that let us use their pavilion (1500 sq. ft. about). We dealt with the weather and 'roof' blowing off in places and reattaching it. But it worked. We were able to get volunteers and insurance and all that and spend less than 2,000 dollars! I know...shocking.
    But we had an okay turnout that actually made more than we spent and we put that aside for last year. We found a building that the owner worked off a percent of the door and here we are in year 3. Going to be our best year yet...since last year we did over 400 percent the first year for more money per person. Since our location is just under 5,000 sq. ft.
    Still no animatronics or expensive props...although we did buy Claustrophobia for this year!
    There you have it!

Kirk
    Kirk Boemmel
    Dark Ghost Manor
    www.darkghostmanor.com

sigpic

Comment

I started as a garage haunter 9 years ago. Little by little I built up my props, more volunteers and experience doing all the other stuff required to run a haunt. I am still learning and by no means any kind of expert. After a few years in the garage we moved into a "barn" with a field next door for parking.
      You can find others in your area to help by posting in the news paper. Try calling your local news paper to see if they have a "community focus" type section. Its like a "whats going on this month" list that is free. Usually they list bingo games and volunteer fire department fund raiser and the likes.

tell them to post something like:
      new local haunt is looking for others who love Halloween and Haunted Houses and is hosting a hot dog cook out for those who would like to come see what its all about and help out.

Also if you do get to start small, build your wall panels in modular sections so that you can move from one building to the next very easily. lease on a building year round will kill your profits. you could even do the tent in the parking lot gig. Leonard Pickles Mayhem Manor is a great example.

sorry, I'm rambing... what were we talking about?
      www.kellymanor.com - - - - - - - - www.myspace.com/kellymanor

Comment

The beginning.

My haunt started in 1987. I was 12 and too old to trick or treat so I made a small scene in my parents yard. Every year I added something new until 2003. My sister helped recruit a few people and along with my friends we experimented. We did not charge admission, but asked for donations. This was what we called the experiment. In only a three days we had over 100 guests. It was not huge, but it was enough.

The business.

After the experiment and 5,000.00 out of pocket expenses, the haunt became a business. Our main attraction is a 2,800 square foot maze. It is the beginning of the trail (built on my folks' farm) and is made of 2x4s and pallets. Creativity is more important than money. We get free mulch from the company that does tree trimming in the area. My actors all work for the love of the season, and Mom cooks dinner for everyone. Last year as I was working late into the night, my girlfriend walked over to me and asked,

"Do you ever wonder if anyone that visits realizes it's just you, a few pieces of scrap wood, some friends, and a dream?"

The truth is, it is the dream. That is what keeps us going, all of us. It is just the dream.
        . . . Experience the Agony

Comment

What are people's average operating costs (including insurance, advertising, actors, etc)?
          - Jordan

Comment

Originally posted by phrase View Post
            We get free mulch from the company that does tree trimming in the area.

Someone has to ask: What do you do with the mulch?

Comment

We have a trail haunt that begins with our large maze, winds through a large woodlot of several acres and ends with another maze. The trail is about 1/3 of a mile and tends to shift from year to year. Every year we need mulch for the new trail.
              . . . Experience the Agony

Comment

Working...
              X