HVAC Required?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HVAC Required?

Well, one amongst many problems we're curently having with the building department here is the requirement of HVAC air conditioning.

In our current space (this is the second one so far this year) the electrical has not been turned on for a year now, so we're having an inspector come out to pull a saftey permit to turn on all electrical.

But, in the event that our air conditioner is not opperating, we are told we cannot open. Is this a common thing for a temporary special amusement building? I don't understand why this couldn't be worked around with portable AC units and fans for ventalation when the building is compliant with everything else? The building meets all other standards, ADA accessible, 2 bathrooms, water fountain, and 5 swinging exit doors, just no guarantees on the HVAC.

Any advice would greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Jordan Renda
    www.NightTerrorsHauntedHouse.com

HVAC problem

It seems a bit strange that they wouldnt let you open without AC. However, I dont know how big a building you have or how it is layed out and what kind of HVAC system is in the building, but all comercial buildings forced air systems will have smoke detectors in the duct and there will be smoke dampers installed inside of the ductwork where ever the duct penatrates a fire wall (could also be where duct goes through the floor or ceiling).

If this is a more modern type of system, those dampers may be controlled electrically. The older systems were tipically pneumatic. If your HVAC system is nonfunctional, there will be no power to close down fire dampers in thee event of a fire.

I would have them specify exactlly what the concern is so you know how to handle the problem and make the inspectors happy.

Kelly
    www.hauntyourhouse.net
    Last edited by Kelly Anderson; 08-07-2009, 04:23 PM.
    Kelly Anderson
    Owner- Halloween Undercroft
    http://www.halloweenundercroft.com/
    Owner- Haunt Your House llc

Comment

I would have to call bullshit on that..

Comment

So is AC required in all Florida businesses, I can't imagine that it is. Maybe so though.

These seems odd from us living up north, but maybe its true

Comment

Yeah... right.

Of course the city can do whatever they want but I would fight this.
          It's a completely ridiculous requirement. I live in Florida so I know it's seriously hot in the summer (like now!). But in October it drops down to 65 low to 84 high.

And it's not like your patrons are working there all day long... they will be there for a couple of hours max... right?
          www.frightprops.com

[FrightProps Blog]
          [Google+] [YouTube]
          [Facebook] [Twitter] [Tumblr] [Pinterest]

sigpic

Comment

I can see a concern as long as its a ventilation issue for the sake of the detection system. As long as the blowers work and can circulate air they may not require it be cold. Fyi the sensors in the vents are what usually set off if a fogger is used in doors. If you plan on using indoor fog and are running the ac system you might check with fire on that as well. (IT WILL TRIGGER A FALSE ALARM)
            I'm only doing this to impress 2 people ... The fire marshal and the customer that's it !!!

Comment

The only fire rated walls in this space are on either side of the space, there are none within the lease space, thus no need for dampers. But the type of HVAC system in here is simply 4 or 5 RTUs so there is practically no ductwork since the overhead roof structure is exposed. There is a single vertical supply and return connected to each RTU.

But I believe this is a non-issue now since it was confirmed that the HVAC system does indeed work, but thank you all for the responses.
              Nate Mitchell|creative consultant
              [n8 creative studios]

Comment

Working...
              X