Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Phone Info Line! What do you guys use? Heres what I use..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phone Info Line! What do you guys use? Heres what I use..

Just curious what you guys do for having an info phone line for your haunt. and how much does it cost you? I figured I would share what I have done. It is super professional sounding and cost next to nothing compared to most other options.
    I use VoIP. First I want to say this is not your regular Vonage or Skype stuff. I have a high speed internet line, an old PC (1GHz), a few pieces of software (free), and an account with a VoIP provider. (I use link2voip.com).
    it cost me $2.49 per month plus 1.1¢/minute. Unlimited inbound channels. Plus my internet connection. you guys can call it to see what you think. 214-615-8592. there are menu options that give dates, directions, prices or "press 4 to speak with one of out ghosts"

Trixbox is the name of the phone or IP-PBX software I use. You can buy a real physical phone like I do to connect to it through your network or just use whats called a soft phone on a PC. It really is very easy to setup.
    Here is a youtube video that walks you through basic setup steps.
    I know this is just basic info but if there is more interest I may write up a how-to.

The phone I use has a network connection on it. It is a Polycom SoundPoint IP 500. or you can use a softphone like Xlite - http://www.counterpath.net/x-lite.html&active=4
    Attached Files
    I use trixbox too!
    10.00%
    1 line with an answering machine
    30.00%
    big PBX system like a Nortel
    10.00%
    I pay the phone company to do mine
    0.00%
    We dont have any phone line at at
    50.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by lerandell; 08-13-2009, 07:07 PM.
    www.kellymanor.com - - - - - - - - www.myspace.com/kellymanor

surely there is a simpler way of doing this?

I just called...GREAT system though!!!! Who did your "Ghost Host" Voice Over?
    Last edited by freak 'n' stein; 08-13-2009, 09:51 PM.
    O'Shawn McClendon
    Creative Chair -- Operator: Cayce-West Columbia Hall of Horrors

One mans junk is another mans kick-ass new prop...

http://www.hallofhorrors.com

http://twitter.com/hallofhorrors

http://cwchallofhorrors.blogspot.com

http://www.youtube.com/hallofhorrors

http://www.myspace.com/cwcjc_hallofhorrors

Comment

Im sure there is. but I bet it would be hard to find it this cheap. I very well could be wrong though. Thats the main reason I wanted to see what everyone else was doing.
      I know a lot of us haunters are the do it yourself kind to save a few bucks.

someone else on here posted about google coming out with some kind of voice phone service. but its not out yet.

Comment

Originally posted by freak 'n' stein View Post
        surely there is a simpler way of doing this?

I just called...GREAT system though!!!! Who did your "Ghost Host" Voice Over?
        LOL.. Thanks! thats actually me doing the voice. I thought it sucked.. I sound like the crypt keeper..
        I ended up coming up with that higher pitched voice because it comes through better on a cell phone. When I did a lower creepy voice you couldn't understand it. we get most of our call while we are actually open and people are wanting to know if we are open and to get directions. We are way out in the boonies where its creepy.. pressing 4 actually does a group ring and anyone from the ticket booth to inside the haunt can answer the call.

Comment

I would kill to be able to do VoIP, something like Asterix, but alas we're off the beaten path. The best I can get (which we have) is 1500/384 ADSL. We had 768k SDSL, but had connectivity issues due to the distance from the CO. If memory serves, we're 25k feet. We simply don't have the bandwidth available to handle multichannel VoIP

I contacted the local cable company (Comcrap) 3 or 4 years ago. The mile of build out that would have been required was something like 5 grand. We only got lit up in the local area about two year ago with FIOS and same deal, no dice on a build out. We're located within the confines of a county park, no residential. We're lucky to have POTS copper to the building I guess.
          -Brandon Kelm
          Operations Manager & Technical Director

sigpic

Comment

you guys dont have any fixed wireless in the area? That is actually what I am on. http://skybeam.com/
            I get really strong speeds because we are about 3 miles from the water tower where the backbone node is. I know these speed wouldnt hold up to huge amounts of traffic like 30 callers at once, but we will up grade the speeds later if we start maxing it out.

Comment

Negative. We don't have jack for high speed wireless in Pittsburgh, short of Rev A EVDO via Sprint or Verizon. I can hope and pray Sprint goes live with 4G by next season

My house is only 4500 feet line of sight from the haunt, but unfortunately this is Pittsburgh and as such, we have huge terrain variances. I would have to erect a tower at minimum 60 feet tall, thought I would be willing to bet taller to get over the small mountain that's between us if I wanted to do a point-to-point connection to my house, which would be absolutely sweet, then I could take advantage of FIOS. Maybe I'll find out who owns the new, massive flag pole they just put up a few hundred feet from my house. A pair of panels on that and I'm set
              -Brandon Kelm
              Operations Manager & Technical Director

sigpic

Comment

As Long As I Don't Have To...

Hey LP-1! As long as you will take care of recording the voice message I am down for whatever! Gawd I hated recording that lol. See yah tomorrow bro! Best of luck with getting a new phone solution for our haunt!
                www.HundredAcresManor.com

Comment

I Have Fun!

Putting a new message on my answering machine every day, but then I'm open every night & Sat. & Sun. afternoons.
                  Customers sometimes complain, message is too long, but if I leave something out they complain too!
                  The idiot level of some customers circumvent and usefullness of any message concerning anything though. Money spent on technology will not help this. hahahaha!
                  Little, bitty Mount Carroll, Ill. has had high-speed dsl for 9? years! This helped my Wife decide to be here, they didn't have dsl in the Chicago burb she's from!
                  Several map services still keep telling people we are located 4 blocks south of here, which sends them down a "Cow Path" on a side hill..makes their quest "interesting".
                  Many eons ago when The Chicago Tribune first gave me "ink" I wore out an answering machine in one weekend! The phone didnot stop ringing for three days!
                  hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Working...
                  X