Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there restrictions on carpet in a haunt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there restrictions on carpet in a haunt?

Fellow haunters,
    I have noticed that a lot of you suggest using carpet under the wall panels to make them more sturdy. What are the restrictions for the type of carpet you use? Do you buy flame retardant carpet, or do you treat it yourself?

One option I am looking at for my haunt in 2010 is a large tent on 6 acres of land (unpaved) and I am wondering if putting down carpet there would be a good option. I have come across about 15 large rolls of dark blue carpet for free (from a convention), and I want to know if I should pick it up and put into storage for next year's haunt, or pass on it because it can't be used. Please give me your opinions, because I will have to pick it up this weekend, or it will be thrown away.

As always, I appreciate your feedback.
    Dewayne
    Dewayne Anglin

Director of Operations
    Sleepy Hollow Productions, LLC/ Folklore Haunted House
    www.folklorehauntedhouse.com

sigpic

If you can store it, do so. I will keep anything I know I have a need for I used to be ridiculous about it, but now I store only what I know I will use next year. Carpet has tons of uses so I would hang on to it. If it is less than 15 years old then Im sure it is flame retardant to a degree. But I always douse all fabric/textiles in my show just to be sure.
    Allen H
    www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

I'd go for it. I've also heard of haunts using carpet to help with the dust from gravel .
      Zach Wiechmann
      www.frontyardfright.com

Comment

I believe all newer residential and commercial carpets are flame retardant as a requirement, but be easy enough to add some No Burn or other retardant to it. We use rugs and such to give many of our sets a real old mansion feel and have had no problems with fire code. I would think carpets used at a convention center would already be fire retardant, I would get it and store it for use.
        sigpic

Comment

Using carpet

Guys,
          Thanks for the advice. Keeping the dust down was one of the main reasons I was planning to use it.
          I am definately picking up the free carpet and putting it in storage. We also picked up about 10 free wall panels from a convention display, including some that can be used to make some cool archways. My prop builder grabbed several rolls of carpet padding to use as filler for his body forms before he covers them in latex. Man,,, I love free stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You really can't get enough when you are doing a haunt. The only problem is, if you are pack rat like me, you run out of room to store the crap!
          Dewayne Anglin

Director of Operations

sigpic

Comment

Check The Carpet.

A man locally carpeted his new hotel with cheap stuff that was thrown out by General Motors. He carpeted his hallways, all three floors and decided it looked nice to run the same carpet up the walls a foot.
            A small piece was later tested via a flame and it burnt real fast!
            Even after this his inspector only made him remove it from the walls!?
            Imagine having this in your car, a cigarette falls and ....there was a reason GM got rid of it.
            Another carpet story: Some people had extended bouts of family sickness after building their new house, the furnace got blamed, it was replaced, still everyone was sickly. Eventually it was discovered that the new carpet was manufactured by a novice who thought putting alot of embalming fluid in the formula would make it a superior product, which had been banned many years previously.
            I wasn't the furnace guy who changed a new furnace for nothing but this is how I heard about it, being in the heating business at the time.
            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Carpet

Jim- I always love your stories and "words of wisdom".

I picked up the carpet today, and put it into storage. It was 9 rolls, each is 12X16 or larger, and deep royal blue. My haunt for 2010 will either be in a tent located on 6 acres, or in an 18,000 square foot "Fred's" store. Whichever I use, the carpet will come in handy.
              Thanks to all for the advice!
              Dewayne
              Dewayne Anglin

Director of Operations

sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X