Question Balloons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question Balloons

I am doing a balloon filled room before you enter into a clown scene. A concern was expressed about using latex balloons if someone is allergic to them. Thought about beach balls as an alternative, but I think the likely hood of an injury could occur more with beach balls than with balloons.

I figured balloons wouldn’t trip anyone because they would pop where balls could be hazard of tripping/falls. Balloons shouldn’t hurt you if you get hit with one if a customer smacks at them but a beach ball could depending on the force of it.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

There are non-latex balloon options that are made of plastic instead. They tend to cost a bit more, but that would remove the allergy issue.
    Katie Lane
    Partner/VP
    Raven's Wolf Art Productions (www.ravens-wolf.com)
    sigpic

Bansheette Morningstar (www.bansheette.com)

Comment

Turn the balloons inside out before you inflate them. cornstarch is used as a lubricant and to keep them from sticking together. The cornstarch becomes airborne and agitates the lungs of people allergic to latex as it absorbs latex particles before becoming airborne. That is why they use nitrile gloves now as opposed to latex in surgery.
      turning the balloon inside out will eliminate the chance of alot of the cornstarch being released into the air.
      Allen H
      www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
      http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Thanks for the response. We did look into the plastic balloons but found beach balls were cheaper. I figured the number of balloons popped in a night could break the bank on the "cheap and easy" hallway.

Thanks again!!

Comment

With the amount of latex used in masks and props, I think trying to create a latex free haunted house would be almost impossible.

Use the cheap balloons.

Comment

We used beach balls in ours when we did a clown scene. We tied them from the ceiling using string out of reach of the customers unless they jumped up to hit them. We painted them red silver and blue and put a mirror ball in the room. It worked pretty well and we didnt have to worry about anyone tripping on them.
            Greg
            Fearfest
            Greg Allen
            scarygreg@andersonfarms.com
            www.andersonfarms.com

Comment

Erebus (in Michigan) had a room that filled with ping pong balls, and it was awesome. You walked into a small, dead-end room, then the door sealed behind you. Suddenly the room filled with ping pong balls. It filled up to a depth over the head of average sized people (I'm 6'6", so it didn't get above my head), then the balls suddenly "drained" away, and the door opened to allow us on our way. Not sure how they did it exactly, but it was a great effect!

Comment

How about adding a "latex balloon" warning on your signage that communicates strobes in use, not recommended for pregnant women, those with heart conditions, etc...
                Chip "Pigman" DeLong
                Scared to the Bone Productions
                Pigman's Lair Haunted Attraction
                Chelsea/Ann Arbor MI
                www.pigmanslair.com

Comment

After looking around, I am simply adding it to my disclosure that latex is used and you will come in contact with it. It's in the middle of a maze so difficult to put a passage around it where it is located. It is such a small area that I am hopefully we don't run into trouble.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Comment

Working...
                  X