Legends of the Fog - Facade build Part 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legends of the Fog - Facade build Part 1

I wanted to share our new facade that we're putting together here at LOTF. This sign has had more than 8 contributors assisting me to put this together... all starting with the guys at Brainstorm Studios for hooking us up with sweet artwork, a little imagination, and a lot of hard work. Probably about 80+ man hours wrapped up in this sign.
    I am considering making more of these, if anyone might be interested in one for 2010, let me know.

The cut out design on the ground
    After the first coat of Black and the first layer of tape
    Three colors to the marbleized paint for the letter's center
    Final product... After 5 colors of automotive paint and 6 coats of clear. We're ready to move on to mounting by labor day. The final sign dimensions are 14' wide by 6' tall. It was originally designed to be hung in three sections, but we can hang it a little easier as one... more pics to follow
    Patrick Barberry
    www.legendsofthefog.com
    sigpic

Very very nice! What are the letters made of?
    I can't wait to see the finished product!
    Zach Wiechmann
    www.frontyardfright.com

Comment

Very Cool!

Peter T
      FS
      Fables Studios
      Your Home For Horror

www.FablesStudios.com
      https://www.facebook.com/FablesStudios

Comment

Facade build part 1

Originally posted by Front Yard Fright View Post
        Very very nice! What are the letters made of?
        The letters are made of two sheets of 14gauge steel. The frame is 1" square stock tube.
        Patrick Barberry
        www.legendsofthefog.com
        sigpic

Comment

Can't wait for more pics. Great Work!!
          O'Shawn McClendon
          Creative Chair -- Operator: Cayce-West Columbia Hall of Horrors

One mans junk is another mans kick-ass new prop...

http://www.hallofhorrors.com

http://twitter.com/hallofhorrors

http://cwchallofhorrors.blogspot.com

http://www.youtube.com/hallofhorrors

http://www.myspace.com/cwcjc_hallofhorrors

Comment

Wow, nice and made from steel, cool!
            Giving People The Chills Since 2005

http://www.warehouse31.com

Comment

Looks pretty cool.

So the frame on the back, you just bolt that in using carriage bolts to support it or how will it be mounted, looks heavy.

Also, what would the cost be for a sign like this?

Darkangel

Comment

weight

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
                Looks pretty cool.

So the frame on the back, you just bolt that in using carriage bolts to support it or how will it be mounted, looks heavy.

Also, what would the cost be for a sign like this?

Darkangel
                You are correct on the mounting. The entire sign weighs 140+/- lbs. I figure a more typical application would be 3x6 or 4x8... but I could make anything 3D or flat like this one.

Price? I would say a comparable 3x6 or 4x8 would start around $800 - $1000. It all depends on the complexity of your artwork including no of colors, and how intricate the design work is. If you want something just 1 or 2 colors, the price would probably be less.
                Patrick Barberry
                www.legendsofthefog.com
                sigpic

Comment

AWESOME! We may have to hire you after this season is over to produce a sign for us!

Kel
                  sigpic
                  Kelly Allen
                  Raycliff Manor Haunted Attraction
                  www.RaycliffManor.com
                  www.Facebook.com/RaycliffManor
                  www.HauntBook.com

Comment

hello , wow thats is amazing process , i need one for my house, do you have a manual to design this? , or somthing like that , thats great job , i hope to the best season this year , greetings

Comment

Signage manual

Originally posted by EMBRUJADA View Post
                      hello , wow thats is amazing process , i need one for my house, do you have a manual to design this? , or somthing like that , thats great job , i hope to the best season this year , greetings
                      I don't even know where I got the idea, but I just wanted to make something bold to make a statement in front of our haunt. Last year, our entrance wasn't very impressive, just a bland black-bear shed for a box office. This year is a whole new ball-game.

If you have experience with steel, or know someone who has experience with steel, you will need a good steel cutter. We used a plasma cutter (about a $1500 tool, cost me a case of beer to use). I used sawzall blades to cut the frame for the sign (easy enough). we have a thermal-arc welder 130 (about 800 to get you started) and paint supplies.
                      I guess I just come from a farm family of fabricators, so I have been doing this kind of stuff since I was a kid among other things like restoring classic mustangs (i'm on my 4th nightmare right now) and customizing farm equipment for odd-ball applications.
                      If you are serious about making your own, I could probably type something up, but if you're not savvy with working with steel, you might want to do the same process from plywood... 2x4 framing and a jig-saw is much cheaper than steel.
                      Let me know!

More pics...

A picture of my friend Patrick on the plasma cutter. It cuts through steel like butter. If you're cutting out letters, they'll just fall straight to the floor. This is much easier than using hand tools!

Pic of the Frame laid out on the sign (pre-paint)

Pic of the coating of red. You need to paint everything red, just to get a 1" letter outline

Another pic of the finished product... before the clear-coat
                      Last edited by legendsofthefog; 08-27-2009, 07:34 AM.
                      Patrick Barberry
                      www.legendsofthefog.com
                      sigpic

Comment

Amazing job. Can't wait to see it lit up!

Blood Lake Haunted House & Haunts of Richmond Ghost Tours
                        www.bloodlakeva.com www.hauntsofrichmond.com
                        Located in Richmond, VA

Comment

My Friend GREG........

is the self proclaimed "KING" of Aldino-Stepney road. We'll be over to see you this Fall. Great job on the sign! Chuck

Comment

Seriously, if you are interested in providing us a quote on doing a sign for us, please contact me at info@raycliffmanor.com

We probably don't have time for it this year, but we'd be interested for 2010!

Kel
                            sigpic
                            Kelly Allen
                            Raycliff Manor Haunted Attraction
                            www.RaycliffManor.com
                            www.Facebook.com/RaycliffManor
                            www.HauntBook.com

Comment

Legends of the fog facade finished

Sorry it has been so long, but I just wanted to put up a picture of the facade up and hooked up. It has 2 Par-64s pointing to the sign, and 2 1000 watt foggers piped up to the middle of the sign. Let me know what you think.

Patrick Barberry
                              www.legendsofthefog.com
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X