No announcement yet.

PA Haunts under attack!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know, like everyone has said, bad timing. But I think a group should sit down with the owners and make it clear that you know what's going on and that it has to stop. Make it clear that it has to stop on terms they will understand.

Comment

I just graduated high school, this isn't necessary. I don't go around trashing other peoples haunts, there is no reason for them to...

Comment

The reason why all of you need to be aware of this is because they have been trying to make headway into the community for some time, and may have succeeded in some way.

There's about 5 years of BS ranging from the unethical to the criminal (trespass and posing as a state official and there are witnesses in relation to both). Brandon and Scott have their own collection of stories from Hundred Acres Manor and Scarehouse, as do we at Castle Blood. I can name at least one other area attraction that I personally know has had bad dealings with this crew.

Now, are these the people you want to trust to bring a video camera to your event to "film a documentary" when they contact you with such a great opportunity?

Are they the ones you want to visit on a regional haunt tour? A few of you saw the place because they made it onto the MHC Itinerary in 2009.

As much as I'd like to say that this is an "area problem" it goes beyond that because we know that they attend the same events as the rest of us. They may have even approached you with the same things that they told all of us at one point or another. They have the potential to poison many more people and shows beyond our little corner of the map.

Chris

Comment

Those guys must not be true haunters. I think they are ignorant businessmen who don't know haunting from hunting and never liked the holiday. Our market has a guy like that who I doubt any non-vendors know, his name is Jay Milligan and he goes to Transworld to buy what is cool, barely talks to anyone who isn't famous and I believe he ran a negative campaign against Frightworld in his first year. This is just the type of guy those Pennsylvania dudes seem to be.
          Mike Cirrincione
          Executive Producer of:

M&K Workshop
          MAC Productions presents:
          Buffalo Badlands: Tinianna Home of The Tormentor *RIP*
          AND SOON, Pandora's Box!

Skyrotechnic Illuminations
          Pro Fireworks coming 2015

Cyber Saturday - a revolution in light and music
          Coming soon

Black Hole Shows: Buffalo

Comment

And It Continues...

I found this on the Demon House MySpace blog and thought you guys would find it interesting, this is a direct quote from their haunts official MySpace page. Anyways, here is what it said:

"Well, well, well. It looks as if the other area haunts are not happy with the reviews of Demon House and their own haunts. They have come to writing their own and asking friends and family to do same - it's sad - yet true.

Someone has google reviewed many local haunts and of course the reviewer gave us a good review and the others a well written opinion.

Now the local haunts have started a campaign on attempting to put our good name of Demon House to those reviews. Don't know who wrote them - don't care cause I'm sure the local haunts will continue to bash the only real haunted attraction around: Demon House.

We at Demon House have taken the haunted attraction industry to the next level and still they attempt to rely on their past as a lackluster substitute.

Going to a haunted attraction is not about standing in line for hours - at Demon House we have created what Walt Disney himself would be proud of ... total entertainment from the moment you arrive.

We don't drive around in a hearse or have a monster show that Ed Wood himself would be embarrassed of ... we do however have a GREAT haunted attraction. If they only knew...They can only task themselves to useless comments.

As the saying goes: "Everyone has an opinion!"

So with that being said: Please go to Castle Blood this year, tell them Demon House sent you - then come on over for some real haunted entertainment at Demon House."

Here is the blog URL just in case you wanna check it out: http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...ogId=507491563
            Jesus loves you, but everyone else thinks you're an asshole.

Comment

serisouly?

WOW is all I can say... They got some balls to sit there and attack all the competing haunts in the area...
              Sean De Wane
              ----------------------------------------------
              The De Wane Asylum
              www.dewaneasylum.com

Comment

FWIW, a completely neutral 3rd party review;

http://www.ravensbarrow.com/2007/10/...-pennsylvania/ - I love all of the "supporters" at the end of the review.

http://www.ravensbarrow.com/2007/09/...-pennsylvania/

Everyone has their opinions I guess.
                -Brandon Kelm
                Operations Manager & Technical Director

sigpic

Comment

LOL thanks for the good laught scott...
                  Sean De Wane
                  ----------------------------------------------
                  The De Wane Asylum
                  www.dewaneasylum.com

Comment

OMG, someone please remove the pitchfork from that guys a$$. There are haunts that Walt would like that is a sure thing but from the pics on his site this is in no way one of them.
                    Originally posted by Tater View Post
                    I found this on the Demon House MySpace blog and thought you guys would find it interesting, this is a direct quote from their haunts official MySpace page. Anyways, here is what it said:

"Well, well, well. It looks as if the other area haunts are not happy with the reviews of Demon House and their own haunts. They have come to writing their own and asking friends and family to do same - it's sad - yet true.

Someone has google reviewed many local haunts and of course the reviewer gave us a good review and the others a well written opinion.

Now the local haunts have started a campaign on attempting to put our good name of Demon House to those reviews. Don't know who wrote them - don't care cause I'm sure the local haunts will continue to bash the only real haunted attraction around: Demon House.

We at Demon House have taken the haunted attraction industry to the next level and still they attempt to rely on their past as a lackluster substitute.

Going to a haunted attraction is not about standing in line for hours - at Demon House we have created what Walt Disney himself would be proud of ... total entertainment from the moment you arrive.

We don't drive around in a hearse or have a monster show that Ed Wood himself would be embarrassed of ... we do however have a GREAT haunted attraction. If they only knew...They can only task themselves to useless comments.

As the saying goes: "Everyone has an opinion!"

So with that being said: Please go to Castle Blood this year, tell them Demon House sent you - then come on over for some real haunted entertainment at Demon House."

Here is the blog URL just in case you wanna check it out: http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...ogId=507491563
                    Giving People The Chills Since 2005

http://www.warehouse31.com

Comment

Scott, thanks for posting this information on demon house

Damn, if these guys can't even get the parking right, well, it just goes to show ya that they are nothng but losers ! Uncle larry told us all in "how to create your own haunted house-part 1" (in the year 1995) "you're location must have plenty of parking" (well, he said it kinda like that) common sense and one of the 10 commandments of haunting, I'm sure..... Safe, secure parking !!! These idiots are just begging for a law suit !!!

I can't believe how cheap those photos look! Not even a Spencer's or Wal-mart prop in the place from what I can see, let alone anything quality or original. The only thing "SCARY" was the price for a "SEASON PASS" of $35.00 ! Thank you for hurting me!

Hopefully, the damage to them has been done in this thread. 3 pages of hell to pay for the Demon House from everybody here.... Demon House, you guys are toast!

What kinda drugs are these guys on? The Walt Disney comment? Who in their right mind would even post that ? Please, more posts on this topic! We need to hear more! More posted torture for the Demon House will put the final nail in this horrible "supposed" haunted house's coffin. From the posted photos (cheap!) and reviews, Walking thru that haunt is like serving time.

Comment

Well all I can say is....

Walt just shit his pants and fell back in it! Good Lord this is sad! Not as much as the pictures but that they would say this stuff they have and then put ScareHouse down! Shane and its Walt I am sorry man! Shane this time!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by UndeadProd
                          Here are photos from "only real haunted attraction around" - as placed on the same myspace page.

Yea, but there's a fire pit... and you don't have to wait in line.

- Ryan

Blood Lake Haunted House & Haunts of Richmond Ghost Tours
                          www.bloodlakeva.com www.hauntsofrichmond.com
                          Located in Richmond, VA

Comment

My last post on this subject: this is not about thin skin or bad reviews, this is about blowing the whistle on annual antics involving both google and "Demon House" that may or may not involve you personally - but would certainly seem to be targeted attacks directed at local haunted attractions in Western PA. Haunted attractions that, like yours, are all businesses based on tremendous financial and creative sacrifices and risks.

I don't care if it's you, your in-house computer expert who "helped develop the google platform," or one of your friends/fans/cast members behind this -- but there has been a series of regular and shady practices that seem directed at hurting our business.... most of which involve Google (ahem)

I admit that posting your photos was tacky, I apologize. Blame that one on lack of sleep ...

but I do not apologize for drawing the industry's attention to these shennanigans.

A few weeks ago, someone posted those same negative (and suspect) reviews on local GOOGLE listings for haunted attractions all across western PA.

I didn't start this thread by saying - Hey, the owner of Demon House is attacking me ... or I got a bad review? Impossible! Must be a conspiracy!

In my opinion, I offered a public warning about bad behavior involving google -- which resulted in a rapid response from fellow haunters who quickly realized that they too had suffered from similar attacks, followed by personal opinions and experiences involving you and/or members of your attraction.

If I had not made my concerns public, it is unlikely that they - or other people within the industry - would be aware of the shennanigans involving google.

The next time I catch seemingly underminded marketing tactics that appear to be originating from your attraction and/or fanbase, I may or may not contact you and/or your "in-house computer genius" who "helped develop googles platform" ... maybe he'll be able to explain all of these Google-related issues that seem to regularly occur with local attraction's listings, reviews, and searches. For whatever reason, "Demon House" has always been free of these kinds of issues....

Ahem.

Last post on this. Happy Halloween.
                            Scott Simmons
                            The ScareHouse / Undead Productions Inc.

http://www.scarehouse.com
                            http://youtube.com/thescarehouse

Comment

If Anybody..

Should know how much time & work goes into creating and running a haunted attraction, it sure should be the other people doing that same thing.
                              When some of my patrons begin to bad-mouth some "lame" ."stupid" haunt experience, I quickly point out that it Still takes alot of sweat, yes even to "fail" in some people's eyes.
                              "Sweat" should always be respected, I feel, because in general it had become a rare commodity in much of this country for awhile.
                              As owner and the guy 99% of the customers hear and see during their time here (with no mask or make-up to hide who I am) I have been personally degraded sometimes for purely childish reasons or just vindictiveness of the kind a spoiled child deals in, total lies and fantasy..which doesn't mean that someone might not consider such lies true.
                              One young woman told all of her friends in another haunt that I was a drug maker/user/dealer.
                              Her original problem with me and my house was I refused to give her a tour at 2AM.!
                              That was all that it took to inspire her to be that way.
                              I have never touched street drugs in any way, I debate long and hard within myself before I take one asprin.
                              Another young woman told her church members that I was a practising satanist, I guess just to get their attention during a public meeting?
                              We sure see alot of church youth groups come through here, maybe they are all on a mission to turn out satan? Maybe her baloney helped my finances? hahahah!
                              She had me hiding 50 of my cult members someplace within my house when ever someone showed up for a house tour and me spending time in the local jail for getting into a fist-fight with a Christian "Spy" who infiltrated my little club! WoW!
                              So much creativeness, so much venom!
                              I have seen "venom" be very corrosive, usually to the dealer themself.
                              hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Hey everyone,

Ethan from Hundred Acres Manor here. Well, lets see, this is my first post on Haunt World so I guess I better make it an intelligent, interesting, and entertaining right? So any whom, I am a bit late jumping on the Haunt World band wagon, but this whole topic has captured my interest; mainly in part because it directly reflects my haunt and haunts that I just so happen to be friends with. I do want to let you all know that I did not join to raise hell or cause issues and i do intend on becoming an active member on this forum. Well, here it goes:

First and foremost I would like to state the facts of this case (because it seems to be a trail by jury situation lol) I did some research and some digging and this is what I came up with, I apologize if I repeat any tidbit that has been stated in the past reply's to this thread. The reviews were obviously not written by a patron, check the wording.Also, these reviews are not "new" they were posted in an anaonomus blog in 2007, here is a link to that particular blog:

http://hauntreview.blogspot.com/sear...&max-results=5

The interesting part about this all for me is that this blog appeared not to long after we were reviewed by a legitimate local haunt reviewer as Brandon pointed out before. This reviewer has no affiliate with our haunt and to my knowledge is not pals with any of our staff. I would also like to add that we spend way to much in marketing to take the time to bribe someone for a review. If this was the case I would at least aim for a national reviewer lol (btw not my style, I have respect for my fellow haunters):

Demon House - http://www.ravensbarrow.com/2007/10/...-pennsylvania/

Hundred Acres Manor - http://www.ravensbarrow.com/2007/09/...-pennsylvania/

Now on to my thoughts:

Castle Blood Review

http://maps.google.com/maps/user?uid...31&hl=en&gl=us

First up was Castle Blood on this damaging campaign. Now lets see, I have know Ricky and his wife for years. I may be a bit bias when I say that they do one of the most fantastic events I have ever had the opportunity to go through. Their event is unique, fun, and down right amazing. I always recommend our visitors to visit their haunt as a MUST SEE. Honestly, Ricky did not make it on the cover of Haunted Attraction Magazine because he is doing a mediocre haunt. He got where he is because his event is AMAZING!

Ricky does not advertise as a "haunted house" but rather a theatrical haunted house attraction. That is what he is, a theatrical Halloween adventure tour with haunted attraction (movie) quality sets, detailed costuming, elaborate scripts and storyline. It is an "Adventure Tour", correct me if I am wrong but it says "Halloween Adventure Tours in big bold letters on the side of their facility. As for being broken? Um? Sorry to put another hole in this "review" but their scripts are meticulously detailed and I rather enjoy how well each and everyone of their staff knows the storyline in and out and is able to create their own characters that literally immerse you in the theme of the season. This isn't even really an opinion of mine but a fact. Their cast members know their stuff and can interact with a group for up to 30-45 minutes in character while their patrons are having conversations with them! As far as "cheap props", I do know that Ricky does not go and blow his entire budget on high ticket animatronics but the set detail is amazing. This review makes it sound as if he went to Wal-Mart and grabbed a handful of 99 cent cobwebs and some gooey eyeballs and tossed them about his backyard. Totally false! As far as their location, yes they are on a road, but um, isn't every haunt? I would hope so cause if you weren't you would be out of business really quick. They light up that road with so many flares that you could probably see it from space not to mention have a well lit concession/que area for patrons to safely wait their turn and stay off the roads edge. As Brandon said in a past comment, they also have WIDE side walks so unless you haven't walked recently, you should have no issues getting to their event. The twist of the knife in this review would have to be the last line, "Don't Waste Your Time" but more specifically "go somewhere else CLOSE". Two guesses as to why that last line got me thinking.

Hundred Acres Manor Review

Well lets first be honest, this is my event so I am going to try to be as unbiased as possible. Ok, ok. Well as Brandon stated, yes we did have a lettered sign in Day-Glo but this was years ago. We have put a HUGE stone mansion facade on our facility as of two seasons ago. So, hum? This review was posted this August? As far as long lines go, we are putting through 2,500+ on a Saturday evening in October, YES we will have a line. I am sorry, it just tends to happen when you are BUSY! We do offer a VIP pass and we do keep in mind that patrons do not want to stand in line all evening. We also know what our max thru-put is and do not want to be forced into conga line mode. We do have a Gore Gallore Pupmin Reacher and other creatures in line to entertain our crowd as well as live bands, fire breathers, and a well stocked concession area directly adjacent to our que line. As far as "general theming", a haunted house is a haunted house? I dunno, maybe we don't push the envelop with doing some way off crazy theme but name one haunt that is doing something SO different in the themes used. I like to think that we take the themes and expand upon them rather than do the tried and true but hey, your opinion is your opinion on our theme. I like it cuz I design it. Not everyone has to. As far as our haunt being to dark, as Brandon said, in the past the place was lit up like a Christmas tree, it was almost to bright! We did have Mini Spot come and redo our entire lighting design for the 2009 season to be proactive about this. As far as our Maze goes, as I have told Kelly and Neena and other close friends in the haunt industry, haunters will hate our maze. I hate our maze. Our staff hates our maze. Why do we keep it? Our patrons LOVE it. Isn't that the real point? I will admit, our haunt is old school in the fact that we do design for startle scare. That is what we are. Just as Ricky is HUGE on script. It is a design choice. If this reviewer did not perfect startle scare I would recommend Castle Blood, oh wait? Didn't they say they hated that to? Hum? What I found most interesting about this review was that everything in the review could have been derived from just simply looking at our website and a quick drive by on a Saturday night. Their are no specifics aside from lighting? We advertise our themes on our website and if you live in Pittsburgh you know about our Maze. Interesting? I won't belabor this review since it is of my own haunt and my opinions can be skued.

The Scare House Review

Well folks, Scott and Barb are two of the best people that I know so again my opinion may be skued. These are the people that brought their entire staff out to help us open the first year because we were running so far behind. Why someone would attack them is BEYOND ME?!? Any whom, this review starts out complaining about the location. Ok what is your perfect location Mr. Reviewer? You don't like the park? You don't like a location on a street? You don't like a location in a neighborhood? And you probably don't like a box with a fox or green eggs and ham either do you? So the reviewer continues to complain about a line, COME ON A WEDNESDAY! Gosh, if you are as intelligence of a reviewer as you so make yourself out to be, you would know that if you don't want to wait in line, you would go to a popular haunt on a night that they would have less of a crowd. Now people this is just common sense. If you go to TGI Fridays a 6pm on a Friday night and expect no wait time, you are INSANE! Next up was the complaint about being to dark. Now I assume this reviewer must be a lighting technician because this seems to be a HUGE issue for him. He states that The makeup was great! But I couldn't see it? Um??? Sorry that just eludes me? As far as the character in the line, I am sure he was well scripted knowing Scott and Barb. The reviewer was correct that they have awesome sets but incorrect in saying that they are set up like a museum. If Scott taught me one thing in this industry it is that you always put your patrons IN the set not walk them by the set. He showed my how to use props as was to redirect patrons as opposed to walls. Sounds simple but really effective! In closing with the Scare House review, their haunt is called SCARE HOUSE! Because their actors SCARE you or at very least entertain you. I have never heard a bad review on them and they are rated one of the best in the country. Hats off to you guys!

Why Is This All Such An Issue You Might Ask

Google "Haunted House Pittsburgh - The first thing you get is our map and review listings. This is a problem if their are false reviews out there for our businesses. We do encourage reviews and all of us Pittsburgh haunts as business men and women know we won't please everyone. This is just to much!
                                www.HundredAcresManor.com

Comment

Working...
                                X