Its Official: Transworld Halloween and Haunt Show is Moving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trade Show

I think this may have been mentioned before, but I could really do without that strong arm tatics of the Chicago Unions -

That alone as well as the warmer location and appeal of Las Vegas are bonuses for me.

We'll be there, just some more logistics to work out. Instead of me driving a truck of our booth and props, we'll have to ship them in containers.

It will cost us more, no doubt about that. Unless they are willing to lower the price of the booths.
    Steve Martini
    Screamline Studios
    www.screamlinestudios.com
    steve@screamlinestudios.com

Comment

I myself think this is great news! I have been attending trade shows in vegas for my swimming pool and hot tub company for 14 years. I read alot of complaining about rental cars-but I have never once rented a car. You can get to any hotel on the strip on a shuttle from the airport for about $7. The new tram system goes all the way down the strip, and straight to the convention center. I believe you can ride it all day for $10 or so. You can get ANYWHERE on the strip!
      Also rooms are way cheaper. I can usually stay at the Luxor for $59 or excalibur for $49 a night. There is always deals on rooms. I will have to pay probably another $100 for a flight, but I will save on the rooms for sure, as most of the time in rosemont it's 130-150 a room, plus parking fees. All in all It will work out cheaper for me(Other than money spent on fun and drinks..lol) There is so much more to do in vegas...and being from Buffalo-I am much happier to go to a warmer climate!! All in all I think this is definately a good move. Other than no more dream reapers

-Tim
      www.houseofhorrorsbuffalo.com
      www.myspace.com/houseofhorrors
      thehorrorbizness@aol.com

Comment

Right now it seems to be a split 50/50 on reaction to this.

Anytime you have change its hard at first. When I read Ken's comments I'm like what...Ken this is what everyone else in the nation does year after year. You're like one of how many haunters that live in Chicago, there are people from all over that have to deal with what you now will. No big deal man...

You have a successful haunted house, and you will be at Transworld I will bet you on that one, and I'll go one further: You'll have a great time!

I will take another leap here...

All the people saying MHC or Hauntcon or whatever will now grown and maybe take over TW, or that all the new show will be is haunters in suits... I laugh very loudly!

Nothing against these shows, but facts are facts, people go to these shows like a gathering, for their seminars, and or because they are haunters, but no one is going to Hauntcon to see NEW stuff, they hardly have any vendors. Transworld has ALL the vendors, and the VENDORS won't be switching anytime soon!

The vendors are going where the TW goes, and the buyers are going where TW goes, and the vendors are going where the buyers go and the buyers are going where the vendors go and that will be (let me take a breath) VEGAS!

Lastly, I don't think ANYONE will be wearing suits! The only person I see wearing suits year after year in Chicago is Lynton Harris! LOL I don't think that will change in vegas.

Actually (KEN) since you made that comment, the only thing that will change on what people wear is NOW you might actually see people wearing SHORTS! LOL

Larry
        Larry Kirchner
        President
        www.HalloweenProductions.com
        www.BlacklightAttractions.com
        www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
        www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Well, you'll never catch my butt in a pair of shorts, but I am one of the 50% that's happy TW is moving to Vegas!

I am also very glad I chose to attend TW this year. Without it still being in Chicago, I would never have the opportunity to visit Jim's haunt, TOTF, Dream Reapers and all the others. PLUS, I'll finally get a chance to eat the REAL Chicago pizza and not the stuff they call Chicago "style" pizza they serve us here. However, due to the expense, I figured this would be my first and last time attending. Now that it's moving much closer to home, I'm hopeful again.

Comment

I have to say this..."What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas"
            I can see the commerial now.lol.
            Giving People The Chills Since 2005

http://www.warehouse31.com

Comment

If Empress will be in Vegas, what more reason do I need to go to TW Vegas?! :wink: Looking forward to meeting you in Chicago Emp!

Kel
              Chris Riehl
              Sales@spookyfinder.com
              (586)209-6935
              www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Just in case you were thinking maybe I'm wrong... I got another confirmation from Transworld today. They are moving!

This is it!

Vegas here we come!

Larry
                Larry Kirchner
                President

Comment

The way we look at it, with what we'll save on food and rooms, we can fly. Of course, I do understand that we're not vendors and we don't have to transport a lot of large items. Hell, the luggage will be light with only shorts and t-shirts! Seriously though, I do hope the vendors who normally showcase their products will be willing to get their items to the show. I have a feeling in the long run it'll be more lucrative for them.

Regarding the gatherings, next year we'll have to form a HauntWorld Committee to coordinate a gathering of haunters. That is if TW doesn't take on the challenge already with some form of Haunter's Pavillion area in Vegas. :wink:

Kel
                  Chris Riehl
                  Sales@spookyfinder.com
                  (586)209-6935
                  www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Sounds like the vegas destination is only secured for 2008. The location for 2009 isn't set, and it may indeed be back in chicago, according to Gregg at TW.

It almost sounds like they are testing the waters for a moving show. That would be great! Chicago, Vegas, Orlando...

-- I
                    -------------------------------
                    http://www.fx13studios.com

Comment

Well... y'all have fun. I can't do Vegas. I've been doing TransWorld for almost 15 years. (I did three in Atlanta before they dropped that one.) Looks like this will be my last one.
                      ------------------------
                      The child is grown, the dream is gone.
                      I have become comfortably numb.

Comment

Have MHC move over to the Chicago in March slot and see what happens. Might be a great move
                        !

While I stated shows like MHC might increase in attendance, this type of move wooul be detrimental. Why go up against Goliath when it isn't necessary?????

COMPLIMENT the TW show don't try and compete!!! Make sure MHC is far enough away that people will attend BOTH shows. Do you business at TW (along with a little Vegas fun!!!) and meet your friends at MHC.. Vendors won't support MHC if it's too close to TW, that's why TW Vegas failed to begin with. Too close to the main show...why do both?

Let's talk about "cheap" haunters!!!! Move MHC to Chicago you're back in the same groove, hotel prices, lack of food, activities, etc. What happens if MHC has no vendor support? Remember no free lunch? Wil Haunters be willing to pay additional $100 plus just to visit and feel "warm and fuzzy"???

It seems from people's comments that anyone who is business related, or has done other trade shows sees this as a good move. Only those that have had TW in their back yard for years, drive in, stay with friends or relatives or cram 6 to a room are complaining. The free lunch is over! Most of us have had to foot the MAJOR expenses of traveling to Chicago for years now. Look on the bright side you won't have a fraction of expenses we've had to endure for years!!

For those complaining about making a weekend trip to Vegas, do what others do. You plan a vacation around the show. You expend your stay and stay the week in Vegas. Once you tire of that in a couple years, you drive the 4-5 hours to Los Angles and do the touristy stuff there. March is great because it's warm enough and you don't fight the crowds of the summer!!!!

I WILL definately miss one HUGH factor of leaving Chicago...no not even visiting my family..... I will miss ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICHES!!!! You can not get them ANYWHERE like good ol' Chicago beef!!!! Chicago pizza is great, but you can get a close approximate...not so with Italian Beef!!! My FIRST stop when I land is Buona Beef or Portillo's!!! THAT's what I will miss about Chicago!!!

See I STILL don't win with the show moving to my back yard.I've visited family every year and we're use to it. Now I'll have to make the trip to visit them (and get a beef fix!!!)
                        R&J Productions
                        Las Vegas, NV
                        www.LasVegasHaunts.com

Comment

Vegas hotel prices are normally three times higher on a weekend night than through the week. If a hotel says they have rooms starting at $70 per night, that would be a Monday through Thursday nights. Same room on a weekend could be as high as $200.

Plus - JoeDog just informed me that the proposed date is the same weekend as some big NASCAR race. Try finding a hotel room with all those folks around.
                          ------------------------
                          The child is grown, the dream is gone.
                          I have become comfortably numb.

Comment

As for testing the waters, I don't think thats the case. Whenever you uproot a show that has been in one city for this long, you don't 'test the waters' by moving the show thousands of miles away to see what would happen.

You stand the chance of losing your dates at Rosemont and everything else on a 'test the waters' I don't think so. I think this is set in stone...they're going to Vegas to try and make it WORK!

And I can tell you I think it will WORK, and you'll find that it won't leave!

But we'll see.

Again everyone understand, I live four hours from Chicago I like the short trip!!! LOL

Larry
                            Larry Kirchner
                            President

Comment

I live in Michigan and am not exactly thrilled the show is moving to Vegas, but like I said before as long as the show basically stays the same I will be there. I may have to start planning the trip earlier but I will be there.
                              Jared Layman

Comment

Originally posted by RJ Productions
                                I will miss ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICHES!!!! You can not get them ANYWHERE like good ol' Chicago beef!!!! Chicago pizza is great, but you can get a close approximate...not so with Italian Beef!!! My FIRST stop when I land is Buona Beef or Portillo's!!! THAT's what I will miss about Chicago!!!
                                Ummmm....
                                This beef. How far is it from the convention center?

Comment

Working...
                                X