Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on the Silicone mask companies.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on the Silicone mask companies.

Anyone who has used both SPFX and CFX masks have any input as to which product is better? As far as fitting, comfort, ease of use, quality, paint job etc. I had an SPFX Vamp, but was rather unhappy with it for a few reason. It was huge, and I have a big friggen head, and no matter what I did, even with a think winter hat on, there was always a huge loose section in the back of the head. My other problem was with the eyes, I couldnt really see out of it, and the eye of the mask would pretty much just poke me in the eye. The only way it was comfortable was if I would walk around with my head looking down to the ground. I was able to wrap up a hankerchief and position it right above the eyes and this would pull it away from the eyes a little, but who want to do that everytime you put it on? The paintjob however was absolutly amazing, it looked so real that even when you know it is just a mask, it still fools you. I ordered a CFX Imp mask last week in the hopes that this one would be more comfortable and fit better. After seeing a few videos on youtube from kinghuman, I decided that I needed to get a CFX mask. Anyone have any feedback, or thoughts or opinions. Thanks, Justin
    The secret of life is to appreciate the pleasure of being terribly, terribly deceived.

Justin,

The best way to get the most out of any mask be it latex or silicone is to custom tailor it to your head. One size never fits all with a mask. Cut and trim the areas around your eyes until it feels comfortable. Slice the back and cranium and remove enough material until the mask fits snug. Use silicone glue to seem it back together. Back the area with cloth inside for strength and you should be go to go. Neither company can work miracles for everybody.

Comment

CFX Hands down.

CFX has a bigger selection and are smaller, has a tighter fit and they reinforce their stress areas. SPFX is a way larger mask and they do not reinforce their stress areas. I like some of the ones SPFX has got and I do have some but I am no where near as happy with them than I am CFX. I might also note CFX has a awsome turn around time where SPFX takes for ever. Shane and its call Wes or Ken at CFX and tell them Shane sent ya!
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks Shane, I have heard the same from several people. Another thing I was really impressed with was there response time. Before I ordered the mask, I sent them like 5 emails, and each one was answered within a half hour of me sending it. It has been a pleasure dealing with them, and I plan on ordering more from them in the future!
        The secret of life is to appreciate the pleasure of being terribly, terribly deceived.

Comment

"Free Mask"? No "Mask-Free!"

I turned that corner long ago you young whipper-snappers.
          No mask needed when you are 60 years old and ugly.
          I just run out the drawbridge grabbing at my cheeks(facial) screaming, "Genetic mask alert!
          A girlfriend of mine once told me I looked "Medieval", not at all like a modern person, maybe like one sillistitious person once told me that I have been reincarnated 11 times and I am still getting the same old face each outting?
          He also informed me this was my last re-incarnate, maybe that's why I'm having so much fun, it only took me all these lifetimes to learn how?
          Send $14.98 today for my free booklet!
          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

I will be posting a video of Charlie Chiodo 30 year hollywood effects artist and fimmaker. He will Clear up all of these rumors . .....I will also be posting video Testimonials from Greg Cannom an oscar winning fx artist who happened to sculpt one the new masks we are coming out with. He has teamed up with me to create a line of his designs. In case you are wondering he did the lost boys, bram stokers Dracula, Mrs, Doutfire, Benjamin Buttons, and Van Helsing. 3 of those he won oscars for. Justin you can call me anytime and in will fix your problem with the vamp mask. We made the eyes extra long for people with deep set eyes because you can always take away but not add. You simply trim the eyes to fit your eye setting. Trim (cuticle clippers)a little then try it on ...repeat if needed untill you have a customized fit. Rusty
            Last edited by spfxmasks; 09-16-2009, 08:01 AM.

http://www.spfxmasks.com

Comment

It seems like we do this topic every two months...

I have a HUGE silicone mask collection

1/3 are custom
              1/3 are CFX
              1/3 are SPFX

They are all GREAT they are all HOT.

They all have different looks and applcations. ALL of my CFX and SPFX Masks are reinforced (And I have a VERY old Vampire)

Some of my old SPFX Masks and some of my Custom Masks are Large. (Old Sculpts)

CFX Has some large sizes on early sculpts I understand but I don't have any, perhaps they have fazed them out. They do have some very tight female masks that are great on SMALL females,

Easy fix on the large masks with an arming cap (Or a hand towel) put it in the back and there you go.

Anyway the only real funcional difference I see on modern CFX / SPFX Masks is that CFX makes the eye holes bigger for haunt use and SPFX masks makes them tighter for pranks.

If they are too small trim them. This stuff is common sense.

Listen people have different sized heads and nothing will fit everyone perfect.

I have said this like a dozen times... BOTH are great artists with cool products. WE are LUCKY that both of them are working hard for US!

I will stand by them both.... I think both products rock.

Thanks!
              Ben Armstrong
              NETHERWORLD HAUNTED HOUSE
              www.Fearworld.com
              www.NetherworldNetwork.com

Comment

Rusty, I got your email, and I appreciate your willingness to give me a call with some details and information. I know you are busy right now, and I dont want to take you away from your projects. I never said that the Vampire was not re-inforced, it is. I also didnt mean to start a slamming war. I was just trying to get some good comsumer to consumer advice about some pretty expensive products. When I spend over $600 on a mask, I feel a little weary about taking it out of the box and cutting and trimming it up. I am pretty good at doing and making a lot of things, but masks are not one of them. I can completley understand and appreciate that it was one of your first masks, and may have some room for improvement, but no place on the website or in the package the mask came in did it offer to tell me that it was huge and the eyes were small, and that I would need to take some additional steps to customize it. If it came with a quick little picture tutorial on what to do, or a video on the website, I would have been fine. I never said your products suck and that people shouldnt buy them. Your perfectly right, all those people that you mentioned who partner with you and use your products would not use them if they sucked. I can only express my feelings and experience that I have had with the 1 masks that I purchased from you, and it wasnt absolutley terrible, it just wasnt as good as I had hoped for. If what you say about the new masks is true and they are smaller and have a better fit, then I will definatley consider your masks in the future. I really like the clown design, and plan on having a custom killer clown suit made up after this season is over, so I definatley may consider it. But I am sure you can understand my hesitation. If you go to a really expensive restaurant and spend a lot of money on a nice dinner and drinks, then at the end of the night they bring out your desert, and right in the middle of that piece of cheese cake, floating in the strawberry sauce is a short, little curly brown hair. Do you go back the next weekend? I dont think so. Even though the dinner was phenominal and you know the odds are that you will not have a hair in your desert this time, it leaves a bad taste in your mouth, and chances have it you will never go back, or at least for a long time. Am I wrong?

Comment

We have 2 SPFX Masks, 1 we got several years ago and 1 we got last year. I do know that SPFX Masks are reinforced around the eyes and mouth and are top quality! Both masks we got from SPFX are going strong, in spite of the abuse they've taken at Raycliff Manor and by me personally. I haven't had the opportunity to try the CFX Mask yet so I can't speak to their silicone masks.

The masks we purchased have been one of the best investments we've make, for saving time and have been an outstanding investment in the impression they've made on the guests and on the press and media! Just a bit of positive feedback.

Kel
                  sigpic
                  Kelly Allen
                  Raycliff Manor Haunted Attraction
                  www.RaycliffManor.com
                  www.Facebook.com/RaycliffManor
                  www.HauntBook.com

Comment

Being a big guy myself, I'm all for companies making LARGE masks! It's already been said once in this thread, but I'll repeat it... It's easier to "take away" then it is to "add".

Comment

I am over 6ft and a good 350 pounds, and I had about 3 inches of slack that needed to be pulled in the back in order to get it on right. There arent many people that are bigger than me running around in a haunted house.

Comment

Justin, The reason it is riding up the back and falling down on your eyes is Your have a shorter neck....from the pic i saw with you with the vamp mask. Tell me if this is incorrect. Had the same problem with a client whos has a husky guy with a short neck. The base of the back of the neck is being pushed up and causing the whole mask to shift foward...does that make since? give me some feedback.

Comment

That could be the issue? I've never really given any thought to the size of my neck. If it is the issue, is there a way to resolve it?

Comment

We also own a few of Rusty's Masks and I have used them for years at Terror on the Fox as well.
                            Rusty has always answered my calls and questions and when we developed a small tear in one of the masks he was more than happy to fix it for free. I am sure they fit people differently and I believe both companies carry quality products. I'm a huge fan of the elder and the inbred and they have been extremely valuable tools in our marketing over the years!
                            Mike "Tattoo" Krausert

Senior Project Manager

Thirteenth Floor Entertainment Group

www.thirteenthfloor.com

President - Bad Boys Scenic Design

Comment

Tattoe, Ben,and Kel thank you for the kind words....means alot. Justin, unfortunatly I can not fix that problem. The vamp is thick in the back of the neck and that is the prob with guys with a short neck. I was tryingthe player mask on to a stage performer and had the same prob....i thought WHAT THE HELL.... and finally realised the prob No Neck...lol . Justin the elder, zombie, clown, werewolf, thug, inbred, and the new chopper zombie dont have that problem. It seems the player and sarge seem to have the same problem with guys with short necks....because the back of the neck is thicker pushing that mask forward. It is thick enoughthat it does not want to give. We try to get a unaversal fit but when you sculpt the character you have to build certain areas to make a convincing look. I am sorry but we did our best with this fit thing. call me at 310 913 8633 and we can work something out. I want you to be happy with the mask. Rusty Ona light note this is tooo funny!!! just went to the forum and saw this after replying to this....lol must see!! GOOD GOD!!! Looks like me on a binder!!!

http://www.fxmasks.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2121
                              Last edited by spfxmasks; 09-17-2009, 02:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X