Wiper Motor speeds....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiper Motor speeds....

Hey guys, I've recently gotten a hold of some wiper motors to use on some props. I've tested them and have found their lowest speeds. But I was wondering if there is something I can use to make it even slower. Like getting some dimmer switch from
    the hardware store or something like that. I don't really want or need to go buy a $60-100 prop controller.

Since the wiper motor is running on a 12v, what would work for a speed controller?

Any suggestion something I can just add to the wiring?

Thanks.

GD
    Last edited by GothycDesigns; 09-20-2009, 12:57 AM.

You can get down to 15 rpm by running it on the low speed setting and only supplying 5vdc. It takes at least a 3amp power supply I belive however.
    Brian Warner
    Owner of Evilusions www.EVILUSIONS.com
    Technical Director of Forsaken Haunted House www.Forsakenhaunt.com
    Mechanical Designer (animatronics) at Gore Galore www.Gore-Galore.com

Comment

So I got to thinking and think I have found a possible idea. I thought to look into
      making a rheostat or use of a potentiometer as a possible controller. I'l experiment today, but found this article....

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_6/chpt_3/7.html#

I'll post my findings if good or bad...lol.

Thx for you advice. If I had more money going into to making it, I'd sure buy one of your controllers. But I'll definitely bookmark your site.

Comment

Ok...So I found a potentiometer that worked and will allow me to dial down the speed. Now the thing is, is that after a little while of running, the pot. gets a little warm. So I was wondering if i should use a resistor to help take some of the load off. I basically wired it to like the diagram in the link I posted previously, but had not used a resistor. I'm curious to know if a 470ohm resistor will work best.

Any thoughts would be great. Or I guess I could find a 'pot' that could be rated a little higher. it was a like 3watts with 20% tolerance. basically a volume dial that would go on a radio.

ThX !

Comment

Originally posted by GothycDesigns View Post
          Ok...So I found a potentiometer that worked and will allow me to dial down the speed. Now the thing is, is that after a little while of running, the pot. gets a little warm. So I was wondering if i should use a resistor to help take some of the load off. I basically wired it to like the diagram in the link I posted previously, but had not used a resistor. I'm curious to know if a 470ohm resistor will work best.

Any thoughts would be great. Or I guess I could find a 'pot' that could be rated a little higher. it was a like 3watts with 20% tolerance. basically a volume dial that would go on a radio.

ThX !
          In my experience, it's never a bad idea to add a resistor. As a very smart friend put it,"you may get unexpected results, but at least you won't have to go buy another expensive part.."

Comment

I went to Radio Shack yesterday and found that I should use at least a 6 watt if gonna use a pot. The girl googled it and that where she came up with it. She lost the page before she could print it out.

I'll try a resistor as well and then the 6 watt pot. But its better than doing a whole major hack. just need to figure on piece...lol.

Comment

Working...
            X