What does it take?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does it take?

It is my dream to own and manage my own haunted attraction. My haunted attraction would be extreme, intense. My inspiration comes from the Haunted Hoochie (www.deadacres.com)

My question is, what does it really take to put up and maintain a permanent and professional haunted attraction? What kind of money does it take? How to go about getting makeup artists? What would be a good major or minor in college to help this cause? A degree in engineering and or an MBA? I have the mind and inspiration to create a haunted house that would drag guests into the rabbit hole, but a little advise from the industries best would prove its worth.

Where to start?
    Thanks in advance

Go to school for technical theatre. You will learn stage design, stage construction, set dressing, lighting, sound, special effects, make up, costuming, performing etc. You can also minor in business management. While you are in school, try to get a job working for a haunted house so you can get an idea how they operate. Start here, once you finish school, you will have a much better understanding on where to go from there!
    The secret of life is to appreciate the pleasure of being terribly, terribly deceived.

Comment

The best education for haunting is to help someone who runs one FULL TIME, free if need be. Give them a "non compete" contract so they know you won't open up in the same town, and tell them you want to be their right hand apprentice. Tell them you need to learn all the ropes, including the finance, advertising, inspections, all the details, and will do anything they need (that's legal). They'll exploit your free labor (or maybe even pay you something if you ask to be paid whatever they think you are worth and can afford, but are not required to pay anything) and you'll learn a ton. You'll also invest a ton of time and effort, of course, but not as much as 4 years of college. Then, when you learned it all (maybe even do it two seasons) you can use the $50,000 you saved by not going to college and use it to open your own haunt in another town.

That being said, I generally advise people to pursue a college degree (as a fall back plan in the event the haunting career, or acting career, or whatever dream doesn't pan out), but my point is that for doing a haunted house, there are better and cheaper ways to educate yourself.

I for one would welcome such an apprentice, and I bet I'm not the only one.
      www.TerrorOfTallahassee.com

Comment

Monster wax has given some great advice on a subject that really is to huge to cover in one post. Mistakes are the best teacher, by working for someone else you will be able to learn from their mistakes as opposed to your own more expensive ones. The only caveat I have to Monsterwax's advice is that I think you should plan on working for that show for four or five years at least. In one season you will not learn near enough to operate your own.
        Allen H
        www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
        http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Working...
        X