Walls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walls

This year our haunt is on a pretty tight budget, but we are still looking for a way to expand our haunt outside. What type of material do you suggest using for exterior walls?

Thanks for your help! If you have any pics/links too that would be great.

Well, you can use black plastic, it comes in big rolls but, I would put something in front of it, camo netting, dope, large props. We even bought some christmas trees from walmart the year before for next to nothing and they looked great at night. You can also cut down dead tree branches and put them into the ground cover them with cob webs. If you use the plastic you will want to buy a sheet or two of press board, think peg board without the holes. Cut this into strips about 2'' wide (24 strips per sheet) you can put your plastic wall up to a tree put the strip up with screws. Now the plastic will not pull through because you have a strip that runs from the top to the bottom. The press board is flexable so it will fallow the contour of the tree it is also cheap.
    Giving People The Chills Since 2005

http://www.warehouse31.com

Comment

Here is a photo, it had a blue light in this area making it a lot darker. The actor would stand behind the stock with his arms up when people would walk by he would drop down and come at them. It worked really well, they just thought it was a prop and then bam.
      http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...InTheIce/ice2/

Comment

Wow, that looks great. Thanks for your help!

Can you find the plastic at a place like Lowes or Home Depot? Sorry, I am pretty new the home haunting thing, lol.

Comment

Yes, it comes 10' wide and 100' long, I cut mine down to 8' wide with a razer blade you can use 4 of the 2' wide pieces to make another 8' wall. Get the 6ml it is heaver and if you have only a few trees you can always get a 2x4 cut it down to 2' then sink it into the ground about 1'6'' then screw a furing strip to it and you will have a cheap pole to hold it up.

Comment

We use Wooden Pallets, with black plastic on the ( out sides)
            with camo netting on top.
            real eazy on the budget too,..
            Only" real problem is the storage". (70 - 80 ) pallets
            Ghoul Town

Comment

Just remember walls are walls and should not fall on people and should be erected well enough to withstand some winds without falling on someone.
              The bigger they are, the harder they fall on you!
              The taller they are, the wind they catch when it blows!
              Wind in October? Noo,... never!
              hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

And if you live in an area where it might rain, avoid the plastic. That sucked big time in 2003...just don't do it...
                Heartstoppers
                Haunted House

Sacramento, CA

www.scaredyou.com

www.fb.com/heartstoppers
                www.twitter.com/heartstoppershh

Comment

Well, for a small budget doind a home haunt, it's hard for them to put money towrds stuff like plywood. Personally, I've had no trouble with the few times I've had plastic outside. And, being only one nite(or 2), I don't think that he should go with anithing else, but plastic.

Also, you can buy the plastic in a 60' roll, rather than only 100', so that'll save you a little bit of money.
                  Brad Bowen
                  Owner/Operator of the Ultimate Fear Haunted House in Shreveport, LA
                  www.ultimatefear.net

Comment

Just please be aware that regular black plastic bought from the home improvement stores are not fire retardant. So, if there is a fire, you'll have a serious hazard on your hands. Also, if the fire marshall gets wind of your plastic, they will shut you down.

If you are thinking about flame retardant black plastic, check out either:

Americover

http://www.americover.com/Products/FRBlackPlastic.html

Or Shindigz:

http://www.shindigz.com/catalog2.cfm?caid=687547

Comment

I think we're worrying about it too much. It's a home haunt, one night a year, outside. Give him a break, I don't think the Fire Marshall will give him any trouble. Just remember to light the ground so people don't trip. Go with the plastic.
                      Slash
                      "If you fail to plan, plan to fail"

Comment

Originally posted by slash
                        Give him a break, I don't think the Fire Marshall will give him any trouble.
                        Slash, when you say the word "think", that leaves room for doubt. I was a home haunter for many, many years and it was because of the run in with the law and being shut down that I decided to take the measures that removed the room for doubt.

My suggestion to use flame retardant plastic was just that -- a suggestion. A suggestion that could save some heartache.

Comment

What ever you use be sure to have a plan in case something goes wrong. Buy a fire extinguisher and flash lights for everyone working there. Also get a good first aid kit, all of this will not cost alot and may save someone. It's things you will get and hope you never need. As a home haunt your home owners insurance will cover you but you may want to ask your agent, a claim brought on by your haunt could get you axed.

Comment

if that plastic catches fire,the extinguisher is useless,that stuff will tar you,i def wouldnt use it for celings either.that never stoped me from using it as a home haunter tho,im sure we all have.also as long as your not charging money for your home haunt,the firemarshal cant shut you down."private party"if you are charging money and not in a commercial zone,you will get shut down anyway.it took us about 5 yrs as a backyard haunt before the firemarshal knocked on my door making me sign papers.we said private party and he said ok thank you and see ya later,but i will be sending an officer over several times during the night making sure you are not charging money

Comment

Originally posted by wipp
                              .also as long as your not charging money for your home haunt,the firemarshal cant shut you down."private party"
                              Not true. As long as you are inviting others into a creation of your own, they can shut you down if so chosen. This happened to one of the home haunts that posted here just before October. I'll look them up after I come back from TW!

Comment

Working...
                              X