Where can I find....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can I find....

The look we are trying to achieve this year is kind of a Van Helsing meets Frankenstein. No, that is not the theme, but it will give you a good idea of the look we are going for. What I am looking for is ideas on where to seek out some props and and other eye candy. Old lab supplies -- beakers, microscopes, etc. Electrical supplies -- old style transformers, panels, gages, things like that.

Outside of antique stores, anyone have ideas on where to look for these kinds of things?

Thanks,

Dave
    Lords of Chaos, LLC
    House of Chaos Haunted Attraction

There's always ebay and...

American Science and Surplus - We're lucky to have their store in Milwaukee but they have a website/online store:

http://www.sciplus.com/
    (click under lab supplies and equipment)

Their stuff is new, so you'd have to "antique" it yourself by using tea and brown paint/drybrushing to make the stuff look old - but it's pretty affordable.

Their website is fun to look around on - LOTS of weird stuff.
    Blood & Kisses,

~ Nicole

Production Team Member
    The White Star Farm
    "Hey Baby, this blood's for you."

Comment

Dumpster-diving, owning a truck and being available when things get put out to the curb, along with doing this for usually several years and there you have it!
      We still have junk auctions around here too.
      A few years ago at one such auction an old coin was sold for $7,000!
      A week later it was sold again somewhere on the east coast for $130,000!
      Only a very few people at that local auction knew what it was really worth.
      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Don't forget to join your local "Freecycle" group through Yahoo groups and look around on http://www.craigslist.org under a location near you. They have free stuff and you may want to post an ad for what you're looking for, as well.

Comment

EBAY! You could probably even find a half eaten sub sandwich Hugh Jackman ate on the set of Van Helsing and thru away. People sell anything on there.
          Damon
          Damon Carson

Comment

Our Company will sell a resin caste set of lab dials and switches this year at Transworld, Booth 6530. Edge Designs
            Listen to them, Children of the night. Oh what music they make.

Comment

Michaels has a lot of small bottles of different designs right now.

Comment

Flea markets
                Giving People The Chills Since 2005

http://www.warehouse31.com

Comment

Thanks guys. I appreciate the ideas. Most of them are ones that I have been watching already. Craigslist and Ebay have had some results. Freecycle is one that I was not familiar with. I will check that out.

I have heard that in many major cities there are places that sell stuff pulled out of houses and such during remodeling, as well as excess building supplies from contractors. Does anyone have any idea what I am talking about? How to find them?

Anyway, any and all further ideas appreciated.

Dave
                  Lords of Chaos, LLC

Comment

Originally posted by Duke of Darkness
                    I have heard that in many major cities there are places that sell stuff pulled out of houses and such during remodeling, as well as excess building supplies from contractors. Does anyone have any idea what I am talking about? How to find them?

Dave
                    Here in California, they call it CALMAX (California Material Exchange). However, I'm not sure what it would be called where you are located. The link to California's is below so it will give you an idea where to look in your state. It's a government office.

http://www.ciwmb.ca.gov/CalMAX/

Comment

Hey Dave

try http://www.pdxrestore.org its in Portland Or

For everyone else google

Habitat for Humanity RE-Store
                      and your city

Good place for used and surplus building supply's
                      Gary
                      Midnight Evil Productions
                      www.MidnightEvil.com
                      Owner/Operator of www.CoffinCreek.com/
                      www.Twitter.com/CoffinCreek

Comment

Thanks Gary! That is exactly what I was looking for. I will try to go check them out in the next few days.

Dave
                        Lords of Chaos, LLC

Comment

I'm a big fan of our local flea market. They've always got tons of different vendors and they are generally willing to bargain with you just to get rid of the stuff.

I recommend freecycle, as well. It's free if you pick it up!
                          www.mindseizure.com
                          www.myspace.com/mindseizurehauntedhouse

Comment

We were fortunate enough to score a bunch of lab glass from our local high school. Many times at the end of a school year they rotate in new supplies and you can pick up the nicely aged ones. Mike
                            Mike Bizub

Ghouls Gulch www.GHOULSGULCH.com

Comment

My neighbor across the parking lot to the east is the vet clinic. One time their sterilizer went nuts and melted some plastic test tubes into a half puddle. They presented this to me, I put it on a shelf here as a display, it looked pretty neat.
                              The post-modern, primordal goo puddle, created by "Science" of course.
                              Test tubes half gone, sticking out of the puddle at all odd angles.
                              hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Working...
                              X