First Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Day

Hey guys, Im brand new to the forum as I just got hired at my first haunt, House of Horrors and Haunted Catacombs in Buffalo, NY.

I was hired after an audition last week and they didnt tell me anything besides show up on October 4th (my first scheduled day).

Im just wondering what I should bring or wear and even what to do when I get there.

Im guessing that I should wear all black athletic shoes, but other than that Im clueless.

Anything would be helpful as I'm really pumped to get started, I've been waiting years to finailly work here.
    Last edited by coasterfreak63; 02-28-2010, 06:33 PM.

Ok here goes
    Wear a long sleeve black tshirt with no logos
    Black pants that are comfortable and easy to move in
    black shoes and black socks
    Bring a gallon of water to drink (yes a gallon)
    Bug spray (in case you are outside)
    throat losanges (you might yell yourself hoarse)
    aspirin or Tylenol (your preference, you will be yelling and near loud sounds, better to have your
    own then to leave your station and miss groups for a tiny pill or two)
    baby wipes (to remove make up- I think it best to have your own)
    IF YOU HAVE ASTHMA BRING YOUR INHALER
    Bring those things in an unobtrusive gig bag and they will think you are a pro.

Here is a tip on what to do.
    Report to your house manager, do not screw around during instructions, do not bring your phone to show (leave it in your car) Find out what they want you to do, and do it. Most haunted houses will allow some experimentation in order to find out what works and what fits best in the room your in.
    Remember F.E.A.R.
    F-frightening
    E-energetic
    A-aware
    R-reliable
    Be those things and they will love you, I know I would.
    (most of this is on my actor training DVD, you may want to invest in one or two of those mine is good but I wont say its the best,be careful there are some stinkers out there that just give bad advice.)
    Best of luck this season,
    Allen H
    www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Oops,
      forgot to mention a small LED flashlight, very helpful.

Comment

Dont bring any weapons either.
        I know it sounds silly but a lot of people I know bring pocket knives and stuff "for convinience".
        Had an incident already, it fell out of someones pocket and a customer got it.
        So dont do it.
        And Allen pretty much covered the stuff you need to bring. It sounds like a lot, but its nice to have.
        And don't be afraid to tell the rover you need to use the restroom or feel like you need to prove yourself by skipping all breaks.
        Take your breaks and enjoy them, when the season picks up. You will miss them.
        Lots of newer people are scared to approach a rover for a bathroom break and end up not being able to hold it and have to miss a group.
        Thats what the rover is there for!

And yes, keep up the energy. Be friendly to your cast members, and pay attention when instructions are being given. Dont even take your phone into the haunt. Its my pet peeve when inbetween groups people whip out their phones and start texting.
        Rawr!

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys, I already picked up everything besides the flashlight.

Im really starting to get everything into perspective as how to things work.

October 4th just cant get here any faster.

Comment

Glad we could help, if you have any more questions. Feel free to ask them!

Comment

My haunt oddly enough doesnt do our own make up.

What kind should I get and wheres the best place to find some?

Im just looking for basic black and white.

Comment

If you're going to be directly under a sound system, or just cause a lot of high-pitched screaming, you might consider earplugs. This goes double if you're using a chainsaw.

Comment

Personally I hate earplugs and do not allow them in my shows. They can miss far to much going on around them. Sound cues, another actor asking for help, fire alarms can all be missed or responded to much later than is necessary if the actor cannot hear them.
                  Allen H

Comment

Originally posted by Allen H View Post
                    Personally I hate earplugs and do not allow them in my shows. They can miss far to much going on around them. Sound cues, another actor asking for help, fire alarms can all be missed or responded to much later than is necessary if the actor cannot hear them.
                    Allen H
                    I totally understand where you're coming from, Allen. Maybe I get overly attentive to this issue, because at my full-time job I'm a Sound Designer, thus my hearing is very important to me. Truth be known, I own some fancy-schmanzy (ie expensive) earplugs that lower loud transient peaks, but allow me to hear 95% normally otherwise (with good clarity). I wouldn't miss an alarm or call for help in them. After thinking over your advice, I agree that perhaps it would not be wise to use a pair of off-the-shelf plugs, that significantly limit your audio awareness.

Though do give some thought, CosterFreak63, to protecting your hearing as you're moving around your haunt. Once levels of your hearing are gone, they're gone for good. Try not to stand directly in front of loud speakers for prolonged periods (same goes for having chainsaws up near your ears). And to protect your patrons too, by not shouting or screaming DIRECTLY into their ears.

Comment

coasterfreak,
                      Our haunt purchases the WolfeFX makeup directly from the company, and it works great. That company also has a line available at WalMart, but I am unsure of the quality.

Comment

I just LOVE how Tim doesn't do Actor Training sessions! That is TOTALLY the best idea I've ever heard!
                        Mike Cirrincione
                        Executive Producer of:

M&K Workshop
                        MAC Productions presents:
                        Buffalo Badlands: Tinianna Home of The Tormentor *RIP*
                        AND SOON, Pandora's Box!

Skyrotechnic Illuminations
                        Pro Fireworks coming 2015

Cyber Saturday - a revolution in light and music
                        Coming soon

Black Hole Shows: Buffalo

Comment

Last edited by coasterfreak63; 02-28-2010, 06:34 PM.

Comment

As An Owner...

You are open to the frustration that comes your way from some customers AND the frustration coming from dealing with employees. So who can you fire?
                            The potential employees who express really goofy, sometimes dangerous ways of doing things don't get hired to begin with.
                            I used to just try to be happy with the employees that came to me already trained and never changed..of course the group in question were" Fashion Bug" (women's clothing store) manniquins I paid $20.oo a piece for.
                            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Last edited by coasterfreak63; 02-28-2010, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X