Cardboard Walls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cardboard Walls

Ok so this has just popped into my mind. Hopefully I'm not posting this in the wrong forum. For a home haunted house, would it be ok to use cardboard as walls? If you get the right kind they can be just as efficient as plywood and all that. I'm asking you for your opinions. Now im not opening a haunt this year but for 2010 i am for sure. What's your opinion for using cardboard as wall panels?

Thanks for you input.

Maybe find another alternative

Well in my opinion I wouldnt use cardboard, I used partical board, an 4x8 sheet costs roughly $6 and 4 2x4's to frame it cost roughly $2 each so for $14 dollars you can make a wooden wall section. I made about 6 of them and I screw em together and they are VERY sturdy and professional looking. YOu can work cardboard but its sort of tough. Thats just me though Here check my video of my garage haunt might help you a little

Matthew Colton
    Frightworld America's Screampark
    http://www.frightworld.com/

Comment

Don't do it! That's my opinion! Not only does it pose a fire hazard (granted it's only in a garage) but cardboard after being hit or run into will start to crease and sag and will become ineffective as a wall panel. Use OSB if you have to but also think down the road, if you were to try and open your own haunted attraction, you could re-use the panels you already have made out of wood.

Cardboard, to me, seems impractical in the long run.

Just my thoughts

Comment

Definatly, ANother alternative I did last year was take pvc and make wall frames, I then bought some scene setter wallpaper and stretched it across the frame and it worked great! Of course it was for a more low budget cause but it definatly got the job done, it was pretty sturdy and it stood up fine! Just be creative, If you have any questions bout garage haunting Private message me, I can share some ideas with you
        Matthew Colton

Comment

Cardboard ?

I know your wanting to use this in your garage but.... what happens if a kid decides to pull out a lighter or someone gets it wet or if someone trips and falls into it or kids bump into it.....outcome isnt good any which way I look at it.

I say DONT DO IT....

Save pulling out your hair and hit lowes for 4x8 plywood sheets and some 2x2's frame it cover it VIOLA.... more durable than cardboard, AND you can store it and use it for years to come....

Just my .02
          "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Malicious Studios
          www.maliciousstudios.com
          "HORROR FX THAT STICKS TO THE ROOF OF YOUR BRAIN !"
          http://www.myspace.com/maliciousstudios

Comment

nice haunt video. i do a haunt to in the same place u do yours. i have to haunts in mine one blood house and anouther psycho path.

the walls the first year i did black sheets of plastic that u can get 10 feet by 25 feet and thats what i did this year i am going to start making wood walls because the plastic u can move. i would not use cardboard for the walls. BAD BAD becuase they will fold up and not be as big no more.

Comment

Absolutly right! Spend the etxra money and it will benefit you years to come! Then the next year you can buy all props! Its really a good set up
              Matthew Colton

Comment

Originally posted by hoffie08 View Post
                nice haunt video. i do a haunt to in the same place u do yours. i have to haunts in mine one blood house and anouther psycho path.

the walls the first year i did black sheets of plastic that u can get 10 feet by 25 feet and thats what i did this year i am going to start making wood walls because the plastic u can move. i would not use cardboard for the walls. BAD BAD becuase they will fold up and not be as big no more.
                You're just messing with us, right? Does this last post make it official?

Comment

Since this is a HOME haunt...

If the cardboard is free and you only plan to use it one year, go for it.

You can use cheap 1X furring strips to add support.
                  Last edited by haunter112; 10-01-2009, 02:19 PM.
                  Guerilla Haunter

Comment

Hey THE FORSAKEN CRYPT, I watched your video, and your garage haunt looks pretty cool (far better than my old garage haunts!)... BUT isn't it very dangerous to light it all with actual candles?! If one of those gets knocked off their pedestal (or something/someone flammable knocks into them), you could have a REAL nightmare on your hands really quickly. Wouldn't be better to use fake candles?

Comment

Oh my god those arent real! THose are battery powered tea cup lights! Im glad that you thought they were real because thats what Im going for! lol Thanks for the comments though
                      Matthew Colton

Comment

no dude i am not kidding u i have 2 haunts at my house. yeah i was thinking the same thing about the candles they look real in the video.

Comment

Cool fake candles THE FORESAKEN CRYPT! Totally fooled me. Good luck with your haunt!

Comment

I think that use OSB would work out for you much better in the long run.

If you don't want to go that route, look into the treated black plastic.

"Accept that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue."

Comment

Wow! Thanks to all of you that gave me some cool advice. The black plastic idea sounds pretty cool with the PVC. But dumb question, what is OSB? Is it some type of wood material?

Comment

Working...
                              X