Truth in advertising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truth in advertising

I don’t think that it can be debated that, as consumers, we all insist on truth in advertising. When we buy a big-screen TV, we rely on the technical specifications and base our purchase on that criteria. Why should haunted houses be any different?

Don’t we all expect truth in advertising with Haunted Houses, too?
    I recently went to a haunted attraction in the Chicagoland area that was pretty raw. In fact, the didn’t deliver what they promised.

On their website, they claimed that they were “Voted Scariest Haunted House in the Midwest”. After visiting their event, I found that it was anything but. To provide a comparison that everyone here can relate to… This place was maybe 1/10th as detailed as the Darkness and the fright factor was about as fractional. Plain black hallways and simple scenes were what I saw there.

This was their second season, so this “Scariest Haunted House in the Midwest” title would have had to be obtained during their first season. And yes, I did go to their haunt the first year… and it was more rough than this year.

So here’s my question. If a haunted attraction doesn’t deliver… is it ok for them to make claims that they can’t back up, just to get customers to show up and for them to make a quick buck?

Is it a reasonable marketing technique? What do you think?
    Happy Haunting,

Adam Drendel
    Webmaster of http://www.HauntedIllinois.com

Visit us on Facebook for the latest updates! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Haunte...m/225595667213

It's obviously not right, but it makes them money so they evidently don't have a problem doing it.

This is one of those things that is unenforceable. Who can make them pull their advertising? I suppose another haunt in the area could sue them, and when the case gets to court in a few years a judge or jury might rule against them. Or not. Who voted them the scariest? It could have been a panel made up of their family and friends.

There was a similar thread on here a couple of months ago where I compared haunts to movies. You might see a movie review with "Scariest movie I've ever seen!" in big letters. Then down in fine print you see the claim was made by Joe Schmoe, movie critic for the Wichita Weekly Gazette. So the big name reviewers probably had a different opinion.

The only real remedy is word of mouth and online reviews. But another thread also pointed out the problem with online reviews. Family and friends can build up a bad haunt and trash good ones. So word of mouth is the only true remedy, and that can take a while to get around. By then, they've made their money and moved on.

I hate to play dirty, but fair is fair. Run a few ads and post some fliers pointing out that this haunt isn't the scariest in the Midwest. If you get any flak from the haunters, challenge them to prove it.

Comment

Originally posted by shawnc View Post
      It's obviously not right, but it makes them money so they evidently don't have a problem doing it.
      So then, it's ok?

Who voted them the scariest? It could have been a panel made up of their family and friends.
      Exactly. They just invented the whole thing and created the whole "voted" thing themselves.

There was a similar thread on here a couple of months ago where I compared haunts to movies. You might see a movie review with "Scariest movie I've ever seen!" in big letters. Then down in fine print you see the claim was made by Joe Schmoe, movie critic for the Wichita Weekly Gazette. So the big name reviewers probably had a different opinion.
      There is a BIG difference between these guys and your example. In your example, they actually quoted a source. In my example, they didn't quote anyone, because they made the whole thing up.

The only real remedy is word of mouth and online reviews. But another thread also pointed out the problem with online reviews. Family and friends can build up a bad haunt and trash good ones. So word of mouth is the only true remedy, and that can take a while to get around. By then, they've made their money and moved on.
      It's just these kind of fraudulent claims that give the haunt industry a bad name. Just my two cents.

Unfortunately, more and more people are resorting to these tactics.
      Happy Haunting,

Adam Drendel
      Webmaster of http://www.HauntedIllinois.com

Visit us on Facebook for the latest updates! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Haunte...m/225595667213

Comment

haunt organizations should have a code of ethics its members must adhere to in order to maintain membership. this kind of advertising should be against that code.A loss of membership in the future could mean loss of vendor discounts, and loss of lower insurance rates.
        these kinds of things are what the HHA could be helping with.
        www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
        http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

What goes around comes around

I think that this type of tactic has very short term benefits and will eventually kill thier show. The problem is that I think that we all suffer to some degree, because of a few jack asses. I think that every market has them, and when they finally go out of buisiness they will more than likely be replaced by some other jack ass that wants to make a quick buck.

We have a haunt in our market that advertises 2 attractions at the same location, and when you get there, the second attraction is a vortex tunnel.
          www.haroldshaunt.com

Comment

As a consumer it is our responsibility to review the reviews. Polls, reviews, and the like can be skewed to help any business and it is our responsibility to see who is behind it before we make a decision. It is no different than politics and the polls the present. If this is the "scariest in the midwest" who did the voting?

"Accept that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue."

Comment

I've noticed that some of the competing haunts in Pittsburgh have started throwing lines like that around ("Ranked as the scariest haunted house in Pennsylvania!" Etc) --- but they never actually attribute that ranking to any actual person or organization.

I always make sure to credit all of our kudos to their actual sources: Travel Channel, Fango, Hauntworld, etc -- so that people know it's a legitimate claim and not just pr shennanigans.
              Scott Simmons
              The ScareHouse / Undead Productions Inc.

http://www.scarehouse.com
              http://youtube.com/thescarehouse

Comment

I think that would carry 100 times the weight if I read a review with a creditable source attached to it. Great point undead!

"Accept that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue."

Comment

Exactly. Attribution. It may be annoying when haunts say stuff like that but the customers are smarter than you think.

Most people do NOT think advertising is true. They are more inclined to give weight to reviewers, word of mouth and other sources of information.

People who use shady advertising practices usually lose in the end...when they cannot deliver the goods they fail, and no one is there to help them.

However, I don't think any Haunt owners want Associations that attempt to regulate them in any ways. The reason being who will do the regulation? Three boards from now do we want HHA or IAHA board members telling us how to run our haunts? Who will sit on those boards and will they have an ax to grind?

I think the informal pressure of peers is the way to go. Codes of ethics certainly exist for extreme cases, but these should be extremely rare.

Thanks!
                  Ben Armstrong
                  NETHERWORLD HAUNTED HOUSE
                  www.Fearworld.com
                  www.NetherworldNetwork.com

Comment

false advertising

i have a new kid on my block here in columbus ohio...
                    and all the time i have to listen to how they are rated number one in columbus ohio for 6 years in a row..Not True..
                    every year for ever and ever the Hooch is featured in almost every local rag as columbus best
                    and this is their first year..
                    and the owner has his own website that has been discussed on here before..americasbest haunts..
                    pretty shady to own the haunt and claim u have been selected as one of americas best...hmmmmm..by yourself
                    but john q public doesnt know that...

sooo i just keep my mouth shut
                    and run the most kick ass haunt ever..
                    and it shows...
                    i think we have made just about every national review this year..
                    Fangoria, hauntworld,americas best online,haunted attraction mag,
                    associated content,bizarre mag,scarefactor, etc..
                    and all the local stuff too..
                    like columbus monthly best of columbus edition, Melt mag, ohio valley haunt review, city blood, the lantern, and more..

honestly i dont think it matters..
                    i dont think it matters to the public our ratings in anything..
                    or any other ratings for any other haunted house...
                    its the word on the street....
                    thats where the success comes from...

heres what i think sucks...
                    if a haunt is making claims..
                    and john q almost broke goes..
                    and only has money to see one haunt...
                    and is tricked into thinking he just saw the best columbus has to offer...

then that sucks..
                    in order to see the orchestra ...you must turn your back on the crowd...

www.HAUNTEDHOOCHIE.COM
                    www.DEADACRES.COM

Comment

"The BEST!"

Chocolate ever made!...but everyone's taste buds are different.
                      I have never wanted to be "The Scariest" for numerous reasons. Whether or not any haunters care or not the truth is every year people do get very scared to the point of never coming back to another haunted attraction.
                      Fear and it's creation are two very hard to define and control commodities.
                      Little children dragged kicking and screaming through the haunt front door is the most obvious bad-call but many adult sized bodies do not respond well to fearfull scenarios either and how will we know until later, if ever?
                      I think advertising as the scariest shows us the novice at work.
                      "Scariest"? They just terrorized the whole kindergarten class? Sure, that buys that claim.
                      (But did you really have to butcher those cute bunnys?)
                      Terrorize ten deep sea divers? That would be pretty tough to do, this I know from personal experience.
                      How about "Truth In Ads" by the small print at the bottom of the page saying something like :
                      "Scariest for ages 13 and under?"
                      This would also serve as a good warning, do you Really want your kid having nightmares, Mr. & Mrs. Parent?
                      Most parents like to sleep at night, when they can.
                      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Originally posted by drfrightner

Bottom line is this... I ENCOURAGE my local newspapers, or TV to put them all the challenge and expose haunts for whom they really are not who they pretend to be.... I think this is the only way to end the false claims to prove by some local media source its just bogus.

Larry
                        There's the solution right there: invite all of the media you can out to that "scariest haunt" and let them be the judges. The owners shouldn't object to some free publicity while proving their claim, right? Things like this are usually considered fluff pieces for the new reporters, but I think they will call it like they see it.

Comment

Truth

I see this also here. Its advertising to some degree I understand that and if they want to do it to themselves ,fine, it will come back to bite them in the butt at some point. People will catch on to it and know. What gets me are the haunts that know they are bad and then slam others to make themselves look better. They can't take the other haunts doing well or trying to do well. They want to control not only themselves but other information avenues. Everyone that comes out of these haunts know the truth. But if someone wants to use their staff and themselves to promote only their haunt ok fine. But don't use the staff/themselves to promote or post lies to hurt others. What one person thinks is scary another one doesn't. Some people freak out over clowns and chainsaws, where I don't. I can say I am Cindy Crawford, it only makes me look dumb when you see me and know I am full of crap. But to say everyone is looks like a buffoon ass is different. On a side note, I don't know what it takes to get some reviews from some national TV spots, but when I see on a house that is clearly not the best, it makes me wonder how creditable it it.
                          Last edited by WelchWitch; 10-13-2009, 02:16 PM.
                          ~WelchWitch

Comment

what I think is crazy is Haunts who charge $30 and it's a tent in a mall parking lot while Six flags charges $15 ( That's 3 haunts and the whole amusement park) Or claiming to be the best when paying their way into it .... I also feel that if you don't get a certain number of customers , like under 5000 people I don't think you could be ranked with the likes of Netherworld, Darkness, Field of screams etc. these haunts are powerhouses and everyone knows it..... bottom line is you could say whatever you want and at the end of the day if you cant deliver, they wont come back.
                            HHA Member

Comment

I do not believe Larry meant 90% of all haunts suck. There are some dangerous haunted houses out there that remain open until their first lawsuit. The reason why he felt fine saying that here is because the haunters on this board are actively seeking to make their show better by furthering their knowledge. The ones who read this are in the 10% of Larry's good responsible haunt owners. I think the number of unsafe haunts is more like 25% those owners have never been to a trade show or safety class. They are not ADA compliant, they still use plastic for their roof, they do not fire retard, and alot of their actors drink while working.
                              Im not necessarily defending Larry because I think he overestimated the number of bad haunts, but I do see his point.
                              Allen H
                              www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
                              http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Working...
                              X