Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To the point:

This is how you handle it...

1) I encourage my local media to review all the haunts go and see them compare apples to apples. That will produce evidence that some new fly by not haunt that says they are whatever when they are not is not as advertised.

2) Encourage the media to tell customers in your local area not to listen to the hype on a radio commerical but rather use this guidline to determine who are the best haunts:

a) visit websites: usually fly by nights have horrible websites that don't match the description of commericals.

b) watch videos: if some fly by night does not produce a video, they probable have nothing to show and everything to hide. Even the worst movie produces promo videos to showcase the film haunts are doing the same nationwide. If a customer visits the website and finds no evidence of proof to match the claims skip it.

c) photos: if the haunt has no professional quality photos that match the claims of the haunt then they have something to hide and skip it.

d) articles: do they show links to articles written about them, testimonials from people around the area or media sources? If not how can they claim the things they claim they can't so they should be ignored or viewed as false advertisement and should not be trusted.

e) media: will they allow the media into their attraction to review the quality of the experience, film and photo? If they say no its because they have something to hide. No sain business person would ever turn away media coverage especially when the intent is to produce a positive review.

Haunts should be able these days to produce a professional website, photos, videos and or have no problem inviting the media into their attractions to film, photo and review.

Again MOST OF THESE fly by nights (the only ones I'm refering to) do suck, have something to hide, false advertise, make claims they can't or never planned to back up and this is how you put them to the test. Let the media do it for you... that is what I would do!

Larry
    Larry Kirchner
    President
    www.HalloweenProductions.com
    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

The truth is the truth and in our industry there will always be rip off haunts out there hurting our good name! I hope my post on how to deal with them helps people overcome over-hyped haunts who are just out to make a buck! There are the exceptions people who do open new that are really creative, original, or simply a breath of fresh air, but they are few and far between because as we know they are some idiot who came by your haunt on a Saturday night and said 'wow look at all the money he's making' and they find a close by building, throw up some plywood, plastic skeletons and then talk about how its so scary no one allowed in under 18... LOL. We know its not true, and yes we worry about our haunts and how they might impact us, and yes it burns us up something stupid to know he's telling a bold face lie! We wonder 'how long will it take before the word of mouth kills them' or we wonder 'will people feel so burned they won't visit other haunts that year or any year ever again', we also wonder and or think 'that haunt is unsafe and could hurt the whole entire local industry', we think about all sorts of things I know I do as well.

When you put your HEART and SOUL into something like we all do we don't mind a new haunt coming along and raising the bar, it should inspire you, push you, make you work harder, but no one wants to see a HORRID movie where you feel totally ripped off, and certainly you don't want ANYONE to feel ripped off by an industry you and I believe is on the upswing!

One bad haunt, one fly by night haunt, could cause an accident that could hurt us all, simply because some moron wanted to make a fast buck!

So once again follow my tips and use their own haunt against them by encouraging the media to review the haunt, your haunt and all haunts in your area. This was the ONLY point I was trying to make, a point I might add was meant to HELP YOU if this happens to you in your local market which I'm almost positive happens every year by someone new who doesn't care about haunting like you, like me, like the rest of us who do this for a living.

Larry
      Larry Kirchner
      President
      www.HalloweenProductions.com
      www.BlacklightAttractions.com
      www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
      www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Trying to make everyone smile to relax and have fun

Ok now my original post looks stupid and out of place from everyone changing their posts. So I just changed mine. So I will only say now one thing BOO
        Last edited by WelchWitch; 10-15-2009, 07:51 AM.
        ~WelchWitch

Comment

Uh- huh, I see.
          Jared Layman

Comment

If it helps Adam, I was about to go to the haunt you are talking about( Bourban Street) until I read your review, the funny part about this was that the next day a friend came over talking about how "scary" the haunt the same haunt was supposed to be. I asked him where he heard that at? "I read it on their website"...so it works but people just end up disappointed, however, nothing is stopping them from just changing names and reopening next year somewhere else
            I bought all of the props for my Haunted Graveyard this year with the $600 in FREE AMAZON GIFTCARDS I got for searching Google with this site!
            http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/PrettyGood

Comment

BTW Adam, I think the Brookfield Jaycees deserve another review by now. I don't think they should still be judged on poor management from over 4 years ago. I don't even volunteer there anymore but I do know that they deserve a fair review by now....
              I bought all of the props for my Haunted Graveyard this year with the $600 in FREE AMAZON GIFTCARDS I got for searching Google with this site!
              http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/PrettyGood

Comment

Working...
              X