Fog machine help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fog machine help

Having issues with fog machines. Maybe ya'll can help me out. Over the years we haven't had the best of luck with fog machines, not sure why. So last season we spent quite a bit of money upgrading some of our fog machines. They worked great during season. When we stored everything after season we emptied, cleaned with vinegar, covered and stored all of them away. We made some changes for this season recently where our machines will be automatically triggered by customers instead of running all night long, some of our machines were overheating. When it came time to test the foggers recently none of them work. What's the issue? Does the heat here in Texas kill machines? Do you guys buy less expensive fog machines and throw them away at the end of the season? Is certain fluid bad for machines? We mainly had Chauvet machines and only used chauvet fluid in them. We had some other less expensive machines that we experimented with different fluid. All of them quit working. Got any advice?
    Last edited by MorgueofDoom; 08-03-2012, 02:25 PM.
    Daniel Burnett
    PR/Operator
    Reindeer Manor Halloween Park: Est. 1974
    13th Street Morgue/Dungeon Of Doom/Reindeer Manor

sigpic

reindeermanor.com
    whenhingescreak.com

I've never cleaned our fog machines

I've personally only owned two fog machines and I've never cleaned either of them. They get used durring halloween and speratically through out the year (possibly 2 or 3 other dates spead out over a year) I just add new fluid to it everytime I use one. Generally they get run dry and I dont check them before I put them up. The haunt I volunteer at has gone thru a few just about every other year due to poor storage conditions or damage during the haunt season.

I did find this interesting post on a theactrical site though...
    http://www.theatrefx.com/funfacts110.html

Hope it helps.
    Chris Riehl
    Sales@spookyfinder.com
    (586)209-6935
    www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

I had about 650 questions about fog machines. I went to Hauntcon and the first place I stopped was at the Froggy's Fog booth. The guy had every answer I was looking for...I would suggest shooting them a message via their website...or wait a few...I'm sure he'll respond on here also.
      Like a midget at a urinal, you gotta be on your toes

http://www.wellstownshiphauntedhouse.com

Comment

Originally posted by rfsystems View Post
        I've personally only owned two fog machines and I've never cleaned either of them. They get used durring halloween and speratically through out the year (possibly 2 or 3 other dates spead out over a year) I just add new fluid to it everytime I use one. Generally they get run dry and I dont check them before I put them up. The haunt I volunteer at has gone thru a few just about every other year due to poor storage conditions or damage during the haunt season.

I did find this interesting post on a theactrical site though...
        http://www.theatrefx.com/funfacts110.html

Hope it helps.
        Well that article pretty much told me the problem I think. Storing them without fluid after cleaning. We're gonna purchase more machines and try this after this season. Thanks for that.
        Daniel Burnett
        PR/Operator

sigpic

reindeermanor.com
        whenhingescreak.com

Comment

Originally posted by sean View Post
          I had about 650 questions about fog machines. I went to Hauntcon and the first place I stopped was at the Froggy's Fog booth. The guy had every answer I was looking for...I would suggest shooting them a message via their website...or wait a few...I'm sure he'll respond on here also.
          The froggy's fog guys are awesome! We buy from them every year and just like you we always have questions for them. Didn't even think about emailing them. Good to know for future questions. Thanks
          Daniel Burnett
          PR/Operator

sigpic

reindeermanor.com
          whenhingescreak.com

Comment

I've had mixed results with foggers. I spent around a hundred bucks at Transworld a couple years ago on a "professional" fogger. Come haunting season, filled it up with Froggy's Fog and got maybe three nights out of it before it completely froze up and didn't work the rest of the season... Meanwhile, my WalMart foggers made it through the whole season.

What I started doing was just buying all the foggers at WalMart and Target after season. When they clog up, I just toss em. Figure it's easier than trying to clean anything out OR spending hundreds of dollars on something that might not work the next season.
            Zach Wiechmann
            www.frontyardfright.com

Comment

Fog machines

Hello all~

Id like to ad my input if i may into fog machine maintenance and storage if i may.

As has been mentioned vinegar and water WILL help to clean out the fog machine systems..

HOWEVER make sure you use ditilled vinegar and DISTILLED WATER..

Normal water (either from the tap or like the ones you buy that says "filtered and purified") STILL HAS mineral remnants. and WILL eventually cog the inner workings of foggers when you run it thorugh for cleaning.

Run the vinegar and water mix ( i usually. use a 50/50 mix depending on the usage of the fogger)

empty out the fogger tank of all remaining fluid NOT by running the fogger ... but by dumping what remains back into the container it came in.

Fill the fogger tank ABOUT 1/2 way with the vinegar and water solution.. run it till its ALMOST empty add a SMALL amount (about 1/4 of the way ) of fog fluid in the tank.. run until the vinegar and water mix is purged you WILL smell the difference.

Re fill the tank about 1/4 of the way .. with fog fluid.. run again till it FOGS NORMALLY... DO NOT run till the tank is 100% empty.. if you do run till 1/4 of a tank full..

YOU WANT fog fluid to stay in the inner working of the machine.. fog fluid.. no matter WHAT brand have certain lubricants that will keeps things going correctly.

For storage.. MAKE SURE that where you store you fog machine does not get to MAJOR extreme temps.. from freezing to thawing. NO MATTER what fluid you have while storing it WILL cause damage to the machine if exposed to major temp differences.

When taking out of storage for the "working season" repeat (if necessary) the same procedure in reverse order. Empty (by dumping) the fluid.. clean with vinegar and water solution ans put fresh fog fluid in the machine.

I, personally, have used this method for many years since I have been doing haunts .. and have had ONLY 2 (out of about 2 or 3 dozen machines) not respond correctly by following the above.

IF you so have the desire to, I would also do the same maintenance procedure through the hear while the machines are in storage, especially if they are not store in a "controllable" area.

Just some thoughts.
              ~Lonewolf

Comment

Fog Machine Cleaner

Here are a couple links to some fog machine cleaners/unclogers:

http://www.froggysfog.com/product/CL...etacpg=CL-GA-1

http://www.thecostumer.com/p-20777-u...FYOc7QodemMAPQ

http://www.planetdj.com/i--CLEAN%20M...ent=googlebase

http://www.samash.com/p/American%20D...FUuR7QodDU4AHg

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/2...FQ-c7QodGzIAMg

I have used these in the past and never had a problem with my machines. Trust me when I say there isn't much that I don't know about fog machines and getting the effects I want out of them. Lord knows I have been through all of it through the years....

Ryan

Comment

Seven quick posts and all good information! Welcome to the forum Ryan

Comment

Thanks

Thanks Scotty. My hope is to help others from "reinventing the wheel". Been around the block a time or two in my 13 plus years in the industry. I don't know it all, but I'm always willing to help and learn...

Ryan

Comment

Working...
                    X