Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Want To Build A Haunt! Please Help With Suggestions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Want To Build A Haunt! Please Help With Suggestions!

Yeah, so it's been a couple years, like 4 since the last time I built a haunted house in my yard during October. I really REALLY want to do it again this year. I would like anyone and everyone's help though with suggestions. I don't want this one to suck terribly! Just to give you all a bit of set up, there are two backyard we are planning on right now. One's my friends who's is way bigger and more in a wooded area which would add to the overall creepy factor, and the others mine which is nothing special. Also, I'm a junior in high school so the budget thing, yeah, its a wee bit tight but my parents would opt to help me. So, please help me out. Where should I start and when should I hit the drawing board??????

The best time to start is...

Right NOW!!!

Comment

Originally posted by airman9332 View Post
      Where should I start?
      One thing to start on now is investing in props, costumes, and among other things for scenery. As you walk down your haunt's path, think about what you want to people to see or jump out at them. Daydream on the subject.

Originally posted by airman9332 View Post
      and when should I hit the drawing board??????
      NOW!!!

If you start early, you'll have plenty of time (and possibly money) to improve on what you have. Also, if you plan on building a maze then all the more reason to get started ASAP. Good mazes take time to make.
      Last edited by Smiley; 04-17-2008, 01:32 AM.

Comment

My favorite source for free materials

Dumpsters and thrift stores. As a high school student you probably won't want to be caught dead in either place, but they are great resources. Expecially the dumpsters in commercial/industrial areas. Stop by some of those businesses and tell them what you want to do. Maybe they will let you look through their scrap piles before they throw it in the dumpster. While doing this, it's important to think creatively. Don't look at something for what it is, see it as what it could be. Construction sites are another good source. Warped and short pieces of wood are useless to them but might be perfect for a project you have in mind. Sifting through the scrap pile can also turn up lots of discarded nails, brackets, hinges and other hardware. Hope this helps.

Comment

hmm those are all helpful ideas! keep em coming!! yeah during they day, when I should be focusing, I'm usually doodling what would be a cool set up, or creep people out, or anything really that pops into my head. What would be recommended as a good wall material? Wood? Etc.?

Comment

Do a search

for the word panel, which is what most people on here call their walls. There have been lots of discussions on them already, and all of your questions should be answered.

I can't believe how easy it is to build a haunt today compared to just ten years ago. There are tons of sites with tips and detailed how-tos, along with sites like this where you can have experts answer any question you might possibly think up. You can also watch endless videos on utube and other sites of existing and closed haunts for inspiration and ideas. It's hard to believe sometimes the things haunters did in the old days with just their own brainpower. And if you need to buy something, the internet makes comparison shopping as easy as can be. The resources available today are amazing.

Comment

No Budget Haunt

For a no budget haunt, wood pallets make good walls. Stack them two high, brace them on the sides and tops and you have some old looking walls. If you ask around at various industrial sites and retail stores, you can pick them up for free. If your dad or a friend's dad has a truck to haul them in.

Comment

wow, seriously, you all kick a**. I REALLY appreciate all the ideas. So, wood pallets? like stack them flat on on top of the other or on their side and next to each other?

Comment

Working...
                X