• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another question

Originally posted by Boni View Post
    Haunt is located in a town of 20,000

County has about 75,000

4 other rural towns within half an hour

2 cities of 150,000 plus within an hour.

Year one, 500 people, but all out advertising was local and so were our guests.

Year two, 3000 people. Feature articles in both major cities newspapers and our town's paper, billboards on major highway, radio ads, fliers in the schools.

40% of our guests were from our town
    30% of our guests were from the county but not our town
    15% of our guests were from the other rural towns
    15% of our guests were from the big cities.

So doing the percentages

6% of our town attended
    3% of our county atteneded (this includes our town)
    less than half a percent from neighboring counties
    around a 10th of a percent of the two major cities.
    Do you have a method to recommend for how to gather and break down the numbers? Did you poll your patrons or have different tickets for different places where they were sold?
    Sarah Meier
    Haunting Copy Copywriting Services
    "Words they remember you by"

Comment

Originally posted by Haunting Copy View Post
      Do you have a method to recommend for how to gather and break down the numbers? Did you poll your patrons or have different tickets for different places where they were sold?
      At Dr. Buzzsaw's Haunted Hospital, patients, after purchasing a ticket, are seated in a waiting room and our creepy nurse hands them a clip board "Before the Doctor can see you we need you to answer a few questions"

The survey was all about how they heard about the haunt, where they were from, can we contact them via e-mail next year, etc.

it worked great.

Comment

market

We are in a town of 17,000 with 35,000 in county near a bigger city (Ft Wayne) of 200,000 with 600,000 in metro area of which we are considered a part of.

Our customers are asked for their hometown at the door and a tally sheet is kept. We have done this the past ten years. Most recent years, 35 percent was from our town area and 65 % from out of town (at least 20 mile away). This past year, the in town numbers were 16.71 % because we feel we had more out of town guests and out in town numers were identical three of the last four years.

We had many from out of our marketing area that found us online and traveled to us, sometimes from personal referrals about our event. The internet is definately our friend.

We are in the 1% catch rate of our market probably.
        Brett Molitor (aka ~ JamBam) Member of HAA

Haunted Hotel-13th Floor (est by Huntington Jaycees in 1968 8) )
        Longest running Haunted House in the WORLD!!

Hysterium Haunted Asylum (old Haunted Cave), Fort Wayne Indiana

Hysterium Escapes - 4 rooms with 3 themes

www.HauntedHuntington.com

www.facebook.com/hauntedhotel

www.Hysterium.com

www.facebook.com/HysteriumFtWayne

www.hysteriumescapes.com

www.facebook.com/hysteriumescapes

sigpic

Comment

Brett - The website is beautiful. 1%? So, you guys are only pulling in th 6000 range during the season? Thats surprising.
          Randy Russom

www.midstatescare.com
          Mid State Scare - San Luis Obispo and Santa Maria's favorite Haunted House
          2013 - Hmmm, we shall see what gets conjured up

Comment

Originally posted by JamBam View Post
            We are in a town of 17,000 with 35,000 in county near a bigger city (Ft Wayne) of 200,000 with 600,000 in metro area of which we are considered a part of.

Our customers are asked for their hometown at the door and a tally sheet is kept. We have done this the past ten years. Most recent years, 35 percent was from our town area and 65 % from out of town (at least 20 mile away). This past year, the in town numbers were 16.71 % because we feel we had more out of town guests and out in town numers were identical three of the last four years.

We had many from out of our marketing area that found us online and traveled to us, sometimes from personal referrals about our event. The internet is definately our friend.

We are in the 1% catch rate of our market probably.
            Brett, that's a good idea, getting their info at the door! Kind of like when you go to Academy, they always ask for your zip.

Those out-of-towners, do you know whether there were haunts that were closer to them? Or was yours the closest?

Thanks
            Sarah Meier

Comment

Originally posted by rwrussom View Post
              Brett - The website is beautiful. 1%? So, you guys are only pulling in th 6000 range during the season? Thats surprising.
              It's common for businesses to run at 1%.
              Sarah Meier

Comment

If you call SCORE you are talking to a bunch of old retired people that will tell you to get some papers behind you, maybe a job at the post office and it's awfully tough to make a business out of a hobby. You will hear things like how old are you? Aren't you a little old to be playing halloween and all kinds of crap that might have been how they did it back in the day. Hey grandpa! do you think text messaging would work? How about social media? You have got to be kidding me. CHRIST!

You wanna find out how many people they saw? find their blabber mouth accountant.

Jim is old enough to be the haunted version of SCORE and he is right. YOu will not know until you do it. It is called "devoping a market" where perhaps one does not exist and may not exist until you demand it exists for more than 3 years. Some times it takes several haunts in town to jump start any serious intrest at all.

There is no one you can call, no group of people you can hang around and spend hundreds of dollars being pals and attending meetings and social events that is really going to translate into money in your pocket. It is great to get these people's quick blessing but they are not your customers. They in fact may be your competitio if they see "how easy it must be" to get people in lines with money to spend.
                sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Why don't you just pitch this idea to a nursing home. First hold up a sign to get everyone to turn up their freaking hearing aids. If you can get everyone clapping to some old song it will make them all have at least one happy day before they croak.
                  sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

The way the numbers work is this

If there are 4.5 million walking by there are probably 4,000 other things going on and 1% is good

If there are 1.5 million walking by there are probably 1,000 other things going on and you should be headed toward 4% return on investment

If there are 100,000 people wandering around aimlessly you might start out at 1% to 5% and over the course of years shold approach 10%

If there is a captive audience of 10,000 people you might get 40% of them to light a lighter to a moody song

If there are only 1000 people who care, you might get money from one in 20 so it better be a big ticket item like $1200 to 5,000 a pop

If it is a board of directors of 10 people it might take 5 years for them to decide to spend $10,000.

If it is just you hoping the system is going to work for you, you may get cable TV or something.
                    sigpic

Comment

yes Sarah

Yes Sarah we know there were haunts close to them We have had people tell us they checked out all the websites and we had the best one so that is where they cam e to. And were not disappointed.

There are also a lot of people that visit two, three, and four haunts in a season and know we are one of the ones to come to now.

Our name is getting lots of personal recomendations.
                      Brett Molitor (aka ~ JamBam) Member of HAA

Haunted Hotel-13th Floor (est by Huntington Jaycees in 1968 8) )
                      Longest running Haunted House in the WORLD!!

Hysterium Haunted Asylum (old Haunted Cave), Fort Wayne Indiana

Hysterium Escapes - 4 rooms with 3 themes

www.HauntedHuntington.com

www.facebook.com/hauntedhotel

www.Hysterium.com

www.facebook.com/HysteriumFtWayne

www.hysteriumescapes.com

www.facebook.com/hysteriumescapes

sigpic

Comment

Brett

Yes Sarah we know there were haunts close to them We have had people tell us they checked out all the websites and we had the best one so that is where they cam e to. And were not disappointed.

There are also a lot of people that visit two, three, and four haunts in a season and know we are one of the ones to come to now.

I wasn't trying to insult you. I was just wondering whether people will travel to go to the haunts.

The haunters I've spoken with were "sure" no one would go to a rural area if there were haunts nearby (in the city). So I guess there are always exceptions.

Again, I wasn't trying to belittle you. I'm just trying to get some answers for people who are interested in starting a haunt.
                        Sarah Meier

Comment

Originally posted by Haunting Copy View Post
                          I wasn't trying to insult you. I was just wondering whether people will travel to go to the haunts.

The haunters I've spoken with were "sure" no one would go to a rural area if there were haunts nearby (in the city). So I guess there are always exceptions.

Again, I wasn't trying to belittle you. I'm just trying to get some answers for people who are interested in starting a haunt.
                          Sarah, I don't want to speak for Brett, but I did not sense any anger in his response. I think he was just answering your questions.

Comment

Brett, as you and I have very similar circumstances in our demographics, other than you being much closer to the big city, how much of your traffic is from the other small towns around. Like Wabash, Marion, or Columbia City.

Comment

Yes "People" Do Travel To Rural Haunts.

But it would take alot of advertising to get them to travel to see a cookie-cutter genaric haunt, in my opinion. They may make that trip once. ("Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.") (Other four-letter words can be substituted for "fool" and often are)
                              The first haunt magazine to mention me was H.A. and in Leonard's article he said something like the Ravens Grin Inn is one of those places that you can't get to from here, or something like that?
                              Maybe like swinging from playground monkey bars from one route to another is part of the challenge to arriving at an urban myth?
                              I had Seven physical levels to this place waiting for them when they got here and if they couldn't follow directions, got lost and never found me, it just added to the mystique!
                              (I love part of the definition of the word "Mystique" = "the special esoteric skill essential in a calling or activity")
                              When someone is looking at the outside of my house and ask me why I would do such a thing, I'll say:"It's my calling." (And I picked up the phone, didn't let the machine get it!)
                              The only real time people seemed to be hesitant to make the 3 hour drive from Chicago to here was right after 9-11 when paranoia had people thinking terrorists were no doubt waiting to fire rockets into their kid's school bus as they drove across northern Illinois!
                              Actually terrorists in raccoon and deer costumes threw their bodies against bumpers.
                              hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Originally posted by Boni View Post
                                Sarah, I don't want to speak for Brett, but I did not sense any anger in his response. I think he was just answering your questions.
                                If so, my apologies to Brett. We're still in Hell Week at work (which is more like Hell MONTH), and I'm super stressed out.
                                Sarah Meier

Comment

Working...
                                X