X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems !!

Hey everyone
    i need some major help
    this year in making my haunt in my backyard and i want it to still have an indoor feel i just made it in the backyard for more space.
    So basically what i want to do is make a freestanding structure to house the haunt without breaking the bank. I would figure that it would have to be made of wood to some extent because plastic sheeting definetly wont cut it with the wind since this will have to be up for about a week and a half at least.
    Also we want the haunt to be anywhere from 1500 to 2000 Square feet. just the structure alone.
    I am also having a full size cemetary in the front yard with several coffins and tons of large gravemarkers. What type of theme for the haunt would go with the graveyard.
    Pretty much i am so lost in my planning that i dont know where to start building.
    So any ideas would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!
    Owner of The Fear Experience Haunted House in Cleveland, Ohio, voted the #1 haunted house in Ohio, and #14 in America by Funtober. The Fear Experience Haunted House was called the premier haunted attraction in northeast ohio by cleveland.com and #1 in cleveland by metromix.

Doing something similiar here to, been looking at wall design and found that oakislandgroup.com carries a fabric that can be connected to wood and or I was thinking doing a pvc or metal frame. It comes in rolls that will cover 75 4x8 walls for 750.00. It is paintable and is fire retardent. Not sure where it is on thier website but was refered to them by a professional freind haunter up in the Seattle area. Not sure if it helps much but looks to me to be the best bang for the buck and using the pvc or bolted pipe would make for easy storing.

Comment

Being "Available" and in the right place at the right time can't be beat!
      A few years ago I spotted two big dumpsters full of steel doors!
      I went home (10 miles away), rented a truck and trailer and scooped them up!
      they weren't "Free" (truck & Trailer rental) but talk about solid!
      They were being replaced, it was a low-income housing project getting new doors.
      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

You could try a small demo job. Contractors are always trying to get rid of what they consider trash. I've gotten anything from bathtubs, sinks, old plywood, drywall, you name it. If he doesn't want it, it usually means its up for grabs. ALWAYS ask first.
        John Jordan
        www.TheAsylumwv.com
        www.Trans-AlleghenyLunaticAsylum.com

Comment

Originally posted by UnDeRTaKer313 View Post
          Hey everyone
          i need some major help
          this year in making my haunt in my backyard and i want it to still have an indoor feel i just made it in the backyard for more space.
          So basically what i want to do is make a freestanding structure to house the haunt without breaking the bank. I would figure that it would have to be made of wood to some extent because plastic sheeting definetly wont cut it with the wind since this will have to be up for about a week and a half at least.
          Also we want the haunt to be anywhere from 1500 to 2000 Square feet. just the structure alone.
          I am also having a full size cemetary in the front yard with several coffins and tons of large gravemarkers. What type of theme for the haunt would go with the graveyard.
          Pretty much i am so lost in my planning that i dont know where to start building.
          So any ideas would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

A couple of questions first...

Are the "guests" of your haunt going to walk by the graveyard or through it?

Since the graveyard is in the front yard and the enclosed haunt will be in the backyard, folks are essentially going to be visiting the graveyard twice, correct? Once to get to the backyard haunt and the second time to get back to the relative safety of the street.

Would it be possible to direct the flow of your guests in a horse shoe pattern? They enter through the left side of the graveyard following a path past the side of the house into the back yard where they enter the enclosed haunt...travel through the haunt then exit on the right side of the haunt, exiting past the right side of the house and through a completely "new" part of the graveyard.

How is your house going ot be decorated? I'm going to guess that people aren't actually going to enter your home, but you have the opportunity to tie it into the overall theme.

Ok, now that I've played not-quite-20-questions and assumed the answers (I know...never assume) none the less, here are a couple of suggestions.

If your front yard is the graveyard, you could decorate the outside of your home to be the funeral home... the backyard haunt could be an "extension" of the funeral home - where all the real business is taken care of. Embalming and all the fun stuff. You could take it one step further and have the left side of your graveyard look rather ravaged (an empty grave here and there...shovels and fresh dirt with muddy tracks and drag marks leading to the backyard haunt) while the right side of the graveyard looks rather well kept with "fresh" graves. In the backyard haunt have a crypt keeper recycling coffins.

Just a few ideas. Hope they help either in practical application or inspiration!
          Madness does not always howl. Sometimes it is that quiet voice in the middle of the night asking, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

Comment

The first concern is safety. A temporary structure that will stand up to the wind won't be cheap, but you don't want it falling over on anyone. Even the cost of a standing structure that isn't affected by yhe wind may be out of your budget. If wind is a real problem, this may not even be a doable project.

The best bet may be a simple maze, with something on top to block out the moon and stars.

Comment

Working...
            X