No announcement yet.

What an fool... Naked Haunted House Offered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seriously, anyone who defends this as great since he got on the news is a fool. You sound like it doesn't matter if its good or bad pr as long as you get pr and make the news it doesn't matter. No accountability or care for portraying a positive example and a professional for the industry is reckless and a black eye to you other haunt owners. Defending him makes you like just as low brow and classless as him. Again if you have a choice for positive pr or negative pr and you choose negative, then you are a classless fool as well as anyone who doesn't see it for whatnot is is as well. You should want more for this industry than this bottom feeder mentality stuff don't ask to be taken seriously on one hand and them think this was good on the other you don't deserve respect then.

DA

Comment

WOW... DA I totally agree with 110%. And I'll go on record to say the people who tried to turn this around as I'm bashing are the people who are the true fools because they should look at each issue with fresh eyes and discuss the merits on an issue by issue case not what someone might have said 10 years ago. We were dead on right... and I didn't see one guy who slammed me for example run out and do their own naked haunted house.

I will admit one thing... I've been running haunted houses for 25 years now. My attendance has been on the decline for three years now. I can admit it... I'm a big boy. Yes I can pin you in a corner but I can also shine the light on myself as well. I've been doing a lot of thnking the last couple of about what I can do different... I've come up a lot of options. We can and will discuss them after Halloween... but one thing I can tell is a naked haunt isn't one of them.

I need to do things different me myself, I need a new spin on something we've been doing more or less the same for 20 years... yes we change the haunt probably more than anyone in the country. Yes our haunts are eye popping awesomeness... but that I don't think will cut it anymore we need something else. I think Pats haunt has been losing business as well over the ... he needed something drastic maybe but a naked haunt isn't it.

We need to figure out things we can do as an industry that shakes up what we because our ticket prices are just too high now... I have some solutions but again doing something crude em.

Larry
      Larry Kirchner
      President
      www.HalloweenProductions.com
      www.BlacklightAttractions.com
      www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
      www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

How's Pat's attendance? Up or down over this? If it's up, well then. If it's the same, then nothing lost. The only way this works out bad is if it's down.

And they're talking about the naked aspect instead of what? The butcher/kitchen scene that nearly everyone has? The scary clowns that wander through nearly every haunt there is? The ubiquitous chainsaw? Ooh, I know, the three-d fluorescent maze!!! I only see that everywhere. And you can go on and on--inbred rednecks, temples, tombs and crypts, puking animatronics, hanging body bag mazes--and squirting water. The list is endless.

If they really started talking about what was in the attractions they'd come very quickly to the astounding homogeneity of the haunt experience--and we sure as hell don't want that.

Even the TV shows try to avoid making it too apparent that all three great haunts they're showing you are frighteningly similar.

And they're similar because these are the things that frighten people--there's no laziness in us, there's just a limited amount of phobias that are broad enough that they can be played out in a haunt setting. So we work on getting better with what we do more than we work on finding new things--because new things are always chancy.

Worse, when a new thing works, it spreads through the industry like wildfire, so you get maybe a season of it all to yourself.

But what Pat did, no one's gonna copy. We're not gonna see a rash of 'naked and scared houses'. It's either a one-off or, if it does bring his attendance up, something he'll have all to himself for at least a couple of years

Is that good PR?

What IS good PR? I know what REAL bad PR is. REAL bad PR is people coming out of your haunt and calling it lame--for whatever reason, crappy makeup, bad acting, not scary. That's REAL bad PR.

But what's good PR? People coming out terrified? People using chicken exits? People pissing or crapping themselves? A bit back, one of our actors had an incident, he had to be taken out via ambulance. The EMTs thought his makeup was part of the incident--that he had some virulent infection and took all sorts of precautions before even touching him. After finding out they talked about it--and even deliberately used his makeup to pull the same gag on some of their co-workers after he was stable. They STILL talk about it. That's good PR.

Pretty much all of our good PR revolves around horrible things. 'Family friendly' is the kiss of death(unless that was your goal).

That's not bottom-feeding.

Being a conscientious neighbor, upstanding in one's business dealings, these are all good, but they're not PR. They don't bring customers in the door. Pushing our haunts to just shy of where the community is up in arms--THAT brings people in the door. And that is where we thrive.

Comment

I guess this naked thing was good PR cuz he's got all of you talking about it.

Comment

Originally posted by HauntedPaws View Post
            Nope! We're not customers we are haunters of course it's a topic we will be interested in due cussing even if not one source if media picked it up we'd still debate it because we're in the business. In other words, we're not the media so your point is invalid.

I've watched thus thread from afar. But Larry is right this is not a positive thing at all.

Jake

Comment

No...it IS what EVERYONE is talking about. The mass media in this country has covered this story all over. Shocktoberfest seems to be the ONLY haunted house ANYONE in the media is talking about it. So, it's working.

-Tyler
              http://www.hauntdesignkit.com
              >Download free Google SketchUp collections made just for haunt owners and designers.

Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/HauntDesignKit

Comment

Originally posted by HauntedPaws View Post
                And that puts money in his bank account how?
                Giving People The Chills Since 2005

http://www.warehouse31.com

Comment

Originally posted by SomeThingInTheIce View Post
                  And that puts money in his bank account how?

Because talk-talk gets walk-walk. Or hadn't you noticed? How many of us invite media to our haunts? Have radio station on-sites? All of that--and this may come as a surprise--is to get people talking about our haunts. Because when they talk about them, they say things like 'I heard about Bob's Big Haunt and Scary Clown Maze on the radio/TV--let's go check it out!'

Funny how that works.

Comment

Everyone

Everyone I have talked to that heard about this doesn't even know the name of his haunt/show. How is it good PR if most if not all people don't even remember his haunts name. All they know is naked haunted house. Most didn't even know what state he is in.

Comment

Son-of-Sam good to see you post on this and utilize common sense. Jack is so dead set on supporting it I'm thinking he knows Pat well or works there for him.

DA

Comment

Look the bottom line is what Larry said it himself...Whether or not you know what haunt was doing the naked and afraid challenge, it doesnt matter, people are talking. Larry even said this site is getting crushed on a daily basis. Imagine how many people are coming to the forums seeing all this horseshit about people calling each other names and stupid. If you wanna know why we arent taken seriously its because we cant even get along for a minute on anything.
                        Jesus loves you, but everyone else thinks you're an asshole.

Comment

Amen Tater
                          Phatman

Comment

calling people idiots and making character attacks is the most unprofessional thing here...not what Pat did...and as an extremely successful industry leader it is sad to be associated with this narrow minded bigotry

what pat did was make people think about haunted houses..right when we all want that to happen..

absolutely everyone has heard about this and the only ones that think it hurt anything r the ones it has helped and it has helped us all period...it put people in all of our lines..

people in our line cant stop talking about it..they want to do it...

some people r sooo blinded by their own arrogance its sad...their is no point to be made here..i say thanks Pat..thank u for helping put people in failing haunts line...

the funniest thing is how haunts that admit their business has been down for years telling someone else that they are doing it all wrong.....

so much bs on here its sickening....like facebook is not a good way to advertise...what a load of crap...please ask another boring trivia question on your fb and

tell me about how i am doing it all wrong...jeez wake up and see that stagnant content is just that.. stagnant content ...people want to be engaged...they want new exciting things..not static props and

cgi...its boring...its lame .....respectfully take this from a haunter with a different perspective ...one whose numbers are not down..from someone who doesn't have time to bash others...someone trying to help u see

a new way to be a better person and run a better haunt....theirs my 2 cents
                            in order to see the orchestra ...you must turn your back on the crowd...

www.HAUNTEDHOOCHIE.COM
                            www.DEADACRES.COM

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
                              Look the bottom line is what Larry said it himself...Whether or not you know what haunt was doing the naked and afraid challenge, it doesnt matter, people are talking. Larry even said this site is getting crushed on a daily basis. Imagine how many people are coming to the forums seeing all this horseshit about people calling each other names and stupid. If you wanna know why we arent taken seriously its because we cant even get along for a minute on anything.
                              And this... This is why I never post on these forums.

Comment

Couple things... again switch the topic around from the point to something else that in and of itself is pointless. First off Pat in my opinion did NOT try to engage people talking about haunts he tried to drum up business for his haunt nothing more or less. Lets not confuse the reality... he's getting crushed in his local area but all the competition in his area. The PR STUNT backfired and the whatever positive PR he was trying to get is still as many of you are failing to see backfired... the pr was about a naked haunt nothing else now there isn't a naked haunt. So I'm thinking he will lose more business than he would have gained. Sorry some of you who accuse me of being drama queens are actually the drama queens... you miss the point totally. I'm still waiting for one of you to do a naked haunt... still waiting for that one.

Tim to you... maybe you think abortion scenes, suicide scenes, or extreme violence is the only thing that isn't lame but we just have to disagree there. As for you mentioning Facebook me saying its not an effective marketing tool sorry Charlie but you are a guy who doesn't even advertise at all so how would you know what works best or what doesn't? I check my sites analytic and sorry to tell you but... facebook out of the thousands of dollars you can spend on it doesn't hardly send any traffic. At the end of the day you need people to buy tickets and if they don't use facebook to buy tickets then its not an effective tool to sell tickets. Reality is Tim I think what you do is cool its daring and on the edge you keep doing that because it makes you happy, excited, and your customers seem to love exactly what you do ... that is really all that matters. But because someone else doesn't do it doesn't mean we are lame. You and I or I should you and 99% of the haunts in the WORLD have a different thing going on... they can't be compared on any level.

What you do I think is awesome and honestly if I made a list of 10 haunts I'd want to visit yours would be on it so would House of Shock but that doesn't mean I will take on the extreme themes you guys do.

Getting back to the subject matter... one of these days some of you guys will appreciate me more when I'm gone. I inspired a really divisive discussion about this matter and we saw different views, different takes and different perspectives. Reality is about 80% of everyone who posted commented about the naked haunt across the country was negative... the community leaders negative in the end that is all that matters.

My main point was the community leaders would react negative so it was a bad idea... my point was 110% proven and I stand by everything I saw 110%. If you want to invite your real boss down on your head go for it. Tim you are not above the law and neither is anyone else, if your community leaders got on your bad side your haunt would disappear quickly! As Ripley said believe it or not! But that is the point my friend.

Larry

PS: You know who is dead on the money here... SON OF SAM! And honestly its sad to divert the main point a point we can all learn from folks. This is probably one of the best things that happened in the haunt industry this year. Because we can sit here and debate this topic and debate the logic behind doing it something like it in the future. I'm excited about all the conversation that has happened... but my main point is exactly what Son of Sam said... has anyone ever talked about his haunted house and the answer is no. The PR did not help him....and again this has been a very productive debate.
                                Larry Kirchner
                                President
                                www.HalloweenProductions.com
                                www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                                www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                                www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Working...
                                X