Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If this happened our industry would go out of business... read this

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2900984.html

Read this nutty congress person from MA I think... she thinks minimum wage should be 22.00 an hour. Keep in mind Obama is aiming to raise the wage to about ten bucks or so maybe more. With all the people we need to run our haunts we couldn't afford 22 an hour not to mention it might crash our entire economy. But even 10 dollars an hour would but a beating on the haunt industry.

What are your thoughts.

Larry
    Larry Kirchner
    President
    www.HalloweenProductions.com
    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

hmmmm

I guess there goes your animatronic theory =)~
    Last edited by CreepyCollectionProps; 03-18-2013, 08:44 PM. Reason: type o

Comment

Originally posted by CreepyCollectionProps View Post
      I guess there goes your animatronic theory =)~
      Lol I like that!

Comment

Here's Where that might be coming from:

Wages in 1965 and productivity in 1965 according to stats examined as of now: If wages increased with productivity they would be something like $85.00 an hour.
        Of course if a great number were making such an hourly rate, where would that leave those who can't work or retired when a dollar bought more?
        Productivity increased probably because of computers being integrated onto machines, which of course was not (directly ) financed by the worker operator of that machine, it was financed by the Corp. or stockholders-owner(s) who need to recoup investment money spent..the employee /machine operator would not be seeing all of the profit from increased speed or quality, but it might be nice to increase their wages more than they usually are...
        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

If wages go up, our industry will suffer. Come on...Really?

Since the beginning of time, wages have gone up. The more money people make the more money they spend. If people are making more...Im charging more. Its just that simple.......

Also, more people will come because they mske more money. Do you think alot of mininum wage earners can go to a 20.00 haunted house when they make 7 bucks an hour? They have to work over 3 hours to go to your house now.

Stew
          Last edited by Darksidestew; 03-19-2013, 05:36 AM.

Comment

Its a shame

That we have been so suckered into this mindset that if we make more you spend more. If they make "MORE" withot doing anything to "earn" more then the only thing will happen is all of the cost of living will go up which does nothing but keep the poor in the poor house. Its not just the hourly wage that makes people poor. Its bad choices...lottery, beer, cigs, too many kids 22 inch rims on your honda. So yes take more from me to give them more and guess what you might get their vote (which is all they really want) but you wont be better off. By making me have less (who runs two of his own business and risks my OWN capital to succeed) you wont make anyone else better off. Oh sure they might get more on their EBT or the Govt can pay for some more pet projects to get brownie points, but punishing the maker to cater to the takers will eventually land us all in the poor house! Now thats SCARY! Next year I am doing a themed Haunt called OBAMACARE! Its a haunt where a bunch of blood thirsty mindless Zombies are caring for the old sick and weak. Should be a HOOT
            Joe Phillips
            The Shallow Grave
            Winter Haven FL
            http://www.theshallowgrave.com/

Comment

If minimum wage goes up that much im closing shop and working at mcdonalds....
              Jarred Alcala
              Owner
              Shattered FX

www.Shatteredfx.com
              www.Facebook.com/Shatteredfxmasks

Comment

Originally posted by Darksidestew View Post
                If wages go up, our industry will suffer. Come on...Really?

Since the beginning of time, wages have gone up. The more money people make the more money they spend. If people are making more...Im charging more. Its just that simple.......

Also, more people will come because they mske more money. Do you think alot of mininum wage earners can go to a 20.00 haunted house when they make 7 bucks an hour? They have to work over 3 hours to go to your house now.

Stew
                I agree with you Stew 100%. I recently lost my job a year ago, a very well paying job. Since then I've found new employment 5 months ago but my pay has been cut down in half. I now have to think about things before I make any purchases at home and I can't spend money like I used to. I could see myself not visiting my local haunted houses this year just because I don;t have the extra money like I used to.
                ~Bill Mlinac
                The Deadland Haunted House
                www.facebook.com/Deadlandhauntedhouse
                www.Thedeadland.comsigpic

Comment

This would definitely hurt the haunted house industry just based on how many actors we all need to put on an awesome show.

I agree, we could charge more for admission or re-budget how many real actor scares needed vs. investing in more animatronics/special FX and hope we can still give our guests a great experience.

Short of that, it comes down to taking a hit on any profit to be made in future seasons if minimum wage were to jump considerably.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I read in The Wall Street Journal a few weeks back if minimum wage does get bumped to the proposed $9-10 range, it won't actually take effect until January 2014.

If that's true we will at least be OK for the upcoming season at the current minimum wage rate.

In either case this article talking about $22/hr is absurd!
                  District of the Dead Haunted House & Morbid Entertainment

http://www.BuffaloFear.com
                  http://www.MorbidEntertainment.com

Comment

I'm almost positive my Haunt Owner pays all of her employees at leas $10/hr already because she values the people she has.

I dunno about other places, but here in MA (where Warren is from) you can make $22/hr and it would STILL be hard to afford to live. I'm always shocked by how cheap it seems to live in other parts of the country.

Comment

$10 an hour now

I pay my staff $10 an hour too. A few get a little more who are part of set up crew. People we are at maze from 1 pm till closing get a good home cooked dinner as well and we dont bother to clock them out for their 15 -20 minute dinner time. Dinner is what you would think of as a farmers dinner, chicken or pork loin, crock pots full of mashed paotatoes, baked beans, sweet corn from garden. And before you ask yes my wifes cooking helps in employee retention. For a few guys those are about the only home cooked meals they get all week. Haunt has 20-25 actors, 3or 4 parking lot security, 6 maze cops so non family payroll is $350 an hour.

Don't worry about the $22 rate...aint happening.

Wicked Farmer
                      Last edited by wickedfarmer; 03-19-2013, 03:49 PM.

Comment

I think some times they just say something crazy like $22 just so when they pass a $12 min. people will thick how lucky they are not have to pay $22. Its just a game to them and we are the we are their puppets.

Phatman
                        Phatman

Comment

Obviously these folks suggesting this rate have never taken an economics course.

Comment

$22 an hour...

So then instead of 20 employees you drop back to 10 or even just 8, will this make your haunt safer? No. Will it make it easier for vandals to wreck your place during business hours? Yes.
                            Having cameras everywhere looking at every nook and crannie is worthless if one person has to watch numerous screens.
                            There has to be a certain number of employees with eyes, ears and legs to find and address any developing problems before they escalate otherwise owners are at the mercy of whatever walks in the door.(and then refuses to leave!)
                            My place is not just seasonal, so I can make people wait to come in , sometimes.....
                            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Regardless, an increase of minimum wage does nothing for anyone. Lol

Comment

Working...
                              X