Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Build Progress...

GOtCHYA! no build progress. Not yet.

I'm here for this reason though. I don't know how to do a steenking pole, so, who all would like us to blog our build? It's our first year, there's only 1 decent haunt around us, and they're a GREAT place. I'ts called Pumpkin Hollow if you haven't been, I suggest going! It's 3 elements with a 4th coming in (rumored) this year. Hillbilly slaughterfest and they care about their haunt and customers! So check'em out guys!

Now, with that said. I want to build sets. Like what Larry, and Kevin Mcurdy does. I want NICE sets, foam carving etc. I've never done it! This is our first year going semi-pro and we are giving it all we got. We're starting with a combined total of only $33,000! and a lot of that's already spent! We can't afford any animitronics unless we build them.

SO! back to my original point, who, if any would like to see me post progress? I don't want to take the time if no one's gonna care about a little ol stick like me, we're nothing compared to the huge guys here, but we're willing to share if you want to see it.

So just let us know here! I'll make a new thread when it starts. I'll post room pics before and after. We're doing a 2,000 sq ft haunt and an "exhibit" second. I am NOT allowed to speak of what the exhibit is about, but we will share the build.

Thanks,

Dewayne at Night Terrors of Northeast Arkansas

facebook.com/nightterrors.nea

One vote for yes! There have been other threads in the archives like that, and they are a WEALTH of information. If anything, it would be good to keep a visual record of your progress for yourselves just to have. But from what I have seen, the progress threads have really helped the posters too because problems come up, and these pros responses seem to have been very helpful to the original posters.

I'm excited to hear/see more about your success story!

Comment

Yes please

I don't know how much my opinion should matter since I'm still working on a location and funding for my first pro haunt... but I would love to read someone else's trials and tribulations.

Comment

Originally posted by Frightener View Post
        GOtCHYA! no build progress. Not yet.

I'm here for this reason though. I don't know how to do a steenking pole, so, who all would like us to blog our build? It's our first year, there's only 1 decent haunt around us, and they're a GREAT place. I'ts called Pumpkin Hollow if you haven't been, I suggest going! It's 3 elements with a 4th coming in (rumored) this year. Hillbilly slaughterfest and they care about their haunt and customers! So check'em out guys!

Now, with that said. I want to build sets. Like what Larry, and Kevin Mcurdy does. I want NICE sets, foam carving etc. I've never done it! This is our first year going semi-pro and we are giving it all we got. We're starting with a combined total of only $33,000! and a lot of that's already spent! We can't afford any animitronics unless we build them.

SO! back to my original point, who, if any would like to see me post progress? I don't want to take the time if no one's gonna care about a little ol stick like me, we're nothing compared to the huge guys here, but we're willing to share if you want to see it.

So just let us know here! I'll make a new thread when it starts. I'll post room pics before and after. We're doing a 2,000 sq ft haunt and an "exhibit" second. I am NOT allowed to speak of what the exhibit is about, but we will share the build.

Thanks,

Dewayne at Night Terrors of Northeast Arkansas

facebook.com/nightterrors.nea
        Don't bother with a poll, or a different thread.

Just start right here, right now, with your build progress, and keep us posted. Don't worry about forum interest. If you set yourself on fire, people will come from for miles just to watch you burn. Just start posting and burn brightly. You will probably give many others hope and inspiration, which I have found is much needed.

C.

Comment

Finally got my 6,00 sq ft cleaned out. Can't do a "haunt" per sey, but I can do an "exhibit" that my FM agreed upon.

I got a somewhat, slapped together.. and I do mean EFFIN SLAPPED TOGETHER jig, yesterday. Built 2 frames, no skin yet.

I'll get pics up of the building and jig when I locate my camera! We moved to the apartment in the large building and can't find crap now lol.

Dewayne

Comment

Night Terrors

Hey man hope things are going well congrats on the Spot and hearse looks good . Just a thought maybe show some movies on a projector for que line entertainment . We have been Night Terrors since 2009 here in little rock and we have decided since you have already wrapped your hearse and it is your first year and you are working so hard and All, that we will be changing to a different name and venue . So with that said we wish you the best of luck for this season and hope you rock it out man . Take care 501-398-FEAR

Comment

D'oh! Man I had seen the NT name in like alabama and florida but never saw one for Arkansas. Everyone was like "well everyone in this area that knows about you and your parties etc know Night Terrors" so we were suggested, that since there were night terrors around, to do NT of NEA (northeast arkansas).

Sorry to infringe, I know it sucks. Only so many good names out there and every time I "come up" with something, it's taken somewhere too, lol. That's life.

So what ya'll gonna rename to? Interested. *(I like names :P )

Back to your post. Things are going slow actually. BUT! We did come up with a new game plan. We're doing a few 1,000sq ft buildings to keep in code and doing transitions from building to building. We're doing a 1,000ft house to a 800ft tunnel, then to 2 different carports that are just under 1,000 ft.

Just over 3k total for us this year. THe house is incredibly creepy as it is. So we've figured a flow path that'll work pretty well. I've gotten a few things made and tomorrow in fact, my job is to build the 2 magic doors and get the Camaro ready for delivery.

We'll be hitting it full force next weekend so hopefully I'll have my camera back and be getting some pic's in!

Dewayne

Comment

Pictures!

Well, we got our 2 x 1,000 sq ft metal buildings down and we got 2 side walls skinned. Kind of a PITA but we got it done.
                We'll be working on the other 2 sides next week.

We also have the house that's about 1,000 sq ft that we've started on. I've got a few pics of the walls we tore out. The door ways I cut are in the closets.
                The house itself was really jacked up by the last tennants, and when they refused to pay rent and was evicted, they stole all the copper out of the house. . . WHILE the water was on!! Idiots.
                SO that's why the carpet is all pulled up and why the house looks nasty. Walls all have holes in them, spray paint inside of the house on the walls, windows busted out, etc. But we got it all cleaned up and
                ready for it's transformation.

East 1.JPG
                Ends 1.JPG
                Door Cut 3.JPG
                Details 1.JPG
                Kitchen 2.JPG

Comment

Bathroom 1.JPG100_3333.JPG100_3334.JPG100_3335.JPG100_3336.JPG

Here's the bathroom we're doing a death scene in and just some of the piles of goodies going in for detailing.

I'll post more pics when we get more done.

Dewayne

Comment

Well, we got our 2 x 1,000 sq ft metal buildings down and we got 2 side walls skinned.
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]12976[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]12977[/ATTACH]
                    You know, I'm seriously liking the look of these buildings. When you said "carports", I was thinking of something a bit more rinky-dink than that.

What are the dimensions of these buildings, and where did you get them from? Link? What do they look like when they break down and get stored away? (Assuming you need to, of course.)

C.

Comment

Originally posted by BrotherMysterio View Post
                      You know, I'm seriously liking the look of these buildings. When you said "carports", I was thinking of something a bit more rinky-dink than that.

What are the dimensions of these buildings, and where did you get them from? Link? What do they look like when they break down and get stored away? (Assuming you need to, of course.)

C.

I'm not sure where Frightener got them but a quick google search pointed me to carportempire.com and they even list prices.

A frames >> http://www.carportempire.com/building-prices/g1-2.php
                      O'Shawn McClendon
                      Creative Chair -- Operator: Cayce-West Columbia Hall of Horrors

One mans junk is another mans kick-ass new prop...

http://www.hallofhorrors.com

http://twitter.com/hallofhorrors

http://cwchallofhorrors.blogspot.com

http://www.youtube.com/hallofhorrors

http://www.myspace.com/cwcjc_hallofhorrors

Comment

coasttocoastcarports.com But, they actually have a few websites. When I first got a hold of them, it was through a brochure from a dealer locally. Whenever you see one of those round topped carports that say "Starting at $595" , that's usually them.

These are 24 x 41 ft. They really don't need to get taken down and stored away. That's a lot of work! Plus, you'd be putting a lot of new holes where they shouldn't be. Really, in my opinion, these things shouldn't be moved more than once. After that the metal would be having so many holes in the joints they'd be weakened for sure.

They've already gotten much more sturdy since putting up the one side.

I don't have a diagram available to link just yet, but these buildings and the tunnel leaving the house that goes to the buildings will NOT be intersecting. Instead, we have a design of wall systems that patrons can't look out, and people can't see in while people are transitioning from one section to the next. They won't be connected at all. This is what the FM and I agreed upon that'll be safe and legal. He said "Man, as far as i'm concerned we're good. Just get your building permits and zoning and you should be good to go!"

... So here we are! lol.

Dewayne

Comment

Well, let me congratulate you on a brilliant solution. I was seriously having doubts, having seen some rather rinky-dink carports before, but those are quite impressive.

I can't wait to see how this build progresses.

C.

Comment

Thanks, C.

Well, I don't have pics ready, ( i know, stfu and come back when I have em, right? lol) But we got our first end wall done. Still need the gable end of the building done, but not sure what "budget" way we're going about it. We got our 4' forier (sp?) done and about 8 or 9 panels up. I've already started with the foam on the outside. For kicks, before it stormed today I did some carving on the foam.

To cut cost down, we decided to use only 1 sheet of 1/2" foam on the wall panels, only on the outside portion though. I'm doing 2ft blocks center stacked to make it easier. I've got some heatgun work done, but realized that I need a lot more to go.
                            Speaking of the foam, I have a question. I've seen talk about hard coating the foam. But what IS the main reason? Once we heat it, the foam gets very hard. Heck, my dremel even had a hard time going back over some of the work because it was so hard. Is it jsut for patron durability? If pat's aren't going to be touching it much, should I just paint it and see how it goes?

Also got some props going as well. I'm trying to replicate one of my favorite scene's in Larry's The Darkness tour. It was the bald dude with a egyption cross necklace over a broken tomb / sarcophagus. I loved that scene so I found a mask I thought was close and made a PVC frame with chicken wire sculpt. He's a little square but I think will look good.

Thanks, I'll get some pics of in a day or so :P

Dewayne

Comment

Speaking of the foam, I have a question. I've seen talk about hard coating the foam. But what IS the main reason? Once we heat it, the foam gets very hard. Heck, my dremel even had a hard time going back over some of the work because it was so hard. Is it jsut for patron durability? If pat's aren't going to be touching it much, should I just paint it and see how it goes?
                              I idea behind building fake sets (foam walls included) is to reproduce the look and feel of the actual material you're duplicating. The hard coat should give you a bonding surface for your paint as well as acting as a more durable coating than the foam it self.
                              Chris Riehl
                              Sales@spookyfinder.com
                              (586)209-6935
                              www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Working...
                              X