No announcement yet.

New tutorial posted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the link to Harbor Freight. It might be worth me traveling and stocking up instead of racking up my bill at the paint company!
    sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

I tend to clean even cheap brushes over and over and then go complain at the paint store that their paint screwed up a brush I have had since high school that has great sentimental value. Sometimes they hand me one. I also threaten to back charge employees for scrubbing a quarter inch off of the bristles from doing hundreds of feet of work.
      sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Greg,
        I need to get a t shirt made that says "I kill brushes". I used to save them, now i dont. If I use a brush I cleaned and had used for latex, then it would keep a batch of silicone from kicking. real bad chance of cross contamination and silicone is to expensive to risk it. Also every time you use them for silicone or fiberglass they are doomed anyway. For a long time i kept the wooden handles hoping I could find a use for them...I gave up.
        www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
        http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

I can see the killing. We do a lot of acrylics and there are brushes that lives in a bucket of water with it's roller friend like fish. After they get rinsed they go in the fish tank rather than allow them to dry out even the slightest. The epoxies I just pour out and use the same drill over and over, paint stirrers that are free or popsicle sticks (something from my childhood). The clear coats also have a gallon can and the brushes are under clear coat for many jobs. Actually thousands of square feet. The artist brushes I have used over and over for at leat 20 years. Same air brushes for about that long.

I must say, you have rekindled the research scientist in me. Monday will be what kind of sand would you like in or on your clear coat day for a customer. Choose and chose well my customer. I already know what you need but apparently you wish to be experimented on. Fine. Smell the clear coat. Get it on your fingers and know I have been there for the rest of the day. No clean up thinner on a rag for you mister picky.

Shame the fuller brush man doesn't come knocking while you have your "I kill brushes" T-shirt on. Maybe there is a brush convention you could wander around at the entrance? Doing the thing with the eyes.
          sigpic

Comment

Maybe the handles painted a dark color with a piece of plastic painted silver could look like you had gotten 80 stab wounds with the knives all there. Never mess with a Ginsu Salesman. Get 40 stab wounds, get the second 40 stab wounds for FREE!
            sigpic

Comment

Awesome Tutorial, Allen! I was just talking to my monster making partner today at a cookout about figuring out a way to make something similar to perma-blood for one of our scenes. You saved me many research dollars that can be re-purposed as materials money. Thanks!
              Chris Riehl
              Sales@spookyfinder.com
              (586)209-6935
              www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Thank you

Allen thanks for the information, it helps greatly when you cant afford 100.00 for blood... Please let us know how the Cheaper gallon glue does when you get it...

Thanks

Geoff

Comment

It did great I posted that in the comments of the video.

Comment

I've tried the acrylic gloss stuff as well... it's very hard to get the color a deep enough red.

Comment

Good post Allen!!! It's great...you have a George Wallace attitude..."Always be thinkin'!!!".

Noticed the comments on using other bases and the inability to hold the tint color.
                      The clear glue base works well with the food coloring because they are both water based.
                      I think you even said with shellac it was an oil and water thing, which it exactly the problem.

A haunt friend also does furniture repair and restoration and he was saying if you use say a
                      shellac as base then you need lacquer based color. Sort of oil & oil, water & water!!

Krylon carries an industrial brand of paints that are laquer based. I had some brown and black
                      spray paint to use for furniture touch up and I sprayed the paint into some shellac I was coating
                      some rotten food props with and it seemed to hold the color well.

Since you're our "Haunt Myth Buster" here's something else to try!! Lacquer colors in resin or shellac
                      bases. If you can't find the lacquer based paint at your Lowes or Home Depot (I couldn't) they
                      are available through Grainger's.

Keep up the testing, I love the results!!!

I went out and bought the clear glue just to try a batch, seems like a good thing to keep in my
                      "Haunt First Aid Kit"!!

QUICK NOTE: I was at the dollar store and found Elmer's No Run School Glue GEL.

As a gel it has a thicker viscosity so you could use it where you want more "clotting"
                      or you don't want a run off, but more of a pooling.
                      It has a slight green tinge in the bottle, should have no effect on the tinting.
                      You may even be able to combine the two for a perfect "run" pattern!

See you keep US thinking!!! Something ELSE for you to play with!!

Thanks Allen!!!
                      Last edited by RJ Productions; 07-12-2011, 01:50 PM.
                      R&J Productions
                      Las Vegas, NV
                      www.LasVegasHaunts.com

Comment

great!!!

I was about to ask how to keep it from running off and clotting more.... I will try that.... Allen, I tried the clear glue and followed the steps and measurements and it work perfect today... just needed to stay in place a little better...

Thanks again,

Geoff

Originally posted by RJ Productions View Post
                        Good post Allen!!! It's great...you have a George Wallace attitude..."Always be thinkin'!!!".

Noticed the comments on using other bases and the inability to hold the tint color.
                        The clear glue base works well with the food coloring because they are both water based.
                        I think you even said with shellac it was an oil and water thing, which it exactly the problem.

A haunt friend also does furniture repair and restoration and he was saying if you use say a
                        shellac as base then you need lacquer based color. Sort of oil & oil, water & water!!

Krylon carries an industrial brand of paints that are laquer based. I had some brown and black
                        spray paint to use for furniture touch up and I sprayed the paint into some shellac I was coating
                        some rotten food props with and it seemed to hold the color well.

Since you're our "Haunt Myth Buster" here's something else to try!! Lacquer colors in resin or shellac
                        bases. If you can't find the lacquer based paint at your Lowes or Home Depot (I couldn't) they
                        are available through Grainger's.

Keep up the testing, I love the results!!!

I went out and bought the clear glue just to try a batch, seems like a good thing to keep in my
                        "Haunt First Aid Kit"!!

QUICK NOTE: I was at the dollar store and found Elmer's No Run School Glue GEL.

As a gel it has a thicker viscosity so you could use it where you want more "clotting"
                        or you don't want a run off, but more of a pooling.
                        It has a slight green tinge in the bottle, should have no effect on the tinting.
                        You may even be able to combine the two for a perfect "run" pattern!

See you keep US thinking!!! Something ELSE for you to play with!!

Thanks Allen!!!

Comment

Another thing you could do Geoff is to mix it up, then pour it out into a shallow tray, let it breathe a bit and get a touch firmer. Tomorrow is another update and I may do a bit of a blood update! as well as the new video.
                          Im so glad its useful to you guys.
                          Allen H

Comment

tutorial

Hello Allen thank you for the tutorials . You are a blessing to the industry.
                            Can you do a tutorial on how to make our own catacomb or the type of walls in the que line at darkness i think they are really cool . Can you also do one on how to do the lagoon effect and placement of the mirrors like you touched on when building your cave . We are also considering making our own mirror maze maybe with mirrored tint or mylar but need some help thank you very much Pat

Comment

Kaotic,
                              can you nab me a pic of the Darkness walls?

Comment

not my video

about 45sec in and when i was there I noticed the walls texture, bones and skulls are soft foam like a nerf ball.

Comment

Working...
                                X