Use of symbols…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use of symbols…

Do you use satanic symbols or hate group symbols in your haunt? How are peoples reactions? Do you think it helps the haunt or hurts the haunt? I don’t and wont in my haunts just wondering what everyone thinks..

Peter T
    FS
    Fables Studios
    Your Home For Horror

www.FablesStudios.com
    https://www.facebook.com/FablesStudios

I dont and wont. I think I dont need the crutch to scare people. I will often make up symbols to convey the meaning but Id never reasearch them and add them in.
    Allen H
    www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

I don't believe they have a place in haunted attractions. As Allen mentioned, I think they are a crutch. Plus, the last thing you need is some religious group protesting at your haunt.
      Zach Wiechmann
      www.frontyardfright.com

Comment

I use.

Some symbols that may offend some customers , if they can't see the humor in the way I use them.
        It was against the law in Nazi Germany if you produced or sold Hitler "Kitsch" such as manufacturing paper plates with Adolf's likeness realistically reproduced on them.
        I would be in serious trouble if it was 1938 and I was in Germany using those symbols.
        Some customers question my using them but I just tell them , "My Great-Grandfather Katzenburger would understand and probably be proud of me. ("Katz" one the oldest surnames going back 3,500 years in Jewish culture.)
        No matter what you do in a haunted house, somebody will complain, at least somewhat. It's human nature.
        "If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen".... Or just stick your head in the freezer!
        OR go outside and sit in the swing and look at the clouds...or chase pesky squirrels on your trike!
        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

I'm going to go with Allen and say keep they out of haunts. there are many other things you can do that are just as effective and dont offend people. If you want to make it intense go for bllod and gore.

Comment

That is House of Shocks Niche...find your own. :P But seriously, I think if used subtly it could add just a small added layer. But not necessarily satanic symbols or hate group symbol. Think of it this way, your haunt is a story and not based in reality why would you use real life hate inspiration in your haunt? Create your own versions, heck I think I've seen smiley faces used in a pretty evil way...or that might be in a video game...whatevs.

Comment

Symbols and heralrdry are key for us, create your own it might look cooler and there's no stigma attached to it!

Allan

Comment

I Actually Had a Book

That illustraited ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics. I copied some of these in my attempt to actually communicate a "story", of sorts, not than anyone would know what it meant, even if accuratly done.
                I thought it added some intrest to an otherwise drab wall. The rough translation was sort of like:Kom aynd lizten to a storee about a mahn named Jedd, a puur mountain mmahn barely keppt his family fed, then one dai while shoootn at dsum foode.."
                hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

i have to say im split here... hate symbols, absolutely not. satanic symbols, eh... kinda hard to find hell-themed stuff without a little bit of symbolism already in the designs (pentagrams and such)

As far as you, physically being the one to add symbols to your haunt, the best route is to make them up. you dont offend anyone, and you can make some really cool and convincing designs that are unique to your event and your storyline.

Egyptian hieroglyphs are another thing altogether. Thats an alphabet, more than a set of symbols. at least in my mind.... but again, you could always pull an imagineering move and make up your own heiroglyphic alphabet ala the indy ride.
                  -Mat

Comment

Where I live, it's usually a safe assumption that if you see satanic symbols in a haunt, you've been tricked into patronizing a Hell House. I made that mistake once, and now whenever I see demons being glorified in a haunt, I switch off.

It's my personal opinion that religion of any kind should be kept out of haunts.

Hate symbols are a turn-off in general. They make me angry. I would probably never return to a haunt that displayed hate symbols, even if it was only displayed for the purpose of scaring people. Unless it was a haunt centered around real life historical horrors or something like that.
                    Chris Riehl
                    Sales@spookyfinder.com
                    (586)209-6935
                    www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos is good for that sort of thing.

C.

*Cthulhu 2012: Why Vote for the Lesser Evil?*

Comment

If I can't come up with unique ways to setup scenes and scares without having to use pentagrams, etc., I'm in the wrong business. Seems every year a staff member will want to do a priest scene or satanic scene....not in my back yard
                        Like a midget at a urinal, you gotta be on your toes

http://www.wellstownshiphauntedhouse.com

Comment

Originally posted by sean View Post
                          If I can't come up with unique ways to setup scenes and scares without having to use pentagrams, etc., I'm in the wrong business. Seems every year a staff member will want to do a priest scene or satanic scene....not in my back yard
                          Blame The Exorcist.

C.

Comment

Hate symbols? You mean a swastika or Black Panther party logo? Doubt anyone would be using them in a haunt anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by Deathwing View Post
                              Hate symbols? You mean a swastika or Black Panther party logo? Doubt anyone would be using them in a haunt anyway...
                              A neighboring haunt of ours had a nazi zombie scene and there was a shredded up banner with a swastika on it, so I wouldn't say that no haunts use symbols of hate. With that said though, if these ideas are implemented, just be sure to proceed with caution and make sure you don't cross the threshold to where it would appear that you're promoting that affiliated symbol.

Comment

Working...
                              X